Shane Wright sent down to the AHL…

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Who’s taking panwar?

The team that trades their own OA. There will be teams looking to net a couple picks but still remain competitive. Other teams that trade they OA’s to other teams to net picks may want to trade a 3rd and 5th for a kid like Panwar.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Because they are short on draft picks and it is a way to marginally get better without significantly expending picks to do it. Trade Panwar for picks and then use those picks plus another pick or two and you upgrade to a better player.
Panwar is a good versatile fit for the Petes LW or C on 2nd or 3rd line & PK imo

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Panwar is a good versatile fit for the Petes LW or C on 2nd or 3rd line & PK imo

Looking for realistic ways to improve For the Petes. Short on picks and not a lot of depth youth that seems to have value enough to make it work For anything elite other than OA without trading Van Volsen.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Looking for realistic ways to improve For the Petes. Short on picks and not a lot of depth youth that seems to have value enough to make it work For anything elite other than OA without trading Van Volsen.
I’m not convinced the Petes entertain trading VanVolsen. Unless Wright is returned and chooses the Petes, I think the Petes will target RD such as; Keane, Roger, White, Maiilioux, and maybe Schmidt if available. The Petes have ‘04 born that Kingston, Guelph, Niagara, London could want more than picks.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Some would say they already have
Others would say the Petes are fortunate to be in a position to use a versatile OA for effective utility at C or LW, and very late 5th-‘23, 6th-‘24, 4th-‘25 for Panwar is cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: User13452

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I’m not convinced the Petes entertain trading VanVolsen. Unless Wright is returned and chooses the Petes, I think the Petes will target RD such as; Keane, Roger, White, Maiilioux, and maybe Schmidt if available. The Petes have ‘04 born that Kingston, Guelph, Niagara, London could want more than picks.
Who is the 04?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Who is the 04?
Dezoete, McCoy, Meelee, Smith.
They are probably value comparables for Rolofs, Sirrizotti, Michaud that were worth a 2nd or 3rd + at mid-season last year, but hold more value for teams that want players for a competitive team in 2023-24.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Dezoete, McCoy, Meelee, Smith.
They are probably value comparables for Rolofs, Sirrizotti, Michaud that were worth a 2nd or 3rd + at mid-season last year, but hold more value for teams that want players for a competitive team in 2023-24.
None of those guys are locks to be an OA in the OHL outside of McCoy. Which would mean the team would only be getting 1.5 years from them potentially with the first 0.5 year coming in a rebuild

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
None of those guys are locks to be an OA in the OHL outside of McCoy. Which would mean the team would only be getting 1.5 years from them potentially with the first 0.5 year coming in a rebuild
I did say teams that would want players for a competitive team in 2023-24. That’s not necessarily all-in mindset going into the season, but expecting top 5 in conference or better and prepared to be all-in.
I think Guelph, Kingston, London are those teams and Niagara, Soo, & Sudbury want to believe they are those teams.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I did say teams that would want players for a competitive team in 2023-24. That’s not necessarily all-in mindset going into the season, but expecting top 5 in conference or better and prepared to be all-in.
I think Guelph, Kingston, London are those teams and Niagara, Soo, & Sudbury want to believe they are those teams.

I can get behind this logic for sure. I know typically rebuilding teams want the 16 year old but if they are specifically pushing assets forward one season, I can see more value in trading for a 17 or 18 year old. In this case it would be Kingston making a hard push to host the Memorial Cup. If they can demonstrate returning players contributing to a competitive team, it helps their bid.

The challenge is in not doing that for every trade. You never know what fits and what doesn’t so there is still a sizeable pick quotient in the mix. Peterborough isn’t blessed with the picks portion so it may still be slightly difficult for them in some respects.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
"Spirit"? This isn't house league
I think you don’t know what spirit means in this context….. I’m referring to the reason the rule is put in place. To protect teenagers from being pushed too early, and to allow the chl to retain its high end players to not hurt their product.

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think you don’t know what spirit means in this context….. I’m referring to the reason the rule is put in place. To protect teenagers from being pushed too early, and to allow the chl to retain its high end players to not hurt their product.

I think a set of criteria can be devised that addresses both. The current rule is not working for a small handful of CHL players every year. I think certain criteria to be eligible for early entry to the AHL could be:

1> Being either 19 or have served three seasons in the CHL
2> Being a top 10 NHL draft pick
3> An NHL team can only designate one “exceptional status” player at a time to be sent to the AHL.
4> If a player is granted “Exceptional Status” by their NHL club and is sent to the AHL, it counts as a contract year.

I think if those four criteria are met, it keeps the pool of players eligible small enough to not be overly used and with the contract year being a part of it, it ensures players aren’t sent there out of convenience.

To me, a player like Shane Wright or Byfield are the perfect examples of players that would benefit from playing in the AHL for a year prior to graduation to the NHL. Sending them to Junior may be good for the team that gets them back but it isn’t meaningful enough for the league to get one player back and it isn’t meaningful for the player development. When Imports can play AHL and CHL players can’t, there needs to be a path to having players play AHL under strict circumstance to ensure it isn’t abused.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I think a set of criteria can be devised that addresses both. The current rule is not working for a small handful of CHL players every year. I think certain criteria to be eligible for early entry to the AHL could be:

3> An NHL team can only designate one “exceptional status” player at a time to be sent to the AHL.
4> If a player is granted “Exceptional Status” by their NHL club and is sent to the AHL, it counts as a contract year.

I think if those four criteria are met, it keeps the pool of players eligible small enough to not be overly used and with the contract year being a part of it, it ensures players aren’t sent there out of convenience.

To me, a player like Shane Wright or Byfield are the perfect examples of players that would benefit from playing in the AHL for a year prior to graduation to the NHL. Sending them to Junior may be good for the team that gets them back but it isn’t meaningful enough for the league to get one player back and it isn’t meaningful for the player development. When Imports can play AHL and CHL players can’t, there needs to be a path to having players play AHL under strict circumstance to ensure it isn’t abused.
I don’t think Wright would meet criteria number 1 as he only has two years of OHL experience, with a golf season in between.

But, I do like the idea in general.

Reactions: OSA

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016

I agree with you, the ahl is a good place for most of those guys to be, 100% Wright would benefit from being there, much more so than sitting in the press box. It’s tough to balance that and what’s good for the CHL. All of those guys that played in the ahl during the covid shutdown seemed to benefit and excel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad