Injury Report: Shane Prince Out 4-6 Months (Ankle Surgery)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I feel bad for him and hope he gets better soon but that takes some of the pressure off our log jam in the bottom 6, TBH.

I wonder if this was an off ice injury or something else.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I feel bad for him and hope he gets better soon but that takes some of the pressure off our log jam in the bottom 6, TBH.

I wonder if this was an off ice injury or something else.

Seems like he got hurt last year and just couldn't get it to heal.

I've heard that high ankle sprains are worse than breaks, so I feel bad for the guy. As everyone has acknowledged, it does give a little more flexibility with the roster when it comes to forwards.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Feel bad for Prince, I was excited we acquired him and was hoping for a good showing from him this year, but Beau and Barzal must be feeling a bit better about their spots right now.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sucks for Prince as this is a contract year for him.

For the Islanders, it means one less guy to potentially waive at camp, which is a good thing, because there's definitely a bit of a log jam for spots 7-13. Prince will likely do a conditioning stint in the AHL when he's healthy.

Unless Gionta suprises, I expect Quine to now be the 13th forward with one of Barzal/Beauvillier starting the season in the AHL.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Feel bad for the guy. But as an Islander's fan, EASILY replaceable. Bottom 6 forward at best, extra forward at worst. Should allow Beauvillier, Ho-Sang and Barzal more ice time.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Prince's recovery timetable allows him to be Snow's "him coming back is like a deadline acquisition" guy this year.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Kid is a good player. Better than he showed last year and a LOT better than most think.

Really hoping we can hang on to him for 18/19 season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This seems about right...

Even leaving Barzal out of the equation, Prince and Quine are forwards 13 and 14. Snow 'n co. are well aware of this. This decision for surgery at this point was surely very deliberate.

This scenario now automatically avoids the NYI needing to send one of Prince/Quine down through waivers.

And who knows, by the time Prince is ready to come back, we may need him. Otherwise, he can play in the A on a rehab assignment without any worries.

Makes a lot of sense from a roster and contract standpoint.

Hopefully he comes back with a sense of proof and furry, uhhh, fury for that next contract.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Seems like he got hurt last year and just couldn't get it to heal.

I've heard that high ankle sprains are worse than breaks, so I feel bad for the guy. As everyone has acknowledged, it does give a little more flexibility with the roster when it comes to forwards.

Sounds like you are on point here. As its from last year, I'm surprised he waited til August to pull the trigger. He didn't know in May/June that it wasn't getting better? He just cost himself potentially half the season in his walk year. That's a bigger deal for him than it is for the Islanders.

But if he was indeed playing on a bum leg for much of last year and this surgery will help him, maybe he can be a help when he comes back. I still like the kid and think he can contribute as a skilled bottom 6 guy. He should have figured out a way to learn how to play the right side. Would have given him much more playing time - both in Ottawa and here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad