Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Wheeler was a top line player in his prime

I think we should probably not hold Pinto to that standard

Reactions: bert

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Pinto isn't an above average skater at all, while Wheeler is one of the best skaters in the league at his size.

Don't like that comparison.

Pinto moves around just fine and his skating certainly isn't a liability so I am comfortable with my comparison for projection sake.

It's about what he can still become, not trying to say he will be a clone of Wheeler.

Reactions: bert

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Pinto isn't an above average skater at all, while Wheeler is one of the best skaters in the league at his size.

Don't like that comparison.

Pinto is a solid skater, no where near the best but definitely closer to above average than below.

Comparison is weird though, Pinto is a force along the front and boards, no where near the hands, playmaking and vision of Wheeler.

Brock Nelson is my comparable. Backes and Pavs are good too in their strengths around the net, but I see Pinto as a really good comparable to Nelson with possible mix of Anders Lee's finishing ability if he reaches his ceiling.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Pinto is a solid skater, no where near the best but definitely closer to above average than below.

Comparison is weird though, Pinto is a force along the front and boards, no where near the hands, playmaking and vision of Wheeler.

Brock Nelson is my comparable. Backes and Backes are good too in their strengths around the net, but I see Pinto as a really good comparable to Nelson with possible mix of Anders Lee's finishing ability if he reaches his ceiling.

Pinto is above average at many things - IQ, faceoffs, defensive play, board play, tipping ability - but skating is not one of them IMO.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pinto is above average at many things - IQ, faceoffs, defensive play, board play, tipping ability - but skating is not one of them IMO.
Skating is one of those things that different people evaluate differently. Some look at their stride and edge work, while others look at their speed and explosiveness. A guy like Paul is very fast, but not explosive and doesn't have great edgework. Formenton is fast and explosive, Stützle has great edgework. Chabot is effortless in his stride.

I like Pinto's skating because he has very good acceleration allowing him to win short races for loose pucks, is and is very solid on his skates so hard to knock off stride. I haven't seen the edgework a guy like Stützle has in spades, but he isn't bad in that regard, and his top speed is good but not great from what I've seen (that one is hard to judge in small samples because you rarely use your top speed).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Don't see the comparison with Wheeler at all. Wheeler is a giant speedy playmaker winger. That is a very rare combination.

Shane Pinto is a high IQ 2-way center.

I'm guessing the Wolski comparison was a joke

I don't dislike the Brock Nelson comparison but I think Pinto's defensive game will be better and face-off ability much better. I think it's more his play around the net that is alike, the way he position himself and scores

I like the David Backes comparison the most, the Blues Backes. He had a 0.63 PPG with St. Louis (52 pts per 82 GP)

Pinto could be better on face-offs though, and also possibly better offensively as he is late bloomer and started playing hockey seriously at 15 y/o. Hopefully he'll be as tough as nails as Backes was

Yes, definitely Backes comparison for me until I see a better one.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
LOL...lets get the season going!

Didn't realize a projected comparable would be such a hot take!

Not that I am going to fight this too hard but to put it in perspective Wheeler started in the NHL at 22 years old and in 81 games put up 24, 20 & 26 assists in his first 3 seasons. In his 25 year old season he posted 47 assists and his first 60 point season. From there on he continued to remain about that pace until he crept close to PPG at 29 years of age.

At 31 he eclipsed PPG and has performed well in to his last season as a 34 year old.

Pinto will be 20 at the start of the season (turns 21 in Nov) and given how he plays I would be shocked if he is less than 20A this year.

He most likely won't reach the production of peak Wheeler (with Laine, etc...) but he can certainly put up points be it in a different manner ie not so much off the rush.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
I see similarities to Sean Couturier & Mark Stone combined. Not saying he will be that good although stylistically that is who he reminds me of.

Reactions: KapG

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Is Mike Fisher a good comparison? Really good two way player with a high compete level.

Fisher was fast, strong as hell and had a wicked shot. I would say everything else was fairly average.

Pinto is more of an average skater but his IQ makes up for it. I like the Backes comparison but I don't think Pinto has the intimidation factor.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Is Mike Fisher a good comparison? Really good two way player with a high compete level.

This and Craig Smith combined. solid two way play, average skater, he’s looking more like a shoot first centre, strong on the boards and on the puck

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This and Craig Smith combined. solid two way play, average skater, he’s looking more like a shoot first centre, strong on the boards and on the puck

I keep hearing this online about Pinto and his skating, and I just dont understand it whatsoever tbh...

I know that it was mentioned on his scouting profile at the draft as something that he needed to work on for sure... But thats not what I saw at all last season?

Hes got a good first few steps and doesnt get caught behind the play - and he didnt look like one of those guys top-heavy/muscular guys who look like they're skating in quick sand for the first few strides.. I saw good edges and balance - a guy who knows how to be strong on his skates and change directions quickly. And I thought he had an above average top speed that came from his powerful stride.

My guess - if its not already a strength of his by this upcoming season - Pinto will eventually be regarded as an excellent skater at one point in his career. Im positive he will throw everything in the kitchen sink at it in his offseasons. Pinto is a smart and super driven high level athlete, and having elite skating is a no-brainer for the type of player he wants to be.

As a hockey player there is nothing more uncomfortable, apparent, or thought consuming than when you move up into a higher tier and realize just how much faster everyone there is than you are. Its humbling and will haunt your brain every shift until you can adjust to the pace (or gtfo and go back to where you belong....).

And so again imo, I didnt see a player that was behind the play at all, or had issues with pace and getting engaged with the guys he was shadowing over all three zones. Or a player that was appearing to struggle to play the game he was used to playing.

TLDR - Seems to me that the running theme of Pinto having mediocre level skating, is no more than an old draft day wives tale that continues to live on.

Kid will probably be on or close Norris's if Im being totally honest.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think David Bolland is a better comparison
This seems like a really good comp. Hell of a player until injuries caught up to him. Skilled with a nasty edge and an ability to show up in big games. In Ottawa he likely has more of an elevated role so he probably is a little more productive. Hope he can be the same kinda playoff player.
I keep hearing this online about Pinto and his skating, and I just dont understand it whatsoever tbh...

I know that it was mentioned on his scouting profile at the draft as something that he needed to work on for sure... But thats not what I saw at all last season?

Hes got a good first few steps and doesnt get caught behind the play - and he didnt look like one of those guys top-heavy/muscular guys who look like they're skating in quick sand for the first few strides.. I saw good edges and balance - a guy who knows how to be strong on his skates and change directions quickly. And I thought he had an above average top speed that came from his powerful stride.

My guess - if its not already a strength of his by this upcoming season - Pinto will eventually be regarded as an excellent skater at one point in his career. Im positive he will throw everything in the kitchen sink at it in his offseasons. Pinto is a smart and super driven high level athlete, and having elite skating is a no-brainer for the type of player he wants to be.

As a hockey player there is nothing more uncomfortable, apparent, or thought consuming than when you move up into a higher tier and realize just how much faster everyone there is than you are. Its humbling and will haunt your brain every shift until you can adjust to the pace (or gtfo and go back to where you belong....).

And so again imo, I didnt see a player that was behind the play at all, or had issues with pace and getting engaged with the guys he was shadowing over all three zones. Or a player that was appearing to struggle to play the game he was used to playing.

TLDR - Seems to me that the running theme of Pinto having mediocre level skating, is no more than an old draft day wives tale that continues to live on.

Kid will probably be on or close Norris's if Im being totally honest.
Agree his skating is way better than people describe. He has a long powerful stride. Brings his feet right back under him. I think he will continue to get faster. I wonder about his offensive creativity but his raw tools are great. Stylistically I see some Bergeron in him. Nothing fancy good shot good hockey IQ. He clearly isn't Bergeron but I do see some similarities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samsquanch

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
probably not as mean as Backes. To me more a Jason Arnott

Yeah I had said it remains to be seen if he can be as strong as Backes. That guy was tough as nails.

Arnott not a bad comp but he was a towering center at 6'5 and had a laser shot. Not saying Pinto's shot is not good (his one-timer is really great) but it's more sneaky good like Clarke MacArthur for example. It remains to be seen if Pinto can reach the PPGs Arnott had because a career 0.75 PPG is pretty solid, particularly considering he played early at 19 y/o until late at 37 y/o. Arnott had 0.84 PPG in Edmonton (early) and 0.83 PPG in Nashville (late) so it won't be easy to reach these highs but 0.67 PPG in New Jersey and 0.78 PPG in Dallas, which seems more attainable for Pinto. I think Pinto will be considered better defensively, Arnott was mainly used as an offensive center, whereas Pinto might be so good defensvively that coaches won't want to miss that "opportunity" to match him up. Oh and expecting Pinto to be much better on face-offs too.

We can keep digging but that Backes comp is good. A lesser Patrice Bergeron is another good comparison but edge goes to the Backes one IMO

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad