Blue Jays Discussion: Shapiro presser | Tony LaCava named interim GM, Gibbons to return next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Can someone please explain how the $15.8M was arrived at? What is the basis for arriving at the QO?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Can someone please explain how the $15.8M was arrived at? What is the basis for arriving at the QO?

"The value of the qualifying offer, which is determined annually by averaging the top 125 player salaries from the previous year, will be worth $15.8MM this offseason. All qualifying offers are for the same duration (one year) and the same amount (i.e., $15.8MM for 2015-16)."

There's some really good info on QO's at MLBTR.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/explaining-the-qualifying-offer-system.html

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Perfect ... If he accepts I'd take Estrada back on that salary for only one year, given the holes in the rotation .. But he's probably more inclined to test free agency for a longer deal - so compensation pick time :nod:

It's the minimum amount required for this season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Estrada will decline because a multi-year contract awaits in free agency even if it doesn't come close to $15M per year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah. Zero chance he accepts that.

According to reddit, a qualifying offer hasn't been accepted in like 2 seasons league wide, lol.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

david price: Two agents for free-agent starting pitchers predict that price will sign with the cubs. An executive who knows price says that the cubs are his first choice. It’s all talk until the contract is signed, particularly when the dodgers, giants, cardinals and red sox all could be in the mix.

chris davis: His 159 home runs led the majors the past four seasons, and his .533 slugging percentage ranks ninth. Sure, davis also had the highest strikeout rate in the majors last season, but teams will accept the tradeoff for his rare power — and he can play the outfield and even third as well as first base. The red sox, astros, blue jays and cardinals are among the possible fits.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
After giving him the QO, can the Jays also negotiate a different longer term contract?

yes. If him and the Jays come to terms on a long term contract that Estrada prefers instead of the QO then he declines the QO and signs the deal.

He has a week to take the QO, I'd imagine the Jays will wait until his decision before offering him anything long term, because if he declines then that could decrease his offers elsewhere because of the pick compensation. Thus the Jays might get him on a better deal after he declines rather than now.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wow, the system blanked out "r€tard": to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.

I understand why, but man...killing my prose.

You might be the first person in the history of hf to use it in that context without doing so to intentionally reference the usual offensive definition.

There was a long conversation about taking it out of the filter for that reason, but it was eventually agreed that the one or two legit uses per year weren't worth the hundreds of posts where someone would use it offensively. :laugh:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You might be the first person in the history of hf to use it in that context without doing so to intentionally reference the usual offensive definition.

There was a long conversation about taking it out of the filter for that reason, but it was eventually agreed that the one or two legit uses per year weren't worth the hundreds of posts where someone would use it offensively. :laugh:

Understood. I immediately was like "oh I see why" lol.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
a couple things I still don't like with the compensation system

1) The fact that a player has to be with you the entire year before you can offer compensation

The reason that was done in part is because when AA traded for a guy after the year was over just so he could get a draft pick(turned out to be Dwight Smith JR now in NH), but that was under a different system, with type A and B free agents. Under the current system if you want the compensation, you have to offer them the QO which currently is at 15.8 million. Nobody is going to offer someone that money unless they're a good player, and you're not going to trade for a guy just so you can offer him that money because the team giving him up is giving up a pick. In the extremely rare case where team A doesn't plan on offering a QO so team B who would trades for them for peanuts once the year is over so they can offer the QO, just make a rule that they have to be acquired before the trade deadline the previous year. It's dumb that we can't QO and get a pick for Price.

This creates an imbalance with trade value. Detroit trading Price for instance knows that if they hang onto him they get a pick if he walks. So they're gonna want at least that much in return and more on top of it to do the deal. Toronto doesn't get he compensation so they don't want to offer up the compensation equivalent on top of the value. It just hampers the value on pending free agent trades because the trading team has an additional comp pick they're giving up while the acquiring team doesn't have that they're getting at the end of the year.

2) comp picks were put in so that lower budget teams can still remain competitive when their good players walk because they can't afford to keep them. However I don't really like that the team signing the player has to give up a pick. Why not just have a system where is a QO is decline and the player signs elsewhere the team losing the player gets a pick but the team signing them doesn't give up a pick? Why does the signing team have to be penalized? The lower budget team who lost their pending free agent gets compensated to even the playing field a bit, that's enough. I mean it would add 10-15 picks per year but what harm is that? It's like they felt the pick they're getting has to come from somewhere so take it from the signing team but why not just add a pick?

Shwaguy*

I know we need pitching but I really want us to throw money at Jason Heyward

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I don't see Marco, at 32, accepting it at all. His agent will be looking for term. Also, the draft pick attached will ****** his market. If you indeed do want him back, it's a great way to keep the demand lower.

As for Buehrle, I think he still wants to play. Only 36. Was very effective for ~150 innings before tiring. If he accepts, you get the same guy back for a ~$4.2MM discount for one year. If he rejects, it will be completely due to location (i.e. Closer to the kids, the dogs).

Worst case scenario, you bring back two fifths of your rotation for a net increase of ~$7.7MM. Both on 1 year deals, both pitching for their careers effectively.

If you believe Stroman Buehrle is probably done.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Give Buehrle the QO so when he signs the 1 day contract to retire as a White Sox they have to give us a pick :sarcasm:

Even if that happened they'd wait until after the draft to do that so they wouldn't have to give us a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad