Alexandre Picard - Rostislav Olesz - Jason King
Wojtek Wolski - Anze Kopitar - Alexander Perezhogin
Robert Nilsson - Dan Fritsche - Anthony Stewart

Andrew Hutchinson - Cam Barker
Brent Seabrook - Luc Bourdon

Kari Lehtonen

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
With their last pick in the draft, South Texas selects (D) Matt Lashoff.

South Texas Tuskens

Thomas Vanek - Ryan Getzlaf - Nikolai Zherdev
Scott Upshall - Alexander Steen - Alexander Radulov
Ken McArdle - Jiri Hudler - Devin Setoguchi

Niklas Kronwall - Noah Welch
Keith Ballard - Matt Lashoff

Henrik Lundqvist​

Cheers.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
leafs_fan1001 is now up to complete his team!

randomcanuckfan has a pick to make up to complete his team!

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
... and before this thread slips off into the forgotten reaches of cyber-space, I'd like to nominate two of our GM's for two awards, respectively:

1. The "I told you so, didn't I?" award ... goes to leafs_fan ... who pegged Carlo Colaiacovo as the 14th best prospect in the world, and then managed to draft him with the 80th pick overall ... the real question being: Would anyone else ever have picked Cola?

2. The "Sandbagger" award ... goes to VanIslander ... who, with much huffing and puffing ;) insisted that Ehrhoff and Bryzgalov were in fact the 12th and 13th best prospects in the world, respectively ... and who then passed on both Christian and Ilya through rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 ...

... and since self-deprecating humor isn't my thing, I'll let someone else pick on me ...

Cheers.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
Shadow said:
After the draft is finished I would like everyone to give out there final lines for a last chance change up just incase someone needs it.

Also I am thinking of doing a poll on who has the best team. I am wondering if I should state each teams values like this; 1. Best team in 5-10 years or, 2. Best team with every player in there prime. Of course this is going to be very hard compare because everything is based on potential and some of these players will most likely end up busts. :D

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

... if you could couch it in terms where everyone understood that these are the only 10 teams in the league, I think a "who's best in 5 years" poll would be great ... or even: "in a ten team league made up of the following teams, which team stands the best chance of repeating as champions?" ... or, "in a 10-team NHL, which of the following minor league affiliates has done the best job of prepping the big club?" ...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
gonzopher said:
2. The "Sandbagger" award ... goes to VanIslander ... who, with much huffing and puffing ;) insisted that Ehrhoff and Bryzgalov were in fact the 12th and 13th best prospects in the world, respectively ... and who then passed on both Christian and Ilya through rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 ...
I did no such thing. I simply picked two guys who were in the top 144 clearly. I didn't get that we were to pick them in the order we think they should be in.

After all, leafs_fan took Carlo Colaiacovo very early. Is he one of the top 3 prospective blueliners? :shakehead

At least there's some who think Ilya will be a solid NHL goalie and soon. And Ehrhoff is tearing up the AHL. If I hadn't taken Meszaros and Phaneuf :clap: in the actual prospects draft, I probably would have taken Ehrhoff earlier.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
gonzopher said:
and now it's over ... :cry:

Not yet, randomcanuckfan still has his last pick. No need to cry just yet. ;)

Also, I'll make a poll using this statement by VanIslander: "Imagine that you're a GM for an NHL franchise. Which crop of prospects would you want?"

That seems perfect to me.

Later on I'll give my review of the whole draft...a huge review. As the founder of the draft I think it would be nice to have my thoughts on everything the draft has produced. :)

RandomCanuckFan

Jan 23, 2005
I select...with the final pick of the draft...F Andrew Cogilano

Winnipeg Wildcats
Alexander Semin - Antoine Vermette - Fredrik Sjostrom
Nicklas Bergfors - Chris Higgins - Lauri Tukonen
Petr Vrana - Maxime Talbot - Andrew Cogilano

Fedor Tjutin - Steve Eminger
Trevor Daley - Jakub Kindl

Marc-Andre Fleury

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Al Ovechkin - Zach Parise - Steve Bernier
Andrew Ladd - M.Zagrapan - Hugh Jessiman
Pav Vorobiev - Jussi Jokinen - Antti Miettinen

Slava Smid - Shea Weber
Kiril Koltsov - Anton Babchuck

Ryan Miller

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
Shadow said:
Also, I'll make a poll using this statement by VanIslander: "Imagine that you're a GM for an NHL franchise. Which crop of prospects would you want?"

That seems perfect to me.

Later on I'll give my review of the whole draft...a huge review. As the founder of the draft I think it would be nice to have my thoughts on everything the draft has produced. :)

... sounds like fun ... we'll be looking forward to it!

... the only concern I have with the wording of the poll question is that I suspect a number of fantasy-GM's would prefer just about any "crop" of prospects that included a 'Crosvechkin' type prospect ... just something to think about ...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
gonzopher said:
... sounds like fun ... we'll be looking forward to it!

... the only concern I have with the wording of the poll question is that I suspect a number of fantasy-GM's would prefer just about any "crop" of prospects that included a 'Crosvechkin' type prospect ... just something to think about ...
Perhaps substitute 'group' for 'crop'.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Prospect Double Draft Review!

The first draft involved creating the top 144 prospects in the world today and later turned into the top 140 due to falling teams. I believe the interest in this draft started off good but it turned pretty bad near the end when teams dropped and there was many missed picks. It's possible that if we had to make the top 200 instead of 140 the draft may not have finished. Glad we got it done though because I think it worked out great for the team making draft, so it was worth the time and effort to do.

The draft itself I knew was going to be somewhat a wreck. I knew there was no way 12 people picking one at a time could make a top 144 (at the time) list that would make sense. Everyone values prospects differently, so it was clear there was going to be odd picks and no sooner did it come then pick #12, Christian Ehrhoff... then pick #13, Ilya Bryzgalov... and even pick #14, Carlo Colaiacovo! Where were they picked in the next draft? Ilya Bryzgalov #64, Christian Ehrhoff #67, Carlo Colaiacovo #80. Odd, eh.

Here are some other notables: (First Draft, Second Draft)
Shea Weber 77 to 22.
Drew Stafford 129 to 53.
Ryan O'marra NR to 66. I think the O'marra hype got to him during the U18 and then ended up wearing off. O'marra was his first line center, later dropped to second line center, and finally got bumped to become his 3rd line center. :biglaugh:
Alexandre Picard 112 to 77.
Marek Zagrapan NR to 82.
Ryan Stoa NR to 92.
Dan Fritsche NR to 96.
Dylan Hunter NR to 101.
Jack Skille NR to 108.
Timofei Shishkanov 40 to 118. Wolfen picked him both times.
Tuuka Rask 62 to 128. Wolfen picked him both times too. He picked up his own left overs. I am not picking him though because I think he's got one of the best teams.

I find the first 4 picks in the second draft to be interesting. In the first draft Kari Lehtonen went 1st, Nikolai Zherdev 2nd, Alexander Ovechkin 3rd, Sidney Crosby 4th. In the second draft it was switched right around, Sidney Crosby 1st, Alexander Ovechkin 2nd, Nikolai Zherdev 3rd, and Kari Lehtonen 4th.

Other picks that were selected in the same place or close:
Nathan Horton 9 and 9.
Thomas Vanek 17 and 17.
Alexander Semin 25 and 25.
Benoit Pouliot 50 and 49.
Ladislav Smid 58 and 59.
Fredrik Sjostrom 59 and 61.
Ryan Kesler 70 and 73.
Nigel Dawes 85 and 81.
Nicklas Bergfors 88 and 85.
Derek Roy 83 and 87.
Brent Burns 93 and 93.
Chris Higgins 103 and 105.
Jiri Hudler 115 and 116.
Pavel Vorobiev 117 and 121.

I picked Brent Burns both times at #93 and I never even noticed until right now. Taking into consideration I picked in different order for both drafts, that is quite the coincidence.

I found some funny picks. Leafs_fan1001 selected both Colin Fraser (65), and Clarke MacArthur (66). They went undrafted in the second draft.

Other players that were picked in the first draft, but not the second:
Maxime Ouellet (30)
David LeNeveu (56)
Devan Dubnyk (71)
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (96)
Pascal Leclaire (100)
David Bolland (102)
Mikael Tellqvist (105)
Igor Radulov (107)
Dustin Byfuglien (111)
Cam Ward (116)
Jared Aulin (118)
Liam Reddox (120)
Jay McClement (126)
Bryan Bickell (135)
David Shantz (140)

No real surprises there. Ouellet is good, but the 8 goaltenders that were picked are just as good. I was surprised David Shantz never got picked, he was my next choice after Toivonen.

Overall I'd have to say the first draft was done well. There was a few odd picks of course, but we picked 123 out of the 140 in the second draft, that's solid work by everyone. I couldn't of asked for better truthful selections.

Ok, and now I'll rank the teams them in order to how I see it. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings!!! These rankings are just my opinions. Doesn't mean anything really. So, here we go...

--------------------------------------------------------------
10. Winnipeg Wildcats
Alexander Semin - Antoine Vermette - Fredrik Sjostrom
Nicklas Bergfors - Chris Higgins - Lauri Tukonen
Petr Vrana - Maxime Talbot - Andrew Cogilano

Fedor Tjutin - Steve Eminger
Trevor Daley - Jakub Kindl

Marc-Andre Fleury

9. Burnaby Mountaineers
Andrei Kostitsyn - Robbie Schremp - Eric Fehr
Stanislav Lascek - Ryan Kesler - Stefan Ruzicka
Sean Bergenheim - Marcel Goc - Marek Svatos

Dion Phaneuf - Andrej Meszaros
Shoane Morrisonn - A.J. Thelen

Ilya Bryzgalov

8. Wetaskiwin Whinos
Phil Kessel - Jeff Carter - Louie Eriksson
Lauri Korpikoski - Drew Stafford - Bryan Little
Lukas Kaspar - Travis Zajac - Dragan Umicevic

Ryan Whitney - Ryan Parent
Lane Manson - Shawn Belle

Marek Schwarz

7. Burlington Gladiators
Patrick O'Sullivan - Sidney Crosby - Kyle Wellwood
Nigel Dawes - Mike Richards - Dylan Hunter
R.J. Umberger - Mikko Koivu - Brad Boyes

Braydon Coburn - Carlo Colaiacovo
Marc Staal - Dimitry Vorobiev

Jeff Glass

6. South Texas Tuskens
Thomas Vanek - Ryan Getzlaf - Nikolai Zherdev
Scott Upshall - Alexander Steen - Alexander Radulov
Ken McArdle - Jiri Hudler - Devin Setoguchi

Niklas Kronwall - Noah Welch
Keith Ballard - Matt Lashoff

Henrik Lundqvist

5. Portland Rosebuds
Milan Michalek - Evgeni Malkin - Dustin Brown
Roman Wick - Carl Soderberg - Alexander Polushin
Patrick Eaves - Derek Roy - Blake Wheeler

Ryan Suter - Denis Grebeshkov
Mark Stuart - Jeff Woywitka

Antero Niittymaki

4. Vancouver Millionares
Alexander Ovechkin - Zach Parise - Steve Bernier
Andrew Ladd - Marek Zagrapan - Hugh Jessiman
Pavel Vorobiev - Jussi Jokinen - Antti Miettinen

Ladislav Smid - Shea Weber
Kirill Koltsov - Anton Babchuk

Ryan Miller

3. Kitchener Killer Bees
Alexei Kaigorodov - Gilbert Brule - Igor Grigorenko
Mike Cammalleri - Marc-Antoine Pouliot - Corey Perry
Kyle Chipchura - Petteri Nokelainen - Alex Bourret

Christian Ehrhoff - Lukas Krajicek
Mike Green - Brent Burns

Hannu Toivonen

2. The Nojack Screaming Eagles
Alexandre Picard - Rostislav Olesz - Jason King
Wojtek Wolski - Anze Kopitar - Alexander Perezhogin
Robert Nilsson - Dan Fritsche - Anthony Stewart

Brent Seabrook - Cam Barker
Andrew Hutchinson - Luc Bourdon

Kari Lehtonen

1. Seattle Thunderbirds
Benoit Pouliot - Ryan Stoa - Nathan Horton
Jesse Joensuu - Jack Skille - Bobby Ryan
Timofei Shishkanov - Ryan O'marra - Guillaume Latendresse

Jack Johnson - Tim Gleason
Tim Ramholt - Mike Egener

Tuuka Rask

These rankings were hard to do. Some of these teams are real close, IMO. Really took some hard thinking to put one ahead of the other, but honestly at this moment I think this is final in my eyes and wouldn't change it if I thought about it more.

For those of you I ranked at the bottom of the rankings, your teams aren't bad in anyway, just someone had to be at the end.

And for the guys on top, great job on grabbing the best players. Seattle and Nojack were 1a, 1b, IMO. Real solid teams with superstar protential prospects.

Also, you guys may have noticed I put my team 3rd. I maybe abit biased I guess, but I think I built a good team. My defence I think is my weak point though.

With my final thoughts I would like to congrat everyone in the draft, it was fun to do, I enjoyed it and I hope when I make another one in the future (something totally different though) you all sign up. Even VanIslander!

After posting this I will make the thread in the poll board with the statement: "Imagine that you're a GM for an NHL franchise. Which group of prospects would you want?"

Good Luck in the poll to everyone! ;)

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Thanks to Shadow for administering the draft. :clap:

I appreciate the comments on my squad and thanks for letting me be a replacement GM.

As for the player rankings for the 1st draft vs the 2nd draft, the 2nd one was drafting a team so player rankings (higher and lower) will change dramatically based on the needed position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad