Shane Doan Appreciation Thread

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He is the real deal. My first time meeting Shane my son was 6yrs old and waiting in a line to get Shane to autograph a jersey...he spent about 5 mins talking with my son about hockey and he was as genuine a player as I've ever come across in sports...he truly cared about the fans and the community.

He will be missed.

#19 Forever Captain Coyote

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He is a super nice guy. I've not been a superfan of his as a player, but he did a lot for this franchise. It would've been sort of poetic to let him and the team share their final season if that's how it shakes out. I also think not offering him a contract at all and making a public service announcement about it is exactly the "video game vs real people" weakness people have been wary about regarding Chayka.
I do think as a player he was way too comfortable here. He looked very done and unengaged last season and didn't like a reduced role (which was still too many minutes, imo). I'd also like to see the room dynamic changed, so that's a positive.
Maybe if he goes somewhere else and plays games that mean something, he can find some fire and get it going a bit again, but I don't see any reason to believe it'd happen here.

I would've left my offer at the league minimum with performance bonuses until he finally wanted to call it quits, but I'm sort of glad we're moving on. Just wish we had the sense to do things differently.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
One of the nicest guys in a professional sport.
At those meet and greets, Id be so nervous that I couldn't ask a sensible question..
Whereas Grossman I thought was going to punch me for asking a dumb question and Duclair laughing his butt off when I asked him a dumb question, Shane Doan was patient, looked at the 300th autograph seeker as intently as he did the first and actually walked along with me for a minute discussing something about "Rain Scald" on horses.
I actually asked him about rain scald on horses......geeesh

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I'll never forget, I went to one of my first hockey games ever, we were playing the Sharks. It was tied going into the last minute and Doan got a breakaway one on one with the San Jose goalie, took the shot and about fell over when he did it. Scored with 17 seconds left. Incredible moment for me, a guy from the midwest, that caused me to fall in love with the Coyotes.

Thanks Shane, you will be missed!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Hope this thread reaches 1,000 pages.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I still think people are in shock.

It is a lot to take in.

One of my favorite moments was watching Doan manhandle the Sharks and scoring the tying goal in a game in San Jose. It was awesome how he took over, hit everything in site and was just going to bull his way to the net.

Plus, any hit he had on Brown, the fight with Brown

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
This one's probably mine, just because I happened to have a good seat for it, and I kinda felt like Doan (the tank year right after the trade deadline and the departure of Vermette I think, Getzlaf bumps Shane, but Shane really looked like a guy saying "all right, that's it, I have had a beyond sh****y week, and I'm not taking any of your crap, Getzlaf")

Thing is, I'm not really a "hockey fight" guy, but I was yelling my head off at this one

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
hockeyexample.jpg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Loved Doan, who the Oilers should have drafted. Saw him play a ton in Phoenix when I visited and have a signed jersey of his. Classless move by the Coyotes who I believe alienated a lot of fans with how he was exited. Used to be my team after the Oilers but after enduring a tire fire in Edmonton for a decade I cannot cheer for yet another tire fire that this new owner with his baby GM has created. I will cheer for the Knights now and please God don't let Doan sign with the Flames. I couldn't stand to see that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Simply the best. Will always love Doan.

He seemed so bewildered by the entire rebuilding process for so many years, that I think it's good to give him a shot elsewhere. I hope he does well on a team that is headed in a direction that he understands and appreciates.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hope once the dust settles and the emotions are less raw that they give him a job as community ambassador. Just make him available to the media and public 40 hours a week. Going to schools, team events, radio interviews, facetime on team broadcasts -- face of the franchise stuff. He'd probably love it as much as every one else would.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Doan has been really good on the NHL network when they have him on...he would be a good guy to be a part of the broadcast with anyone but McConnell.

Doan can take over for Nash...I think it would be great for Doan to remain an optics piece of game day and he'd love to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad