Shall we critique our Calgary Flames performance so far?

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
4 games played, and a very interesting 4 games indeed. I wanted to see everyones general opinion on Hartley's 'system'/this seasons Flames in general. What you like, don't like. We've seen a game with the teams major acquisitions against the Oilers, so I think there is no better time to make this thread than now.

The Good:

-The team is finally generating some offense, albiet scrambly at some times. Hartley promised entertaining hockey, and for the first time in a few years we finally have it (apart from the second period versus the Sharks, I have been thoroughly entertained). Along with this point we have players like JayBo seemingly flourishing under this new regime.

-The team has shown resiliency so far. Ducks game: battling back from 0-3 to tie it, and coming close again to 4-5. Canucks game: coming back to tie the game at 2. Something we wouldn't have seen to often from this club last season.

-I feel that for we finally have some great depth scoring potential. We have 4 forward lines that can score:
. Gencross-Tanguay-Iginla
. Cammalleri-Backlund-Stempniak
. Hudler-Stajan-Cervenka
. Baertschi-Jones-Comeau/Jackman/Begin
Depening on the 4th line combinations, I like the way our offense looks.

The Bad Questionable:
-Neutral zone turn overs as a result of stretch pass attempts. I don't recall seeing much of these from the Oiler game (truth be told I only remember seeing the goals scored), but it was evident in the Canucks game. It creates too many oddman rushes, and eventually the other team will score on one of those oppurtunities. I'd rather see players carry thorugh the netural zone themselves.

-I've expressed this idea before: I do not like the idea of riding two lines. Maybe I'm being picky because Baertschi is on the 4th line, and played a grand total of 5:01 against the Oilers, but it worries me to see this for future guys coming up like Horak. If your line can generate good offensive pressure and create some quality scoring chances, they'll eventually get a goal. The Bart/Jones/Comeau line needs more ice time. If the 4th line was Bart/Jones/Horak, then I would really be complaining. :laugh:

-And one last thing: Brodie should stay here in Calgary. He's a great defence man, and I'll say one of our best right now. I'd hate to see him benched or even sent back to Abby.

And I guess that's it for me. I would love to see everyone elses opinion on the team so far. I know it's still very early on in the season, but with the next game on Thursday I need new things to talk about. :)

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
- Flames are ruining Baertschi.
- Trade Iginla and Kiprusoff
- They're old.
- Tank for lottery picks.
- No prospects.
- 9th place.

I think I've covered all the responses you're going to get.

EDIT: Thought this was on the main board for some reason.

My contribution: Backlund is awesome. He's turning into everything we all knew he could be. #THANKYOUBASEDGOD

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Game 1 2nd and 3rd period everyone was terrible so outside of game 1

Good
Jbo - Looks like the Florida Jbo you can really seem taking chances he wouldn't have under Butter
Widemen - has made the pp very deadly and isn't nearly as bad on defense as HF lead me to believe
Backlund- Confidence is key his game is 100% better so far then under Butter
Stempniak- Streaky scorer but not only has he showed up to start the year he also has been great on the pk
Glencross - He looks real good and has started off great and has taken the pressure off of Iggy to carry the physical player on the first line
Tanguay - Took a game or two to get use to center but hasn't looked all that out of place he is even above 45% in the faceoffs (not a bad start) and Hartley has got him shooting and it shows as he is a ppg to start the year

Neutral
Iginla - first 2 games looked meh and didn't seem to care about the back check but the last 2 have been good and he has made alot of good plays
Gio - Still adjusting to playing on the top pairing and has made so poor reads but is starting to adjust to being the defensive partner on his line
Stajan - Has been good defensively and at the faceoffs but hasn't done alot offensively but did look better with Hudler and Cervenka and tried to get them the puck as much as possible

Bad
Kipper - 1 good game out of 4 still doesn't look comfortable but has made some good saves hopefully he comes around soon
Cammy- Had a pretty good game against the Oilers but the other 3 I didn't even realize he was playing unless he was giving the puck away

the rest fit in the neutral but not alot to write about.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The Good

We have depth. Guys like Backlund, Stempniak, and Stajan are showing they can be productive given the chance.

Glencross is really looking like he's a legitimate top line winger. Considering his contract, I couldn't be happier.

The Bad

Kipper has been pretty underwhelming. It's early, but if he can't improve, this season will be over quickly.

Iginla. I haven't been impressed. He did well against the Oilers, but I expect more from him. I'm sure he'll pull together soon.

Cammalleri. Very disappointed with him so far. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if it meant bringing in a strong stay at home defenseman, or a center with top 6/faceoff abilities.

Neutral

Bouwmeester. Will we see the early Bouwmeester from here on out, or the unknown player who wore his jersey against the Oilers?

Gelinas. Every time I see him on the bench, he looks really uncomfortable. I would have preferred an assistant with more experience, but I'm willing to give him time before I decide. As of right now, I don't think he was a good choice.

Baertschi. I think he can fit in a top 6, just not here. We have too much depth, and I think he's the odd man out. If he wants to stay with the Flames this season, he needs to pick things up. He was great against San Jose, but I haven't noticed much else from him. Sending him back down to the AHL to develop isn't a bad idea.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Right now I'd say my only worry is faceoffs. I knew Hartely would turn around the Flames, so no surprises regarding the leaders other than our new faces. However, Brodie & Smith have been big surprises, whereas Stajan & Comeau have been a touch dissapointing. But it's still early and lots of time to get into a groove

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Right now I'd say my only worry is faceoffs. I knew Hartely would turn around the Flames, so no surprises regarding the leaders other than our new faces. However, Brodie & Smith have been big surprises, whereas Stajan & Comeau have been a touch dissapointing. But it's still early and lots of time to get into a groove

I am actually not that worried about faceoff's we are 23rd in the league at 47.2% including Tanguay trying to adjust to center, that is a 1% increase from last year if Tanguay and Backlund and both improve to around 46% we should be close to 50% as a team with Iggy and Stajan doing well.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
There was a faceoff against the Oilers in the Offensive zone where Tangs got booted and Glencross went in against Belanger, and Glencross won it so clean back to the defense I actually sat up in my seat and spoke aloud for all in the room to hear 'Wow :amazed:' and the Oilers fans I was with were also confused as to how their only center who can win a faceoff lost to our winger.

Granted that was his only faceoff of the game it was still neat to see. Iggy was 10-3 against the Oil and the only severely underwhelming faceoff statistic was Backs 1-5. But I believe he took a bunch of offensive zone faceoffs and the Oiler typically put Horcoff and Belanger out for those and they are fairly well known for being good at faceoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad