Prospect Info: Shane Bowers history in Avalanche so far?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Bowers was supposed to be the first overall pick in the Q draft before Veleno got exceptional status so I guess he had hype building back then. The Avs also sent him to the nhlpa rookie showcase where they do all the photos and promo crap for the card companies so that’s probably why so many of them were made up of him.

Bowers actually spent one official day on the NHL roster last season...so they could use his cap hit when they LTIRed Francouz. Other than that he hasn’t been close. The Avs don’t have much use for cerebral defensive forwards and prefer tryhard energy guys in the bottom six. Since this will be Bowers’ last year of waiver exemption I imagine he’ll finally get a game but will need a fresh start elsewhere to have a real shot at an opportunity.

I hope he gets a good look in training camp and surprises.

Pushing Helm down to the 13th F would be great for the depth of the team. Alao rotating LOC out of the lineup at times will probably be a good idea.

Reactions: Arto Kilponen

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Can Bowers even do anything at the NHL level that is better than the current 12 forwards on the roster?

He's obviously not touching top-six time, so can he do things better than any of Jost/Nichushkin/Compher/Maltsev/Helm/O'Connor? And is he so much better at those things that he's going to be one of those players for a spot in the lineup?

If the answer to that question is no, then there isn't really a discussion to be had. Darren Helm is not a difficult player to beat out of camp, even if he's a veteran. The path is crystal clear for Shane Bowers to earn a spot on the team in training camp - I just don't think he has it in him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There’s zero chance Helm is a guy they are willing to sit or waive. The whole win a job in camp is a mythical concept too. The roster is set in the summer months. The AHL vets with high guaranteed salary are in a competition for call up seeding. There’s either a plan to include guys on ELC or not by now.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Kaut got the top line, pp1, special situations where vets pick up cheap points like in OT and with the net empty and wouldn’t you know it his production increased! Bowers was on the third line, some pp2 time, no special situations. He’s not an offense driver but he could have been put in a much better position to get cheap points. Funny thing his 7 goals was third on the team and nobody but Tynan got any assists. It’s all individual offense on that team to begin with. But no I’m not holding out hope myself.
Even if Kaut did get favourable minutes the fact that he's able to produce despite everyone playing so selfishly is a positive, especially considering that his style of play is that of a complementary player on a line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Bowers must have really good representation with Judd Moldaver and all the connections and clout from Wasserman.

He managed to get into the O'Brien workouts every summer. He gets Nate and Crosby to rave about him all the time. Now he's got 126 NHL hockey cards.

But the hype hasn't matched the performance so far. I was always concerned with his offensive skills and finishing ability. Even as a 4th liner in the NHL it needs to be at a certain level. He seemingly has everything else and you know he's in good shape from working out with O'Brien.

Hopefully he takes another step in his development next year, and there should be some 4th line opportunities with injuries, unless Joe adds some camp tryouts that perform well. He's behind the eight ball at this point though, so he definitely needs to bring it to turn himself into a full time NHLer.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Shane Bowers has a history with the Avalanche? Learn something knew every day.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There’s zero chance Helm is a guy they are willing to sit or waive. The whole win a job in camp is a mythical concept too. The roster is set in the summer months. The AHL vets with high guaranteed salary are in a competition for call up seeding. There’s either a plan to include guys on ELC or not by now.
You understand that Darren Helm has been brought in to play on the 4th line, yes?

I know you don't have faith in the Avs with prospects, but they aren't going to deny a young player playing time if he earns it in camp. And by earn it, I mean really earn it. Not be on the same level or barely above Helm, because in that case Helm is always getting the call - he's shown he can play for years at the NHL level. Bowers hasn't shown a thing. But if he comes in and performs, he will win a spot in camp. The roster is not at all set in summer. Otherwise Valeri Nichushkin would be playing for a different organization right now and Bowen Byram would have been back in the WHL.

Reactions: Barklez

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
One wish I do have for the call ups this year is that aside from playoffs and perhaps the occasional regular season game against Vegas or something, I want young higher ceiling prospects being the first call ups even if they aren’t the best players.

I’ve always been on board with the Tynan/Megna call ups because I just wanted the Avs to ice the best team possible. But at this point when I feel the playoffs are already a lock I’d rather give those other younger players a look and see how it goes. I want the Kauts/Rantas/Bowers/Barrons to be the call ups when needed.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
One wish I do have for the call ups this year is that aside from playoffs and perhaps the occasional regular season game against Vegas or something, I want young higher ceiling prospects being the first call ups even if they aren’t the best players.

I’ve always been on board with the Tynan/Megna call ups because I just wanted the Avs to ice the best team possible. But at this point when I feel the playoffs are already a lock I’d rather give those other younger players a look and see how it goes. I want the Kauts/Rantas/Bowers/Barrons to be the call ups when needed.
I definitely like the idea of allowing them games and showing them an open door. It's all on them to step through it and shut it behind them. They are giving them good looks and as long as they past the test they will continue to get the looks I think. It's if they start to let up, then comes the Jayson, Blidh, etc.

I really hope this is too serious for Bowers. I really would like to actually see at least a ridiculously small sample size, but this is just unreal.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad