Speculation: Shaping the core 18 to 23

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That second line has proven nothing
The first line is good , and could be dominant if slaf goes up
Dach and Farrell on the second line next April is not a good line
I’ll bet you anything you want , Farrell will not be handed 2nd line duties Right away
No chance
Let's see if Farrell even makes the team next year, let alone securing a position on the second line.

Reactions: larrymoeschemp

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’m just wondering who in the East will be worst then us?

Especially if we leave Slaf in Laval, we added Dach who’s trying to find his game (I believe he will)…..and that’s it!!

Caufield and Suzuki should amass higher point totals but gone are Toffoli’s and Lehkonen’s production.

Matheson will bring more offense then Romy

Price will more then likely be on LTIR

I’m expecting Armia and Dvorak to find their game, good trade bait candidates.

Gone is Petry

I see us finishing bottom 5 again, probably end up with one of Yager, Benson or Carlsson.
We might, and it would be great...............I just think we pick top 10 which will still be a good pick.
One more tough season and that should be enough, and then we should start to emerge as a good team going forward.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Especially if we leave Slaf in Laval, we added Dach who’s trying to find his game (I believe he will)…..and that’s it!!

Caufield and Suzuki should amass higher point totals but gone are Toffoli’s and Lehkonen’s production.

Gone is Petry

I see us finishing bottom 5 again, probably end up with one of Yager, Benson or Carlsson.

I previously said a 8-12 range pick. I've moved that to 5-10 range pick lately. I think there will rebound but not sure how much. Doubt we start the season 6-21-3 from Oct-Jan this year (0.265 winning %). It was 0.432 with MSL from Feb 10th to end of season which included good and bad stretches and moves after the deadline but still many injuries. I think we are going to finish around 0.4 winning % so that's where I'm getting the bottom 5-10 finish.

1) Suzuki and Caufield should both be in the 60-80 pts range IMO. So a little more offense generated there.

2) Petry, Toffoli, Lehkonen, Romanov out. Matheson, Dach, Dadonov, and possibly Slaf in. Hard to guess on what the impacts are. Petry was horrible in the 1st half.

3) Drouin, Byron, Hoffman, Gallagher, Dvorak, Armia will have better seasons IMO (one of them probably is not with us to start the year though.. cap issues). I'm willing to bet we won't have as many injures derailing things and no Ducharme factor to start the year. MSL with a open play book and less pressure/expectations will change things.

4) What do Harris, Barron, and Guhle do. I think they get better as the season moves along.

5) Price, Allen, Monty. How do they manage the 3 goalies. Price plays more than 5 games this year IMO.

6) Do Anderson and Evans take steps forward. Very possible.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I previously said a 8-12 range pick. I've moved that to 5-10 range pick lately. I think there will rebound but not sure how much. Doubt we start the season 6-21-3 from Oct-Jan this year (0.265 winning %). It was 0.432 with MSL from Feb 10th to end of season which included good and bad stretches and moves after the deadline but still many injuries. I think we are going to finish around 0.4 winning % so that's where I'm getting the bottom 5-10 finish.

1) Suzuki and Caufield should both be in the 60-80 pts range IMO. So a little more offense generated there.

2) Petry, Toffoli, Lehkonen, Romanov out. Matheson, Dach, Dadonov, and possibly Slaf in. Hard to guess on what the impacts are. Petry was horrible in the 1st half.

3) Drouin, Byron, Hoffman, Gallagher, Dvorak, Armia will have better seasons IMO (one of them probably is not with us to start the year though.. cap issues). I'm willing to bet we won't have as many injures derailing things and no Ducharme factor to start the year. MSL with a open play book and less pressure/expectations will change things.

4) What do Harris, Barron, and Guhle do. I think they get better as the season moves along.

5) Price, Allen, Monty. How do they manage the 3 goalies. Price plays more than 5 games this year IMO.

6) Do Anderson and Evans take steps forward. Very possible.
pretty sure Guhle will spend the year in Laval but will be the first call up if theres injuries

Edmundson - Savard
Matheson - Barron
Harris - Wideman
Schuenemen

gonna be a longgggg year :laugh: atleast the 2023 draft is stacked with elite centers

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
pretty sure Guhle will spend the year in Laval but will be the first call up if theres injuries

Edmundson - Savard
Matheson - Barron
Harris - Wideman
Schuenemen

I'm not too sure about that one. Guhle is strong in the D zone and stands to have a strong chance to earn a spot like Romanov did.

I think Wideman and Shu are depth. Eddy has lots of RD experience prior to his Habs days. Matheson is basically a younger Petry and I think they fit well together.

Harris is more mature than he gets credit for. The physical and experience Savard is a good fit for him.

I think they will try the Guhle and Barron WJC pairing. I also think there is a chance Shu starts in the AHL and the Habs have 3 goalies with a 22 man roster (not 23) to start the season. Depends if we make another trade or not.

I dislike the Harris and Wideman pairing a lot.

Matheson / Eddy
Harris / Savard
Guhle / Barron

Wideman, Shu

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I'm not too sure about that one. Guhle is strong in the D zone and stands to have a strong chance to earn a spot like Romanov did.

I think Wideman and Shu are depth. Eddy has lots of RD experience prior to his Habs days. Matheson is basically a younger Petry and I think they fit well together.

Harris is more mature than he gets credit for. The physical and experience Savard is a good fit for him.

I think they will try the Guhle and Barron WJC pairing. I also think there is a chance Shu starts in the AHL and the Habs have 3 goalies with a 22 man roster (not 23) to start the season. Depends if we make another trade or not.

I dislike the Harris and Wideman pairing a lot.

Matheson / Eddy
Harris / Savard
Guhle / Barron

Wideman, Shu
theres absolutely no reason to rush him to the nhl it always takes longer for dmen let him improve hes game playing top minutes with PP and PK in laval

i like those lines if Edmundson doesnt mind playing RD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
theres absolutely no reason to rush him to the nhl it always takes longer for dmen let him improve hes game playing top minutes with PP and PK in laval

It's not rushing him. I hate that narrative. You don't know if you are rushing him or not yet and that applies to Slaf as well. This is why we have training camp, preseason, and maybe some NHL games to start. You'll find out a lot of information. Prior to Suzuki starting in the NHL, I thought he would play AHL as well. Did we "rush him" or did he simply just earn a spot by showing maturity early on? Think about it.

I get it. You prefer AHL. Totally understand that but you don't manage that way and block them from even trying to earn a spot. That's horrible management before you even get to see him play. Possible he starts in the AHL or NHL. It will depend on his defensive game and stability and Guhle is stronger in the D zone than he is a offensive type. It's similar to Romanov. D men who are stronger in the D zone stand to have a better shot at making the NHL.

For all we know, Guhle steals a job from Harris and Harris starts in the AHL. I don't think so but all options are on the table.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
It's not rushing him. I hate that narrative. You don't know if you are rushing him or not yet and that applies to Slaf as well. This is why we have training camp, preseason, and maybe some NHL games to start. You'll find out a lot of information. Prior to Suzuki starting in the NHL, I thought he would play AHL as well. Did we "rush him" or did he simply just earn a spot by showing maturity early on? Think about it.

I get it. You prefer AHL. Totally understand that but you don't manage that way and block them from even trying to earn a spot. That's horrible management before you even get to see him play. Possible he starts in the AHL or NHL. It will depend on his defensive game and stability and Guhle is stronger in the D zone than he is a offensive type. It's similar to Romanov. D men who are stronger in the D zone stand to have a better shot at making the NHL.

For all we know, Guhle steals a job from Harris and Harris starts in the AHL. I don't think so but all options are on the table.
i dont want Slaf with the Habs neither but i think he will be but im sure Guhle will start the season in Laval quote me if you want but we already have our 6 def's so let our #1 def prospect go play bigger minutes with the Rocket + in laval he will be able to play PP and PK so its gonna be much better for hes development instead of playing 3rd line minutes with no PP or PK here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looking at how things might track in 2/3 years from now but does not include any of our future picks to come in those years. Ideally, I would target D men in future drafts. Still draft BPA but when there is a waive of talent, take the Defenseman like he Devils took a shot at Nemec.

The other angle to this is Anderson is the oldest guy and is 30/31 in 2/3 years. Next is Dubois at age 26/27. You would imagine we would have a few guys in the 30-35 age mix right? Very curious to see how that plays out.

Imagine if this is our forward group in a few seasons... 3 very good lines and take your pick on which one is better than the other. Not sure how we unload Gallagher but lets stay that plays out. Ideally, I'm using Panthers pick and Kidney with contracts like Dvorak and Armia to get Dubois.
Slaf / Suzuki / Caufield
Roy / Dubois / Mesar
Farrell / Dach / Anderson
Heineman / Evans / Ylonen

Depth: Mysak, Beck, Rohrer, Simoneau, Tuch, etc

Building the D to be better might be the challenge moving forward. Take Eddy and Savard out in 2/3 years time and I have a hard time assembling the potential group.
Guhle / Barron
Harris / Mailloux
Hutson / Xhekaj?

Depth: Norlinder, Fairbrother, Struble, Engstrom

Goalies have some potential. We will see.

Primeau
Monty
Dobes
Dichow

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i dont want Slaf with the Habs neither but i think he will be but im sure Guhle will start the season in Laval quote me if you want but we already have our 6 def's so let our #1 def prospect go play bigger minutes with the Rocket + in laval he will be able to play PP and PK so its gonna be much better for hes development instead of playing 3rd line minutes with no PP or PK here

Personally, I'm not sure about either of Guhle or Slaf. I think training camp, preseason, and some NHL games will reveal their path.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Yes, and those core haven't even won anything yet despite their offensive superstars.

Hopefully Habs can draft Norris caliber defenseman and Vezina caliber goaltending in the next few drafts, on top of the usual suspect developing into PPG players.
Ridiculous comments

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I like where you have the prospects; however if this becomes a winning lineup I feel it means the stars really aligned and everyone exeeded expectations. Which is unlikely, but you slotted everyone where it makes sense for me with my limited knowledge.

Realistically for this to be a future top 10 nhl team, even at full maturity I feel it’s missing 2 big time star players top 6 and top 2 D.
That's why the hope is a top-5 pick in 2023 that helps us land one of Fantilli or Dvorsky as an eventual 2nd line C. Dach in a more 3rd line role with a more offensive mission makes the C-line much deeper.

It's also why adding a power forward like Dubois (to play left wing in the top-6) helps reshape the forward group.

A top-6 of:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Dubois - Fantilli/Dvorsky - Mesar

just got a whole lot better.

Farrell - Dach - Roy, pushing both Farrell and Roy into an offensive-,ended third line with Dach just increased the Habs' firepower.

Basically, adding two missing pieces up front pushes down prospects into mid-6 roles rather than top-6 roles and adds talented depth to a lineup.

Heineman - Beck - Ylonen becomes a fourth line with extreme speed on the wings quality NHL shots from either side, some physicality in Heinemann and two-way acumen from Beck in a 4th-line pivot role.

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Dubois - Fabntilli/Dvorsky - Mesar
Farrell - Dach - Roy
Heineman - beck - Ylonen

OR

Dubois - Suzuki - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Fantilli/Dvorsky - Mesar
Farrell - Dach - Roy
Heineman - beck - Ylonen

On D, we'd still be missing a #1RHD.

It could land:

Guhle - #1RHD
Hutson/Harris - Barron
Harris/Xhekaj - Mailloux
Xhekaj, Harris

OR

Hutson - #1RHD
Guhle - Barron
Xhekaj/Harris - Mailloux
Harris, Xhekaj

Reactions: Naslundforever

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Gone is Petry

Hope we move up in the lottery, then, to snatch up one of Fantilli or Dvorsky.

First step in the rebuild of the younger core, along with Slafkovsky, Suzuki, Caufield and Dach (now a 3rd-line C). Signing Dubois (trade or UFA) would really prop up the top-6.

Then, it's talented players like Farrell and Roy who need to make a case for themselves on a more offensive 3rd line with Dach.

Can't count out other talents like Beck as a 4th line C, or KIdney, plus Heinemann who has wheels, plays physical hockey and owns a legitimate NHL wrist shot. Ylonen continues to improve and is hell on wheels, with an NHL shot and two-way ability for a 4th line role.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Edmundson - Savard
Matheson - Barron
Harris - Wideman
Schuenemen

gonna be a longgggg year :laugh: atleast the 2023 draft is stacked with elite centers
Sure, if that's the D you ice with what is available.

There's the Habs being bad and doing your best to make them worse. I honestly don't think this will be the D-Corps iced in terns of pairings.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016

Edmundson - Savard
Matheson - Barron
Harris - Wideman
Schuenemen

I think these D pairs are what we see to open the season as well. Only think I'd do is flip Edmundson and Matheson. Would much rather see Eddy play with Barron to insulate him.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Ridiculous comments
I think anyone proposing that we should hope to draft #1'Ds and Gs isn't making a ridiculous statement...

TB has Vasi and Hedman, Col has Makar. We don't know who can fill spots like these yet in our rebuild. I'm sure you agree.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Talk a little about the rebuild and getting high picks and the way he see the Habs move on.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Looking at the lack of integration of young players into the lineup, it is possible that '24 could be a better pick than '23. Icing a team of NHL rookies could be a recipe for disaster.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Looking at the lack of integration of young players into the lineup, it is possible that '24 could be a better pick than '23. Icing a team of NHL rookies could be a recipe for disaster.
Dadanov, Drouin, Byron, Allen will be traded at or before the deadline. New personnel will be integrated

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Dont matter how they pair them that def is horrible....
That D-Corps needs an upgrade on RD. Savard cannot play on the 1st pairing and, ideally, should not be playing on the 2nd pairing either.

A Shattenkirk, a Barrie, for example, would help everyone slide down into a better chair on the D-Corps. Neither is a home run addition, but they are also temporary, stop-gap acquisitions. In both cases (3.9M for Shattenkirk/1 year and 4.5M for barrie/2 years), salary would need to be heading out to make the deal work.

Armia for Shattenkirk? Hoffman for Barrie? maybe that becomes Dadonov for Barrie instead? Or Dadonov for Shattenkirk?

Matheson - Shattenkirk
Edmundson - Barron
Harris - Savard

OR

Edmundson - Barrie
Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron

Something will need to be done to prop up that D, for sure, but any suggestion where one slots Savard on the first pairing is disingenuous when trying to realistically evaluate the D-Corps as a whole.

An overmatched first pairing has a huge effect on the overall production from the D-Corps. Savard can't keep up on a first pairing, period. Unfortunately, even on a 2nd pairing, its's iffy, even if I slotted him there in the advent that we must play Edmundson wth a Barrie addition on D..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad