Shake-up in St. Louis: Demitra Traded – First Line Gets Makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
St. Louis (AP): The St. Louis Blues shook up their top line and team chemistry yesterday, when they traded their long-time offensive star Pavol Demitra to San Jose for all-star right winger Daniel Alfredsson.

Demitra had been with the team for the past seven seasons, leaving Captain Chris Pronger as the only remaining member of the Blues who were with the team when General Manager Nick Quain took over during the 1998-1999 season.

It is no secret that Quain has coveted Alfredsson for quite some time and he was ecstatic with the acquisition.

“He has the high end skill that Pavol (Demitra) has, but he brings a bit more jam to his game. That is something that will help our top line become even more effective, especially come playoffsâ€, stated Quain.

In losing Demitra, the Blues moved a member of their vaunted top line, who had combined with Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley to terrorize the league for the past three seasons. They were the top scoring line in the league all three years, and last year, all three finished in the top 10 in HFNHL scoring and amassed an astonishing 121 goals – an average of more than 40 per line-mate.

“There is no question we will miss Pavol, He was a tremendous player for usâ€, added Quain. “But in the end, this deal made sense for the teamâ€.

While Alfredsson will increase the Blues payroll beyond the soft cap this year, the Blues have plenty of funds to cover the luxury tax penalties incurred for breaching the soft cap. If the team achieves all of their endorsement deals and make a healthy run at the playoffs, their war chest could surpass $75 million by end of season.

While Alfredsson’s contract of $4.75 million will add to the payroll next year, it was anticipated the Blues would be offering Demitra a similarly sized long-term offer to stay in St. Louis. Quain stated the move would not affect the Blues cap situation next year, as they have budgeted approximately $5 million for a top line winger, which was believed to be Demitra, but now becomes Alfredsson, who is signed for three more years.

Blues Head Coach Marc Crawford indicated the team would move Heatley over to the left side to accommodate Alfredsson playing the right wing on the top line with Thornton.

For the Sharks, aside from the inclusion of extra cash to help finance their short-term money woes, the lower salary for Demitra this year was an additional consideration, as was Demitra’s ability to play all three forward positions. Alfredsson is exclusively a right winger. It is expected the Sharks will tender Demitra a long-term offer to stay in San Jose.

HFNHL Red Wings

Say it isn't so ... the Smash. Bash, Pinash (hope I got that right) is no more?!

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Dr.Sens(e) said:
St. Louis (AP):

In losing Demitra, the Blues moved a member of their vaunted top line, who had combined with Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley to terrorize the league for the past three seasons.

Correction, terrorize the league in a regular season. :D

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Actually, it was the “Flash, Smash and Panache" line, and the flash is now gone. I'm not sure the proper adjective to give Alfie, but I think it's best if I let the line gel a bit before attempting to give it a name. And I think a new creative is required, as that moniker never quite did it for me (let alone anyone else).

As to their lack of terrorizing in the post-season, they have had some good post-seasons, albeit a little slower pace than 1.5 goals per game. But that is to be expected against the best teams the west has to offer.

Now if the #1 line could only solve the .870 post-season save percentage of playoffs gone by...but alas, the Blues have turned that page and trudge on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad