Shannon Szabados Signs With SPHL Columbus

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Get the feeling that it's more of a publicity stunt than anything, but would definitely be cool if it goes well for her.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
[mod] I guess they need to fill seats some how.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm interested to see how well she does and am cheering for her. I haven't seen a SPHL game but it should be a good challenge and gauge how far women's hockey has come.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I'm interested to see how well she does and am cheering for her. I haven't seen a SPHL game but it should be a good challenge and gauge how far women's hockey has come.

I'm Canadian. I'm proud of Szabados and her performance in Sochi.

Not for nothing, but our gold-medal winning women's hockey team went 3-11-4 against 16 year old male AAA players from Alberta.

SPHL teams would defeat those very same AAA teams 1000 times out of 1000.

That said, I'm all for her making money and hope she does well.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Although the publicity is certainly a huge bonus, her signing wasn't just a publicity stunt. Goalie is the one position where women can compare reasonably well to men, and Szabados is a legitimate player at the SPHL level.

SPHL rosters are mainly filled with former Junior A and small college players. She was a two-time Junior A all-star in the AJHL (and won the league's goaltender of the year award once), and was the starting goalie for the Alberta college league's men's championship team.

Her track record playing against men in juniors and college is on par with the starting goalies in the SPHL. A male Szabados would have gotten signed by SPHL Columbus anyway, based on past performance and teammate recommendations (several of her college teammates play for Columbus.)

Spud387

Apr 8, 2013
Well it looks like we are gonna find out for real tomorrow
https://twitter.com/Cottonmouths/status/444524221105201152
Szabados to make professional debut this Saturday. http://*******/1iKms85 @NHL @Buccigross @TSNBobMcKenzie @RonMacLeanCBC @TSN_Sports @CBC

To the doubters, is a female hockey players really going to go from nothing to the NHL? No, they will have to start by showing their thing in the lower pro leagues. This is big for her & female hockey.

Mod: Filtered url is a redirect to "Szabados to Make Professional Debut Saturday"

Last edited by a moderator:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Definite best of luck to her. I have doubts, but believe me this is an issue I'd love to be proved wrong on and forced to eat crow.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I was at the game, she let four in, but two she really had no chance on. All in all she didn't look out of place.

Also the backup goalie did the wobble during intermission so yeah...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad