OT: Sharing your thoughts on the team and season.

iArts

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 3, 2010
Toronto,ON,Canada
Just wanted to share my thoughts.

I used to get really excited for every game. I used to be nervous in the last minutes of the game.
After all these years tho, I just can't anymore.

Now, I fully expect them to blow every lead we have. If we're losing with 2-3 minutes left, it's pretty much game over in my mind because I'm not expecting them to even create one solid scoring opportunity. I don't expect goalies to make game-changing saves, or any of the forwards to be game-breakers.
I'm not even that excited for our games anymore, because all I can expect is disappointment.

Am I the only one feeling this way? Have I just lost the passion?

Last edited by a moderator:

leafspring*

I used to get really excited for every game. I used to be nervous in the last minutes of the game.

Now, I fully expect them to blow every lead we have. If we're losing with 2-3 minutes left, it's pretty much game over in my mind because I'm not expecting them to even create one solid scoring opportunity. I don't expect goalies to make game-changing saves, or any of the forwards to be game-breakers.
I'm not even that excited for our games anymore, because all I can expect is disappointment.

Have yer water tested quick.:laugh:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
There are times I feel this way as well. It's getting hard to cheer for a perennial loser, but I won't stop watching and I won't stop caring about the Maple Leafs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not really surprising considering on how your favorite team has done over the last decade. I think most feel the same, more or less. It does take quite a bit of thick skin to be a Leafs fan.

We are bound to have a good team in the next couple years. When that happens, I'm sure you'll be one of the first to feel like this team can go deep.

I think you do really care deep down, as you wouldn't be on a sports forum if you didn't.

iArts

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 3, 2010
Toronto,ON,Canada
Not really surprising considering on how your favorite team has done over the last decade. I think most feel the same, more or less. It does take quite a bit of thick skin to be a Leafs fan.

We are bound to have a good team in the next couple years. When that happens, I'm sure you'll be one of the first to feel like this team can go deep.

I think you do really care deep down, as you wouldn't be on a sports forum if you didn't.

I still have a tiny bit of hope no matter what. It's just getting harder and harder to stay positive.

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe
I know it sounds weird. But do you honestly still get super excited for every game after all these years of failing again and again?

I'm excited for the draft as that is the only way we're going to turn this mess around. But then again with our scouting staff you never know. :shakehead

The games I watch and care a great deal obviously, but I have no hope for playoffs.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Nope, I basically go into each game with no expectations at all. When I saw the Rangers make it 2-1, I called the leafs coming out flat and end up losing the game without getting a point.

This teams not good enough to make the playoffs.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
As a true Leafs fan, every loss is a win.
In reality this probably would be the most fitting slogan for this season. If it's a lost season our young guys get experience,with hopefully no dumb trades and a really high draft pick it could go a long way to turning this around.

Last edited:

CG14

Aug 15, 2010
Halifax
Nope, I basically go into each game with no expectations at all. When I saw the Rangers make it 2-1, I called the leafs coming out flat and end up losing the game without getting a point.

This teams not good enough to make the playoffs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I just watch the game with zero expectations.

The only time when I have some sort of expectations are when we play teams we should be able to beat or have a close game with:

Islanders
Tampa (We've been historically very good against them)
Buffalo...close games but they usually win.
Montreal
Ottawa
etc

The rest I have no expectations at all. Just watch and enjoy the team that will likely give us our #1C in the draft this year.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I'm excited for the draft as that is the only way we're going to turn this mess around. But then again with our scouting staff you never know. :shakehead

The games I watch and care a great deal obviously, but I have no hope for playoffs.

Not even sure our scouting staff can screw this pick/draft up. The entire first round is a talented group. However, I don't think they can do the BPA thing. Our organizational need is at forward (centre). Draft a good one and do it right. Roll with the kids, and build.
We have some good pieces in place whether other fans/media give us credit or not - we do.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Not even sure our scouting staff can screw this pick/draft up.

It's not just the scouting staff that is suspect, it's the whole system of talent evaluation. Mistakes are bound to happen in an imperfect world, but the Leafs seem to make more than their share when it comes to their free agent signings, amateur signings, and trades. I was so glad Rick Dudley came on board...and disappointed he left. Why is Cliff Fletcher still collecting a paycheque after he traded for Lee Stempniak, signed Jeff Finger, and mis-handled Schenn's first year?

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
You haven't lost the passion - you've just realized the team for what it is. Our goalies suck, and we blow leads. That's who the Leafs are ATM, and have been for a while.

Back in the Sundin days, we always had a shot at the playoffs, and missed it by about a point or two between 04-06 I believe. Every game counted then, and that's what made it much more exciting to watch than what we have now.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
ive been watching every leafs game in the background as of late. Same old same old. This team is pathetic behind the reigns of Kessel and Phaneuf. We're never going to be a good team led by them.

Just going through the motions as a fan now. Continue watching, even though i hate the players, just pay less attention.

If the leafs were a prospect, we'd be a projected 3rd liner tweener. That is where this team has come, what a fall from grace from the early 2000s.

It's sad too because in the early 2000's half our lineup was garbage, part of it players on the decline, and then a few in their prime. The team had character though, an actual identity, and better leadership and motivation. Kessel and Phaneuf are the leaders of this team (Kessel by name and merit) and they are support players, might even be 3rd rate players.

I'm not sure you're even a good team if Kessel is your 2nd best player. Phaneuf your 3rd. Think we're going to need atleast 2 top tier players to get by with those 2 in the lineup

There is a large group of people who trash Quinn all the time for how he ran the team. This team fell off a cliff without Quinn. Atleast he had a plan.

Last edited:

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Every year I get more and more enraged because I know at the start of the year were icing a team not good enough for a top draft pick or the playoffs. Frustrating. Some days I feel like we have the biggest blunders on and were actually even worse off than we imagine...

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I still care, but the wins don't make me as happy as they used to, and the losses don't get me down as much as they used to.

It's been a rough few years. The Leafs are like an absentee father who keeps promising to come by and take you to the circus, but keeps having to cancel. Eventually, you begin to expect disappointment and it affects you less. You develop apathy.

(Btw, not a personal story. I had a very happy childhood.)

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies

The losing mentality from the fans; is being expressed back to the players. It's a cycle of losers.

If the fans would actually cheer for the team; maybe they would try a little harder. The ACC is dull and boring; with everyone sitting on their hands. We claim to be "the best fans" the "largest fanbase"; yet none of that has any direct positive influence on the team itself.

Every fanbase tries to kick us around; because half of this fanbase just takes it with a smile. Stand up for your team and back them up. It might make a world of difference. If you can't at least do that; maybe you truly are not a "fan" any more. You're just clinging on from habits.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
The losing mentality from the fans; is being expressed back to the players. It's a cycle of losers.

If the fans would actually cheer for the team; maybe they would try a little harder. The ACC is dull and boring; with everyone sitting on their hands. We claim to be "the best fans" the "largest fanbase"; yet none of that has any direct positive influence on the team itself.

Every fanbase tries to kick us around; because half of this fanbase just takes it with a smile. Stand up for your team and back them up. It might make a world of difference. If you can't at least do that; maybe you truly are not a "fan" any more. You're just clinging on from habits.
You're not wrong at all, but why not give us something to cheer for?

It's not like the fans sign a contract promising to perform as best as they can through good+bad times. Only the players.

leafspring*

I know it sounds weird. But do you honestly still get super excited for every game after all these years of failing again and again?

Yeah i do bro. Crosby/Malkin are in their 8th,and 7th seasons respectively.They have 1 stanley cup. There is alot of fun to be had cheering the team on. The negative spin placed on the team by media shouldn't be happening.

This team is second youngest in the league,and with plenty of prospects/assets,and cap space if we can be in half decent shape in terms of having a shot at getting a play-off spot nailed down. We sit pretty nicely with blue chip prospects in Naz,Rielly,and Gards too.

My Leafs ideally though are a defense first franchise as a identity,and should be built that way in tradition to most of our championship clubs in the past. Wilson's era was a black hole to me personally.

This Carlyle era promises better results.

There has to be realistic expectations even if your Crosby/Malkin i guess!

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
i'd rather they lose then win and that sucks

i use to get excited like you said but that pretty much ended with the Roenick goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad