Confirmed with Link: Shane Doan Retires

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Goof comment

Announcing a few months earlier would have changed?

Would have allowed fans to properly see Doan off in his last NHL game.

Then there's this confusing quote in the AZ Republic article: "When the game ended, I remember thinking, “This is the last NHL game I’ll be on the ice looking up instead of looking down.â€

I loved watching him play for all of his years in Arizona, but I wasn't outraged when the Coyotes said they're not interested. Now it comes out that even Doan was pretty sure his career was over.

Feb 12, 2003
Thank you Shane. I will definitely be there when they rightfully raise your jersey to the rafters this season. As previously mentioned, this is the first jersey that really should be retired by the Coyotes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's okay with me that it took him some time to decide. It's okay with me that the Coyotes parts ways when they did. Barroway, Chayka, and Doan could all have handled this better. He should come back and all hard feelings should be abandoned.

buickcadillacman

Jul 3, 2006
It was fun watching him, he poured his heart and soul into this team and endured a lot of franchise crap that most wouldn't. Sad to see him retire, but hope he comes back in some sort of management/coaching roll!!

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Jet fan here. I watched his 1st game in Winnipeg. This is the end of an era for me. He was the last Jet 1.0 to playing in the NHL.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Jet fan here. I watched his 1st game in Winnipeg. This is the end of an era for me. He was the last Jet 1.0 to playing in the NHL.

So now you can embrace the Thrashers' legacy. It would be a nice thing to do for the former Thrashers players who didn't make it to Winnipeg.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Need to get the Doan statue built asap. I have no idea how much a good one will cost, 100k? Could crowdfund it. I know I will give a bit.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's okay with me that it took him some time to decide. It's okay with me that the Coyotes parts ways when they did. Barroway, Chayka, and Doan could all have handled this better. He should come back and all hard feelings should be abandoned.

Pretty much exactly this.

Apparently he's the last NHLer of all the 90s teams that moved. Pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Thank you, Shane Doan. You are a legend in Arizona sports.

I'm biased because I'm a hockey fan first, but I think the legends of Arizona sports go something like this:

1) Shane Doan
2) Larry Fitzgerald
3) Curt Johnson
4) Randy Schilling
5) Luis Gonzalez
6) Jake Plummer

(I'm being tongue-in-cheek with "Curt Johnson" and "Randy Schilling" :P)

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016

I'm biased because I'm a hockey fan first, but I think the legends of Arizona sports go something like this:

1) Shane Doan
2) Larry Fitzgerald
3) Curt Johnson
4) Randy Schilling
5) Luis Gonzalez
6) Jake Plummer

Goldy

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I hate all of the other local pro sports teams though. I hope the Suns, Cardinals and DBacks all relocate to different states. Rattlers too. Leave just the Coyotes, Roadrunners and college teams.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I hate all of the other local pro sports teams though. I hope the Suns, Cardinals and DBacks all relocate to different states. Rattlers too. Leave just the Coyotes, Roadrunners and college teams.

I would never wish relocation on anyone! But i'm a Dodgers & Lakers fan so i'm not big on the Dbacks or Suns. Cards are my team though.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I hope we get a jersey retirement ceremony sometime this season. C'mon Barroway, here's your chance to right that wrong, all of Coyote nation will be better for it!

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

1) Shane Doan
2) Larry Fitzgerald
3) Curt Johnson
4) Randy Schilling
5) Luis Gonzalez
6) Jake Plummer

My Mount Rushmore, in order:

Doan
Fitz
Gonzo
Nash

HM: Barkley, KJ, Randy Johnson, Darnell Dockett.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
My Mount Rushmore, in order:

Doan
Fitz
Gonzo
Nash

HM: Barkley, KJ, Randy Johnson, Darnell Dockett.
I mostly agree but not sure about Nash. I mean he was awesome obviously but my perception was he never really felt as attached to the community here as the other 3 you mentioned. That's my perception anyway.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If a new arena gets built, it's too much to name the arena after Doan (we need those sponsorship bucks!), but it'd be neat if the arena was located on Shane Doan Road.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Doan's retirement was a top story during live read updates on Mad Dog Sports Radio (Sirius) yesterday. It was amusing how many times they interchanged "Phoenix" and "Arizona". During one read they even said something like "the longtime Winnipeg Jet".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad