Shannon Szabados named SPHL Player of the Week

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Goaltender Shannon Szabados, a two-time Olympic gold-medallist with Canada's women's hockey team, has been named the Southern Professional Hockey League's player of the week.

Szabados went 2-0-0 with a 1.49 goals-against average and a .963 save percentage last week, helping the Columbus Cottonmouths increase their winning streak to six games.

Story here

Good for her, I wonder if there's an opportunity to move up to the ECHL?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Very impressive, and honestly no clue. If she puts up numbers like that for a while, definitely might be one or two teams interested if they have an open goaltender position not taken by a parent club low-tier prospect.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Yep, I figured that she'd be a pretty decent goalie in the SPHL.

The ECHL is a fairly big step up though. It looks like PPG players in the SPHL might end up being 0.5 PPG players in the ECHL.

That being said, I think she's good enough to fill in for a few ECHL games if goalies get called up to the AHL or get injured. The other goalie on her SPHL team got a few ECHL games in last year.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
There's just something not right about a female playing pro in a mans league. Of course she plays goalie so its not like they can hit her or anything I guess really.

Hockey goalie is one of the few areas I can see a female player being successful as a pro in a mens' league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad