Blue Jays Discussion: Shapiro presser | Tony LaCava named interim GM, Gibbons to return next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwaguy*

May I ask why?

Another good Bat never hurts. Elite Defence in LF. And you don't really experience Diminishing Returns from adding to a strength in baseball like you do other sports.

There is a school of thought that believes adding an elite bat to a great hitting team has a bigger impact than adding an elite arm to a great hitting team.

Also Heyward is only 26 and would be a good long term investment and a Heyward/Travis/Donaldson/Tulo/One of Bautista or Edwin DHing/Martin hitting core would keep us as a high level team (As long as we continue to build the rest of our well) as Bautista/Edwin/Martin age would be very effective and I believe in our organization's ability to draft/find young pitching talent better than to find hitting talent.

Admittedly it'd be dependant on our ability to have Osuna/Sanchez convert into Rotation Pitchers.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
because of 'dat 6.0 fWAR. :naughty:

Indeed, and the age. And people are right to be attracted to those things.

But when Prop Joe sees that over half of his perceived value is derived from his defense, and that said defense is provided at the second least important defensive position on a baseball field...

And then sees a .339 wOBA and 117 wRC+ over the last three years....

And then sees ~$23MM aav....

Why don't I just trade for Josh Reddick instead, and use that $16MM elsewhere.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Another good Bat never hurts. Elite Defence in LF. And you don't really experience Diminishing Returns from adding to a strength in baseball like you do other sports.

There is a school of thought that believes adding an elite bat to a great hitting team has a bigger impact than adding an elite arm to a great hitting team.

Also Heyward is only 26 and would be a good long term investment and a Heyward/Travis/Donaldson/Tulo/One of Bautista or Edwin DHing/Martin hitting core would keep us as a high level team (As long as we continue to build the rest of our well) as Bautista/Edwin/Martin age would be very effective and I believe in our organization's ability to draft/find young pitching talent better than to find hitting talent.

Admittedly it'd be dependant on our ability to have Osuna/Sanchez convert into Rotation Pitchers.
Maybe this is why I'm not a GM/Manager, but I don't want to give up any of our bats (and yes, I know you can't get anything without giving up anything). Even with a SP lineup that needs work, I like having and watching an offensive powerhouse.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Indeed, and the age. And people are right to be attracted to those things.

But when Prop Joe sees that over half of his perceived value is derived from his defense, and that said defense is provided at the second least important defensive position on a baseball field...

And then sees a .339 wOBA and 117 wRC+ over the last three years....

And then sees ~$23MM aav....

Why don't I just trade for Josh Reddick instead, and use that $16MM elsewhere.

To be fair, Heyward is probably a CF. He's just been blocked by "true CFs" like Bourn and BJ Upton.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The fact they aren't even going to make an effort pisses me off. Oh well now we can go pay some bum that's half as good 15 million a year just to field a below average rotation.

If you're too cheap to even make an offer to Price you might as well start selling our older players. I backed the Price trade thinking this is a sign the organization was committed to winning but losing Price along with the mlb ready pitching prospects we gave up is terrible. At least make a damn effort but no lets go back to a middling team in the AL East.

You can't go into the season with a bunch of 4's or 5's behind Stroman and expect to win the AL East even with this offense.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The fact they aren't even going to make an effort pisses me off. Oh well now we can go pay some bum that's half as good 15 million a year just to field a below average rotation.

If you're too cheap to even make an offer to Price you might as well start selling our older players. I backed the Price trade thinking this is a sign the organization was committed to winning but losing Price along with the mlb ready pitching prospects we gave up is terrible. At least make a damn effort but no lets go back to a middling team in the AL East.

You can't go into the season with a bunch of 4's or 5's behind Stroman and expect to win the AL East even with this offense.

Well if he's half as good getting paid half as much, then that sort of makes sense. And half of ~6 fWAR is still 3 fWAR, which is hardly a bum.

Who exactly do you think is a #4-#5 that will command 15MM AAV though?

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Not too surprising. Good early move though.

Keith Law says Estrada is worth no more than million, said his stats are a one year shot and he will return to his league leading HR distribution. In his top 50 FA list for this year on ESPN.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
they're not going to make an effort because Bob McCown said so? Forgive me if I don't care what McCown says. He's guessing based on what he thinks Shapiro's plans would be.

Shapiro isn't exactly known for going out and signing pitchers to 30 million dollar contracts so it's a well based guess but who knows what's going to happen.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think a formal offer should be made to Price. 6 years at 30M per. Yes/No?

If it's no, you know you made a proper offer.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Bob McCown says Blue Jays won't make offer to Price....at 4:00...right before his show starts...a show that will require callers to phone in on a slow sports afternoon...

And people believe him.....

What a time to be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad