Shallow pool of CHL prospects in Chicago Blackhawks organization

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

With the majority of prospects playing at the pro level, the Chicago Blackhawks pool of junior prospects is only four players deep in 2013-14. The group still features plenty of talent, including 2013 first round pick Ryan Hartman and 2012 second round pick Dillon Fournier.

Although early picks in the draft have been used on CHL prospects in recent years, the Blackhawks tend to favor college-bound players and European prospects with later picks. The flexibility of not having to sign a player for four years after the draft, an advantage which now extends to European prospects in the new CBA, is especially valuable to a club like the Blackhawks, where roster spots are at a premium in both the NHL and the AHL.… read more

More...

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
The Hawks have been drafting more from the USHL and NCAA, which shouldn't be surprising since the quality of prospects from those programs have gotten markedly better in recent years.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
And how many open roster spots do we figure to have for the next 3-5 seasons anyways?

Toews
Kane
Hossa
Sharp
Shaw
Saad
Kruger
Bickell

Keith
Seabrook
Leddy
Hammer

Crawford
Raanta

Those guys will be around for a while.

As a prospect the Hawks probably have the most difficult lineup to crack..... Most of these guys are in their prime to boot (or even haven't reached their prime)....

IMO, I feel bad for some of our prospects like Morin and Pirri who are clearly NHL ready but cant crack the lineup full time because the Hawks already have those positions filled...

Also, I'm sure it's frustrating to Bowman to have NHL ready talent just waiting... On one hand you want to keep these kids around because they're extremely useful but on the other you don't want to waste them when they belong in the NHL.... It must be difficult being a GM when you look at it from that perspective...

Last edited:

Nothingman*

Bickell and Kruger could be gone. As well as Seabs or Leddy. Who knows what will happen depending on the cap space. But it is good to have the pipeline full!

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Bickell and Kruger could be gone. As well as Seabs or Leddy. Who knows what will happen depending on the cap space. But it is good to have the pipeline full!

Seabs is going no where, Bickell is total cap fodder, but I expect Kruger to be around for a while... I'm not calling him part of the core, but if his cap hit makes sense then he will be here as long as hes productive...

I forgot Versteeg - he will be here until his contract runs out for sure. He's a bargain given his skillset and the cap going up....

Leddy will get a nice deal to boot......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad