Shane Doan

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I never really got to see Doan play much, it was mostly from the 2008-2009 season i saw him play. When he was younger, what was he like on the ice?

Is he considered the best forward who played for Coyotes?

Do you guys think he could put up 78 and 73 points in todays nhl if in prime like he did in 2007-2009?

Shane-Doan-Release-Photo.jpg

(just asking out of curiosity)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Personally I think he was made for his era, the same skill set now woukd probably not see him play key minutes as players are faster and more skilled than Doan. But that is true of most players of most eras.

Reactions: Yandover

Yandover

Nov 8, 2013
I never really got to see Doan play much, it was mostly from the 2008-2009 season i saw him play. When he was younger, what was he like on the ice?

Do you guys think he could put up 78 and 73 points in todays nhl if in prime like he did in 2007-2009?

Shane-Doan-Release-Photo.jpg

(just asking out of curiosity)
Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick were at least two forwards who were better.

Reactions: _Del_ and MIG

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick were at least two forwards who were better.

Tkachuk yes, I think Roenick is a lot less clear. Roenick's best years were before he came here and the numbers he put up while here, he got to put up while playing with Tkachuk mostly. Most of Doan's prime was spent on garbage Gretzky teams.

I'd give the nod to Doan in terms of his time on the Coyotes. Roenick the better player in his whole career.

Last edited:

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
much like the posters above have said, today's NHL has adapted to a much faster/skilled and less physical game. Shane Doan was a power forward through and through. He was a Mack Truck. He was never really speedy, just had a decent shot, strong as a horse, and thought the game well.

I think if in his prime, Doan could be a 45-50 point player in today's NHL

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
He was a beast, a true power forward. IMO Doan in his prime was one of the most fun players to watch in the NHL. He didn't have the high end skill of most star players but he was sooooooo physical. He'd just bowl over players, he had the farm strength yet was still full of skill as well. I'm not sure if there's a good comparable in todays NHL, maybe Wayne Simmonds if he was bit bigger? :dunno:

It really depends on how you interpret "best forward". I would say statistically Tkachuk is probably the best forward to ever play for the Coyotes but Doan is the best Coyote of all time and by a landslide.

It's hard to tell but certainly possible, one thing you have to remember about Doan is he put up those numbers while playing on relatively weak teams. Who knows what he'd do in his prime and with an actual 1C. Sure todays NHL is faster but Doan in his prime was still a powerful skater, he wouldn't beat guys with his speed but I think his skating would be good enough to not be much of an issue. Todays NHL is pretty wimpy though so Doan in his prime would probably be suspended once a week for checking too hard. :laugh:

Reactions: RABBIT and Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad