Shane Wright sent down to the AHL…

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Shane Wright has been sent down to the AHL on a 14 day conditioning stint. The league has a rule whereby a player being scratched for five straight games can be sent tot he AHL for conditioning for a maximum 14 days.

I assume the idea is he is sent to the AHL to get some game action in and then will be released to play for Team Canada at the WJHC.

I guess the question is what does Seattle do after the WJHC? Do they call him back up to the NHL club or do they release his rights to Kingston where he will be immediately traded?

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Shane Wright has been sent down to the AHL on a 14 day conditioning stint. The league has a rule whereby a player being scratched for five straight games can be sent tot he AHL for conditioning for a maximum 14 days.

I assume the idea is he is sent to the AHL to get some game action in and then will be released to play for Team Canada at the WJHC.

I guess the question is what does Seattle do after the WJHC? Do they call him back up to the NHL club or do they release his rights to Kingston where he will be immediately traded?
It's 14 days or 5 games, whichever comes first. And you can only do this once

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I think he goes back to the OHL like I've said all along. Whether or not it's Kingston is TBD.

Seattle doesn't need him right now. They are clearly finding success without.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
The 14 days takes him to December 4th - the Kraken play the Habs on the 6th, and apparently Wright really wants to play against them as a "revenge" game - then at that point the WJC camps will start to open so he may get another game or two, but he'll be with the Kraken until he WJC camps. After the WJC he'll be sent back to the OHL and traded (from the sounds of it it's anywhere but Kingston).

That's for the most part what Jeff Marek reported and makes sense if they're trying to get him ice-time while avoiding Kingston.

The other thing Marek mentioned was that the AHL stint would've happened a couple weeks ago but injuries forced the Kraken into playing Wright in what would've been his 5th game off.

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
I don’t understand why the chl allows this as part of the agreement with the nhl. Having a guy being forced to sit for 2 weeks to spend 2 weeks in the ahl is worse then just letting them send the kid down for a 2 week stint at the teams discretion. The 10 game rule should be amended to be 10 games played by the nhl club, whether the kid is a healthy scratch or not. Having the kid sit for long periods is totally counter productive to the reason the rule is there in the first place.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t understand why the chl allows this as part of the agreement with the nhl. Having a guy being forced to sit for 2 weeks to spend 2 weeks in the ahl is worse then just letting them send the kid down for a 2 week stint at the teams discretion. The 10 game rule should be amended to be 10 games played by the nhl club, whether the kid is a healthy scratch or not. Having the kid sit for long periods is totally counter productive to the reason the rule is there in the first place.

It depends on perspective. Part of development is actually playing games but there is a big part of development that takes place off ice. I don’t know what is true and what is not but he seems to have a significant beef with Kingston for some reason. Does he need to mature a bit? I don’t know. But, he can work on off-ice training with NHL players and get bigger and stronger. he can adjust to the NHL lifestyle and everything that comes with it. He practises at a much higher pace than he would at the OHL level.

I’m not certain Wright would be better served in the OHL. I think there needs to be some sort of rule that allows the NHL teams to have an “exceptional status” type player they are able to send to the AHL. That standard would need to be something like the player having played a minimum of 3 seasons of Major Junior, be picked in the top 10 of the NHL draft and the team can only name one player every three seasons max. This would narrow down the field of players eligible to the point that it shouldn’t affect the CHL teams and is best for the player themselves.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I’d be pretty shocked if they brought him back to Seattle after the WJC.

Down the stretch fighting for a playoff spot he would be lucky to play a game or two a month. Plus the AHL loophole would have been already used up. Why continue to ruin the kid when they don’t need him? Not to mention burning a year on his ELC.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
You make it sound like the CHL has any say. What are they going to do? Say no to the NHL? 18/19 year olds are adults. In the vast majority of working environments there is nothing preventing a person from working where they want. The CHL is lucky for what they get

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
What teams make sense for him? Mississauga, Hamilton or Ottawa?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What teams make sense for him? Mississauga, Hamilton or Ottawa?

It has to be a team that is willing to part with their 2022 1st.

The pool of teams would be:
East - Ottawa, Peterborough, North Bay and Mississauga.
West - Owen Sound, Windsor, Sarnia and Flint

Where will Wright want to go if he had a choice AND which teams are willing to trade their 2022 1st to get him?

I don’t see either of Peterborough or Ottawa being involved. They both have vacant OA slots and will go down that road more cheaply before entering the Wright discussion. North Bay is light on picks so I doubt they would do it. I’m not sure if they have enough with their 1st rounder to go there. That leaves Missy in the east.

West? Meh. No clue. I have no read on the West. Saginaw is in 1st right now and I don’t have them buying because I see them unloading to build around Misa. Is Owen Sound ever a team to make a move like that? Doubtful. That probably leaves Windsor, Flint and Sarnia. Would Sarnia trade Martone? Would Windsor trade Cristoforo?

That sort of leaves Flint and Mississauga? Not ideal locations.

I have no idea how this is all going to play out. I do think Ottawa has the best chance of getting him if they want him. They can keep Mews and trade Marrelli (late comp 1st for Moldenhauer). I just don’t see them going down that road when they can go get a player like Morrison who is probably just slightly behind Wright and won the Championship last year for less than half the price.

If Barrie gets Clarke back, maybe they would part with Beaudoin. In that case, I’d have Barrie #1 but that still means Clarke would return.

Reactions: Bra Wavers and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

The pool of teams would be:
East - Ottawa, Peterborough, North Bay and Mississauga.
West - Owen Sound, Windsor, Sarnia and Flint

Where will Wright want to go if he had a choice AND which teams are willing to trade their 2022 1st to get him?

I don’t see either of Peterborough or Ottawa being involved. They both have vacant OA slots and will go down that road more cheaply before entering the Wright discussion. North Bay is light on picks so I doubt they would do it. I’m not sure if they have enough with their 1st rounder to go there. That leaves Missy in the east.

West? Meh. No clue. I have no read on the West. Saginaw is in 1st right now and I don’t have them buying because I see them unloading to build around Misa. Is Owen Sound ever a team to make a move like that? Doubtful. That probably leaves Windsor, Flint and Sarnia. Would Sarnia trade Martone? Would Windsor trade Cristoforo?

That sort of leaves Flint and Mississauga? Not ideal locations.

I have no idea how this is all going to play out. I do think Ottawa has the best chance of getting him if they want him. They can keep Mews and trade Marrelli (late comp 1st for Moldenhauer). I just don’t see them going down that road when they can go get a player like Morrison who is probably just slightly behind Wright and won the Championship last year for less than half the price.

If Barrie gets Clarke back, maybe they would part with Beaudoin. In that case, I’d have Barrie #1 but that still means Clarke would return.
Morrison might be a better add tbh

Reactions: 190 is almost 206

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Morrison might be a better add tbh

I think if you look at experience and the fact he won a Championship last year, that would be my opinion as well.

I don’t know what to believe but it is starting to sound more and more like Wright brings a lot of baggage with him and that is coupled by his zero desire to come back to the OHL. Do you want to trade a boat load of assets for a player that truly doesn’t want to be there?

I really don’t know what kind of market there will be for him. I know if I were a GM, I’d be on the phone doing a full interview before I made any sort of trade.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Wright and his camp will have a big say in where he is dealt let’s be honest. Peterborough makes sense as they could deal Van volsen and some picks and then have some sort of side deal worked out for next year.

Reactions: dirty12

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016

I agree. The Petes likely won't be interested in Wright at the price he will cost.

Any chance that, when Wright and Othmann (former Don Mills linemates) meet up at WJC team Canada camp in a couple of weeks, Othmann puts a bug in Wright's ear saying "things are great in Peterborough - tell Kingston that is the only team you will accept a trade to"?

That would reduce the cost.
Imagine the Merkley trade to London when he would only go there.

Merkley went for:
  • 3rd round selection in 2022 OHL Priority Selection (Niagara)
  • Conditional 2nd or 3rd round selection in 2024 OHL Priority Selection
Wouldn't be that cheap but Kingston wouldn't have much wiggle room if Wright narrows down his possible destinations.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Wright and his camp will have a big say in where he is dealt let’s be honest. Peterborough makes sense as they could deal Van volsen and some picks and then have some sort of side deal worked out for next year.

Personally, I think Peterborough is way better off upgrading on Panwar at OA and fill the other spot. They likely wouldn’t need to deal Van Volsen.

If they went for Wright, I think it would be:
Van Volsen
three 2nds
three 3rds
4th
5th

I think Peterborough could get their two OA’s jsut using those picks and one fo the OA’s could be elite.

I agree. The Petes likely won't be interested in Wright at the price he will cost.

Any chance that, when Wright and Othmann (former Don Mills linemates) meet up at WJC team Canada camp in a couple of weeks, Othmann puts a bug in Wright's ear saying "things are great in Peterborough - tell Kingston that is the only team you will accept a trade to"?

That would reduce the cost.
Imagine the Merkley trade to London when he would only go there.

Merkley went for:
  • 3rd round selection in 2022 OHL Priority Selection (Niagara)
  • Conditional 2nd or 3rd round selection in 2024 OHL Priority Selection
Wouldn't be that cheap but Kingston wouldn't have much wiggle room if Wright narrows down his possible destinations.

I think Kingston would play hard ball. If they don’t get what they think Wright is worth, they simply walk away. Teams need to set a precsident for how they deal with situations and if they give in, they will get walked over for the next decade. Peterborough doesn’t have the picks to play hardball anyway. If they want an elite non-OA player, the only asset they have is Van Volsen. Because no way they are getting Wright for three 2nds and three 3rds. And no way they trade Lardis instead of Van Volsen. I just don’t see a fit without using Van Volsen.

Merkley was a cancerous clown. Not comparable.

Otto

So does Seattle. And they won't send him back unless they are comfortable with the situation

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Personally, I think Peterborough is way better off upgrading on Panwar at OA and fill the other spot. They likely wouldn’t need to deal Van Volsen.

If they went for Wright, I think it would be:
Van Volsen
three 2nds
three 3rds
4th
5th

I think Peterborough could get their two OA’s jsut using those picks and one fo the OA’s could be elite.

I think Kingston would play hard ball. If they don’t get what they think Wright is worth, they simply walk away. Teams need to set a precsident for how they deal with situations and if they give in, they will get walked over for the next decade. Peterborough doesn’t have the picks to play hardball anyway. If they want an elite non-OA player, the only asset they have is Van Volsen. Because no way they are getting Wright for three 2nds and three 3rds. And no way they trade Lardis instead of Van Volsen. I just don’t see a fit without using Van Volsen.

Merkley was a cancerous clown. Not comparable.
Petes aren’t upgrading on Panwar not sure why people keep thinking this

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
It depends on perspective. Part of development is actually playing games but there is a big part of development that takes place off ice. I don’t know what is true and what is not but he seems to have a significant beef with Kingston for some reason. Does he need to mature a bit? I don’t know. But, he can work on off-ice training with NHL players and get bigger and stronger. he can adjust to the NHL lifestyle and everything that comes with it. He practises at a much higher pace than he would at the OHL level.

I’m not certain Wright would be better served in the OHL. I think there needs to be some sort of rule that allows the NHL teams to have an “exceptional status” type player they are able to send to the AHL. That standard would need to be something like the player having played a minimum of 3 seasons of Major Junior, be picked in the top 10 of the NHL draft and the team can only name one player every three seasons max. This would narrow down the field of players eligible to the point that it shouldn’t affect the CHL teams and is best for the player themselves.
I’m not so much arguing which way is a better choice for his development, more so that these loopholes in the rule make no sense if the principal of the rule is to a. Ensure the kids best interest are looked after and b. The chl is allowed to keep elite talent in house.
If they’re going to allow teams to just scratch a kid 70 times a season then why even have a rule at all, same as making up a reason to send him to the American League that is clearly supposed to be used for a kid that is actually hurt then why not just let the kids play in the AHL and be done with it. Same thing in LA with Clarke, it seems they’re just doing this because they’re not sure what they want to do with him for the rest of the year.

You make it sound like the CHL has any say. What are they going to do? Say no to the NHL? 18/19 year olds are adults. In the vast majority of working environments there is nothing preventing a person from working where they want. The CHL is lucky for what they get
If they had zero say then why is the rule in place at all? The rule was put in place for various reasons, and the loopholes being used just make it sound silly. Why not just let the kids play in the American League all year long and be done with it.

Otto

I’m not so much arguing which way is a better choice for his development, more so that these loopholes in the rule make no sense if the principal of the rule is to a. Ensure the kids best interest are looked after and b. The chl is allowed to keep elite talent in house.
If they’re going to allow teams to just scratch a kid 70 times a season then why even have a rule at all, same as making up a reason to send him to the American League that is clearly supposed to be used for a kid that is actually hurt then why not just let the kids play in the AHL and be done with it. Same thing in LA with Clarke, it seems they’re just doing this because they’re not sure what they want to do with him for the rest of the year.

If they had zero say then why is the rule in place at all? The rule was put in place for various reasons, and the loopholes being used just make it sound silly. Why not just let the kids play in the American League all year long and be done with it.
It's not a loophole, it's also a rule that allows for it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Petes aren’t upgrading on Panwar not sure why people keep thinking this

Because they are short on draft picks and it is a way to marginally get better without significantly expending picks to do it. Trade Panwar for picks and then use those picks plus another pick or two and you upgrade to a better player.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Because they are short on draft picks and it is a way to marginally get better without significantly expending picks to do it. Trade Panwar for picks and then use those picks plus another pick or two and you upgrade to a better player.
Who’s taking panwar?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Petes & Frontenacs might be ideal trading partners if Wright is returned, and the Petes are on his short list.
Petes could get Wright & Roger.
Kingston getting Meelee or Dezoete & McCoy might make them odds on favourite memorial cup bidder.

Avon-Robertson-Lockhart
Othman-Wright-Stillman

LMAO
That 2nd line would be +50 after 25 games. And does not do much for Wright’s development imo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad