Shaft/Blade Combo

Wolf the Dentist

Jan 11, 2008
Middletown, NJ
Hey Guys,

New to the game of hockey and have been fooling around with a crappy wooden stick. Feel good enough about my ability to get a real stick and I have decided on a shaft/blade combo as I would like to experiment with different styles and shapes and don't want to be too upset when I break it. Looking for suggestions on a moderately priced combo that will still deliver good performance. Thanks

Jarick

Doing Nothing
No I just picked it up this past weekend, but I've heard nothing but good things about them though. I honestly think if you're new to hockey you won't have to worry about durability at all, most sticks break through abuse (leaning as hard as you can on them to see them flex, slashes, smashing into boards and goalposts, etc).

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
been using the 8k shaft for almost 2 seasons now. durability is good, shaft is really light, makes it hard to find a blade that won't make it too blade heavy. there is a stopper in there, the wood tapered blades i been using doesn't go all the way in. cutting the hosel a bit fixes that issue.

drakerebel

Jan 12, 2011
Minnesota
anyone try the rbk 6k sickkick III shaft (standard)?

i have some old blades from high school that i like very much and i too think i'm going to revert to a shaft to try out some different patterns, the one piece sticks i'm using now just arn't doing it...i believe the blade/lie is just messed up for my shot.

GoldenTriangle

Jan 15, 2011
I've been using a Sher-Wood T100 non-grip, tapered shaft (85 flex) with the 950 blade (yeah, I use a wood blade, sue me) in the PP09 Ryan curve pattern.

Pretty lightweight, but obviously you would do better in this department by using a composite blade. I get a great feel for puck with this combo, nice quick release, durability has been good and you can pick up the shaft and a 3-pack of the 950 tapered blades for around $150.

Some people complain about the durability of Sher-Wood's wooden blades but I haven't had any problems with the 950. Even the blade on my 5030 woodie backup stick that I bust out on occasion is holding up pretty well.

I'm 22, I've been playing hockey since I was 7, I know how to shoot the puck and I usually give my sticks a lot of abuse, that being said, this combo has held up better than I expected.

And to the OP, great name =)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I've been using a Sher-Wood T100 non-grip, tapered shaft (85 flex) with the 950 blade (yeah, I use a wood blade, sue me) in the PP09 Ryan curve pattern.

Pretty lightweight, but obviously you would do better in this department by using a composite blade. I get a great feel for puck with this combo, nice quick release, durability has been good and you can pick up the shaft and a 3-pack of the 950 tapered blades for around $150.

Some people complain about the durability of Sher-Wood's wooden blades but I haven't had any problems with the 950. Even the blade on my 5030 woodie backup stick that I bust out on occasion is holding up pretty well.

I'm 22, I've been playing hockey since I was 7, I know how to shoot the puck and I usually give my sticks a lot of abuse, that being said, this combo has held up better than I expected.

And to the OP, great name =)
Yeah, Sherwood wood blades are fine as long as you tape them regularly, it's when people let the tape wear through that they get problems, just like any other wood blade really.

fat pat

Jun 9, 2008
Subuirbs of Chicago
I just picked up a Reebok 8k shaft and it's pretty good. On clearance lots of places. Get one of those and a few tapered wood blades in different patterns and find out which one you like.

also agreed on the 8k. ive been playing with one for about a year. really really light, good pop. its been very durable as i play about twice a week in pretty chippy/slashy mens leagues. im not that easy on my sticks either. been one of the best shafts ive had.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I have both a Bauer One95 and Reebok 8K shaft, love them both. One95's aren't made anymore so don't be afraid to grab one if you find it and want one.

I'd recommend getting a nice shaft but get a cheap wooden blades, one of each type (straight mid curve, heel wedge, toe curve, etc.) so you can play around and find what you like without spending alot on composite blades.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Find yourself an Easton Ultralite. If you can find an older one, they're tanks, lightweight and perform pretty well. It's also a standard shaft so blades are readily available.

I've lost all interest in them after they changed to the solid color graphics, then later changed it to the ST. I feel that the greenish and earlier Ultralites were better. You'd be surprised how often they show up at places like play it again sports or craigslist.

When I need to do reviews of standard blades, I use a first-gen Ultralite.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Find yourself an Easton Ultralite. If you can find an older one, they're tanks, lightweight and perform pretty well. It's also a standard shaft so blades are readily available.

I've lost all interest in them after they changed to the solid color graphics, then later changed it to the ST. I feel that the greenish and earlier Ultralites were better. You'd be surprised how often they show up at places like play it again sports or craigslist.

Agreed. If you use a wood blade, the Ultralite is the way to go because it balances the stick very well.

I have an Ultralite and a one95 standard shaft, and the Ultralite feels lighter with the same wood blade because of its balancing.

Waltah*

you guys recommend ABS blades for sport court puck/ball roller hockey right?

i got a great deal on an abs and a composite blade. im expecting the composite to fall apart but thats no biggy.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

i got a great deal on an abs and a composite blade. im expecting the composite to fall apart but thats no biggy.

Yea. ABS blades last a good amount of time. I go with wood blades, but they do not have the durability of abs blades.

I have both a Bauer One95 and Reebok 8K shaft, love them both. One95's aren't made anymore so don't be afraid to grab one if you find it and want one.

I'd recommend getting a nice shaft but get a cheap wooden blades, one of each type (straight mid curve, heel wedge, toe curve, etc.) so you can play around and find what you like without spending alot on composite blades.

+1.
Mess around with wood blades until you find the one blade you like.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

And as I suggested in your other thread, not just any ABS blade, but the Koho Crossover specifically. ABS on the bottom 1/4 or so, wood for the top 3/4, with fiberglass around the whole thing. Gives the feel and stiffness of a wood/fiberglass blade with the durability along the bottom of an ABS blade. Normal ABS blades have a pretty strange ball/puck feel to them.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

I just bought my brother a Junior Ultralite blade at the MonkeySports store in Santa Ana. It was $10 on sale and it was the navy volored model with some sort of black weave around it. I was wondering if your (granted, Senior) UL blade is the same and what qualities make it so desirable

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Hey Guys,

New to the game of hockey and have been fooling around with a crappy wooden stick. Feel good enough about my ability to get a real stick and I have decided on a shaft/blade combo as I would like to experiment with different styles and shapes and don't want to be too upset when I break it. Looking for suggestions on a moderately priced combo that will still deliver good performance. Thanks

I've gotten sick of breaking my OPS's so I have started going with 2 piece set-ups. There are lots of lightly used shafts on ebay for <$50, but hockeymonkey also has a good selection. I've always liked easton products, and prefer a composite blade. What you pick is up to you, as it is really preferential.

Waltah*

hey folks just wanted to chime in here and say thanks for the insight.

love my 6k shaft (got it on sale for less than $60) and tried 2 blades on it. one is a composite bauer supreme one55 PM9 curve and an ABS reebok crosby curve.

i DO NOT like the feel of the composite blade at all. i was absolutely terrible with it and if anyone thinks "puck feel" is a myth....theyre wrong. I had to keep looking down to make sure i had the ball, and had to see its location on the blade to shoot correctly. with the abs blade i could keep my head up and always knew where the ball was on the blade.

the composite blade felt numb to me. i was constantly losing the ball, it was rolling off the heel and toe, couldn't get a good feel for a wrist shot....etc. just didnt work for me.

so composite shaft with wood or abs blades for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
You can't judge puck feel based on a cheap blade, that's why we keep saying over and over again that cheap composites aren't worth it. Try a One95 or Total One blade and you'll get that puck feel in spades.

PS, you can't sell stuff here, I'd take it down before you get banned.

Waltah*

You can't judge puck feel based on a cheap blade, that's why we keep saying over and over again that cheap composites aren't worth it. Try a One95 or Total One blade and you'll get that puck feel in spades.

PS, you can't sell stuff here, I'd take it down before you get banned.

banned is a bit extreme dontcha think?

spending anything over $30 on a blade is too much IMO for what i play. so no composite for me i guess. no biggy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad