Player Discussion Shane Wright next season: NHL or Juniors?

Wright in 22-23

• Habs roster

• OHL Kingston

• decide after 9 NHL games

• other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
No one's questioning his 15 year old season. It's the progress since then that have people raising questions.

Has he plateaued? Or was last season just an off season by his 15 year old season standards? Was it being off a year and a half from covid? etc... etc..
Again, he still performed like a 1stOV should, but we were expecting him to dominate, which he didn't. But except McJesus and Tavares who dominated as a 17yo in the OHL ? Not Stankos, not Seguin, not Hall... There was Kane, but he played on a stacked team and was a late birth...

Wright still played well (and had great stats for a 17yo) even if we would have hoped for him to be even better.

Reactions: Sorinth and 26Mats

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
what sources in particular have you wondering?
Read some scouting reports but at this point it's a crap shoot and I think the safe pick is Wright.
Nischier and Patrick picked ahead of Heiskanen, Makar and Petersson....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Read some scouting reports but at this point it's a crap shoot and I think the safe pick is Wright.
Nischier and Patrick picked ahead of Heiskanen, Makar and Petersson....

One thing I saw posted today was encouraging. Joshua Roy was once a young prodigy, which caused him to go #1 overall in the qmjhl draft. He then had a down year. But is now back as a top prospect. hopefully Wright's down year is due to so much time off from covid.

But really hopefully the scouts that are watching these guys daily know what they're doing. Is Nemec the next Fox/Makar PP QB? is Jiric the next Hedman? Wright the next Tavaras/Bergeron hybrid? Even if I watched hundreds of hours of video I wouldn't be able to answer. So gotta trust the scouts...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One thing I saw posted today was encouraging. Joshua Roy was once a young prodigy, which caused him to go #1 overall in the qmjhl draft. He then had a down year. But is now back as a top prospect. hopefully Wright's down year is due to so much time off from covid.

But really hopefully the scouts that are watching these guys daily know what they're doing. Is Nemec the next Fox/Makar PP QB? is Jiric the next Hedman? Wright the next Tavaras/Bergeron hybrid? Even if I watched hundreds of hours of video I wouldn't be able to answer. So gotta trust the scouts...
I don't envy them because drafting #1 puts a whole lot more pressure on them.
It's one thing to get a late first round pick wrong, it's another to draft Brian Lawton or Doug Wickeheiser (RIP).

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
In a draft like this, I would have zero issue trading down to 3 or 4 for an addition.

There's literally 6 players who all look like very good picks. I would be estatic with any of them.

Would I trade down? Depends on the addition, but probably not. Would I blame them? Nope.

Reactions: Kaladin

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In a draft like this, I would have zero issue trading down to 3 or 4 for an addition.

There's literally 6 players who all look like very good picks. I would be estatic with any of them.

Would I trade down? Depends on the addition, but probably not. Would I blame them? Nope.

If you're not gonna take Wright at 1 - you might as well trade down with Arizona and get paid to take Cooley, Slaf or Wright.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't envy them because drafting #1 puts a whole lot more pressure on them.
It's one thing to get a late first round pick wrong, it's another to draft Brian Lawton or Doug Wickeheiser (RIP).
Shit can happen. That is why I was against tanking and-or winning 1st overall. Even then, people whould had freaked out if Habs would had drafted 2nd, 3rd or even 4th. Drafting 4th or 5th or 6th would had been the easiest spot. You take what's left. Beyond the top 6 players, there is a pretty significant gap.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If you're not gonna take Wright at 1 - you might as well trade down with Arizona and get paid to take Cooley, Slaf or Wright.
That's pretty much my thought process. If they're not taking Shane Wright... Unless they have Slaf SO FAR ahead (which would be dumb because the Top 4 are really close), trade for #3, or even #4 and settle for Nemec at worst.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sure but public gyms being closed doesn't mean that he couldn't/didn't train. But I agree, he's got the highest ceiling of all the prospects.
I don't know for sure that I want Slaf over Wright. All I'm saying is that if management really thinks he has the high ceiling and is worthy of the 1OA pick, then they should not be planning to send him back to Junior to play against children and teenagers. Conversely, anyone who thinks playing Junior is where he should be next year should not want to draft him at 1OA.

1.5 ppg is not really much of a down year.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I don't know for sure that I want Slaf over Wright. All I'm saying is that if management really thinks he has the high ceiling and is worthy of the 1OA pick, then they should not be planning to send him back to Junior to play against children and teenagers. Conversely, anyone who thinks playing Junior is where he should be next year should not want to draft him at 1OA.

1.5 ppg is not really much of a down year.
Especially when his coach made him start the year with rookies and made him look after them defensively.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That's pretty much my thought process. If they're not taking Shane Wright... Unless they have Slaf SO FAR ahead (which would be dumb because the Top 4 are really close), trade for #3, or even #4 and settle for Nemec at worst.
They would never trade down more then one spot. Wright sounds pretty close to the consensus number 1 and there’s no reason for us not to make that pick, but if he’s not their guy, that means somebody else is and they aren’t going to leave it to chance on whose left.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Scouts get paid to watch these kids, and they can still swing and miss.
Trying to get to a kids motivation is what the interview process is all about.................then determining how and what his motivation is, could help make a huge decision.............the other side of the coin, the kid says everything you want to hear, but then can't back it up.

Glad it's on someone else's plate right now.......the concensus is Wright.....

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They would never trade down more then one spot. Wright sounds pretty close to the consensus number 1 and there’s no reason for us not to make that pick, but if he’s not their guy, that means somebody else is and they aren’t going to leave it to chance on whose left.

Hard to imagine trading the 1OA when the draft is in Montreal

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
There's always a chance, even if it's extremely slim.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Scouts get paid to watch these kids, and they can still swing and miss.
Trying to get to a kids motivation is what the interview process is all about.................then determining how and what his motivation is, could help make a huge decision.............the other side of the coin, the kid says everything you want to hear, but then can't back it up.

Glad it's on someone else's plate right now.......the concensus is Wright.....
What’s interesting in all this; Hughes used to prep the prospects for these combine interviews during his agent career, wonder how much insight that provides now sitting on the opposite side of the table and reading which responses are staged vs sincere.

Reactions: BLONG7

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Scouts do it for a job, guys on here have fun with it and try and outsmart the scouts. Can it happen absolutely, but I will go with the pro's.

Reactions: 26Mats

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What’s interesting in all this; Hughes used to prep the prospects for these combine interviews during his agent career, wonder how much insight that provides now sitting on the opposite side of the table and reading which responses are staged vs sincere.
Very interesting indeed.......................kids naturally would be nervous, but some can carry themselves well anyhow.

Hard to imagine trading the 1OA when the draft is in Montreal
Unless it involved PLD from the Jets?? Wink wink................

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I’d go with Wright. Up until the start of this year, he was tagged as “generational”. Slow start, better finish, so so playoffs. Average year but all the evidence up until this year pointed towards a great 1st overall pick. Maybe not generational but a good good player.

I’d put a lot of blame for the average season on COVID and the slow start. Playoffs, sure he was average but it’s 10 games….his team wasn’t the best and the coaching was suspect. I’d trust the body of work and take Shane. Even if he is getting dunked on a bit now, EVERYONE still agrees he’s a future great player. Everyone sees a 70 point 2-way centre man. If that’s the downside scenario and the upside is a 80,90 point player, then you take it!

Reactions: Paddy17 and Redux91

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Very interesting indeed.......................kids naturally would be nervous, but some can carry themselves well anyhow.

Unless it involved PLD from the Jets?? Wink wink................
Mike Komisarek & David Fischer apparently aced their combine interviews, some are just good at prepping for canned responses & have excellent believable delivery

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Assuming he makes the team, I think I would slot him with Drouin and Gallagher

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He'll make the team for sure. The team is in a perfect position to develop him at the NHL level.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Or everyone thinks they are checking out Slaf and they are really looking at Nemec.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Should be in Laval. That is one of the dumbest rules in hockey. An 18 year old can't play minor pro. I can't see him developing much in Kingston as that will be terrible team next year.

Wright likely be in Montreal. Toronto started Matthews out as third line center with limited defensive responsibilities. Behind Kadri and Bozak. It worked out well for him. Wright be same I imagine. Start season as third line center behind Suzuki and Dvorak. Dvorak traded at trade deadline is my most likely estimate.

MSL could be good for Wright thou. He'll let him be creative without defensive restrictions a Julien or Therrien would have implied.

Wright will most likely be with Montreal next year.

However, it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to go back to Junior one more year.

As for Kingston being a bad team, Habs can help facilitate a trade to a better team in the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad