Post-Game Talk: Sharks 3 - Jets 2 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We don't have that heavy shot - but JoMo has shown that he can get it through to the net. That said, I still wish we had the heavy shot.

IMO, the guys that can get this PP moving are the three I mentioned - and the rest should follow. KC and Scheif need to step into the center ice area once in awhile (ala Ehlers) - that gets Nino moving. JoMo is trying to walk the blueline but he's not getting much movement from 55/81 - they stick to their walls when they should be either swapping positions with 44 or following him. This may not solve all our problems but it would be a step in the right direction.

I agree that I did simplify the solution - there's more to it - but I do think it's where it needs to start.

How many top pp now rely on a howitzer from the point? I don't think it's all that many myself. All the top dmen these days specialize more in getting it through for tips and rebounds. Outside of Tampa I wouldn't say any of the top 5 units relay on a heavy point shot.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I get pissy at some of ehlers wing and a prayer passes, but his tendency to move north and south on the PP would help PP1 a bunch. Open some lanes. We Could also start using the bumper a lot more but not just for one timers. I noticed when Nino was first placed there, someone sent him the puck and he threw it right back as fast as he got it. Surprised the heck out of Connor I think. San Jose was so aggressive that quick back and forths would have created some opportunities imo.

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
How many top pp now rely on a howitzer from the point? I don't think it's all that many myself. All the top dmen these days specialize more in getting it through for tips and rebounds. Outside of Tampa I wouldn't say any of the top 5 units relay on a heavy point shot.
A lot of PPs have it as an option, not necessarily as the go to. But along with more movement we need to create more options.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
While agree with most of what you said, I wouldn't let the coaching staff off that easy. I think as currently designed our PP is easy to box out and make static. When our PP was at its very best in the early years of Laine. Wheeler was the QB from the right, but there was 3 options for him, Laine cross seem, Scheifele bumper and Buff with his heavy shot from the point. The way the PP is designed now is Morrissey QBs from the left point and we go around and around through him as our options are all around the outside. Morrissey, Scheifele and Connor being more active is only a partial solution as it is still easy enough for a good PK to box out since we don't have that heavy point shot as the 3rd option, and really Scheifele and Connor are playing the same role on opposite sides of the ice. I think Nino will help as a bumper, but with Morrissey being the distributor we rarely have that 3rd option we had with Buff.
I have a hard time agreeing with this, as Morrissey's slap shot was 2nd fastest at the All Star Game, and it was clocked at 94 mph, if my memory is right. That is "plenty" fast enough, and he scored 2 goals in the previous game, from the point.

I guess you could find a harder shot, like Buffs, but not much faster. I don't think that's the Jet's problem. It appears Connor is too predictable, and just stays in the same spot to the right of the net all the time. He's got to get moving like he used to, and float around the front of the goal, where he's most deadly. We're really getting nothing from Connor on the powerplay in my opinion.

Reactions: hn777

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I think the slow pass started with Laine as he liked to one time the puck back across the grain a bunch. So the play was designed to have the goalie over when the shot came as he would be going for the part of the net the goalie just vacated. It serves little purpose now as we don't have players who can make that across the grain shot with regularity.

We need quicker puck and player movement.
Your last sentence 👍!

Reactions: Ibanezrokr and GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have a hard time agreeing with this, as Morrissey's slap shot was 2nd fastest at the All Star Game, and it was clocked at 94 mph, if my memory is right. That is "plenty" fast enough, and he scored 2 goals in the previous game, from the point.

I guess you could find a harder shot, like Buffs, but not much faster. I don't think that's the Jet's problem. It appears Connor is too predictable, and just stays in the same spot to the right of the net all the time. He's got to get moving like he used to, and float around the front of the goal, where he's most deadly. We're really getting nothing from Connor on the powerplay in my opinion.
It’s not that Morrissey’s shot isn’t hard but rather he is the QB and distributes to others and is rarely in a position to be the shooter. When we had Buff he was never the QB but rather one of the shooters.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s not that Morrissey’s shot isn’t hard but rather he is the QB and distributes to others and is rarely in a position to be the shooter. When we had Buff he was never the QB but rather one of the shooters.

They could easily work a JoMo one time option off of a Scheifele pass. Heck if Mark was told to walk up to the point with the puck you could have JoMo fade from the top of the umbrella over for a shot option. It comes back to slow player and puck movement.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They could easily work a JoMo one time option off of a Scheifele pass. Heck if Mark was told to walk up to the point with the puck you could have JoMo fade from the top of the umbrella over for a shot option. It comes back to slow player and puck movement.
Agreed, but the PP seems to have few set plays. To be honest I don't think much planning goes into the PP and the players ad hoc off their own scripts. Overall I see Bones as a relationship guy that was needed and got the room onside, but X's and O's wise he is no better than Maurice.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed, but the PP seems to have few set plays. To be honest I don't think much planning goes into the PP and the players ad hoc off their own scripts. Overall I see Bones as a relationship guy that was needed and got the room onside, but X's and O's wise he is no better than Maurice.

Agreed. It's why you need to have an assistant that's great at that and leave them in charge of it. I think they have that with Arniel on the defensive side of the puck and on the PK but on offense its been pretty much let the players do what they want on the PP and at ES.

Reactions: KingBogo

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Lots of great power play talk.

For me the same thing happens a lot with our players . Throughout the season out pp gets figured out and our players don’t know how to be creative and adapt.

Everything is on the players with this slump.

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed. It's why you need to have an assistant that's great at that and leave them in charge of it. I think they have that with Arniel on the defensive side of the puck and on the PK but on offense its been pretty much let the players do what they want on the PP and at ES.
I actually thought the pp had some interesting wrinkles thrown in throughout the season, but got really stationary and stale about the time Lauer left. Could it be that the team just defaulted back to the boring set up they employed for the past few years in his absence?

Let's see if his return stokes the pp creativity and offense

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually thought the pp had some interesting wrinkles thrown in throughout the season, but got really stationary and stale about the time Lauer left. Could it be that the team just defaulted back to the boring set up they employed for the past few years in his absence?

Let's see if his return stokes the pp creativity and offense

Yeah they definitely utilized Dubois quite well in the bumper spot earlier in the year. Yeah now that Brad is back we will have to see what if anything changes on the pp.

Reactions: Jet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Jeez I don't know if I like it. Feels like Scheifele is being punished for Dubois being unable to carry his wingers. We'll see if 81-80 have any magic, because they were slumping pretty bad before being broken up. I am really interested to see what kind of support game Ehlers plays on the Scheifele line. How much contact he is willing to take, or make, to make a play, where Connor is generally engaged in board battles.

Kind of disappointed that Barron gets demoted after such a strong effort. I'm not sure what the message is...At least the 4th line the past couple of games have had shifts to get pucks in deep that have led subsequently to goals, so hopefully that trend continues...

If Stanley gets in over Samberg I'm going to be questioning what the hell these coaches are doing. Don't sleep on Minnesota's speed, they can skate...Every line of theirs is one big player, two skilled or fast players, except their checking line who are fast and agitating, with the physical aspect of Reaves.

Reactions: surixon and GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad