Proposal: Severson and #17 OA to EDM for #10 OA and 40 OA

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I wouldn't as an Oiler fan and not because Severson is junk or anything but if they made a move like this they wouldn't be able to go out and get an offensive d man which they sorely need and which Severson isn't and hasn't shown to be capable of doing that.

What????

Offense is litterally the only thing Severson is decent at and when he is not producing he gets benched.

I don’t care too much for severson but I would not touch this offer. Severson is a solid 23 yo nhl player so if we trade him, we need a decent player coming back.

This is robbery for Edmonton

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I love it when people say Devils should do this and move up, look at the talent drop after 10. But you fail to ignore that Devils has been real bad in the first round since Shero took office. Zacha, Macload or whatever his name is, cant say they where homeruns. So for Devils to pay an actual player to make a bad pick again, it is mental. They should stay at 17 and hopefully an obvious choice is at the board...

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I love it when people say Devils should do this and move up, look at the talent drop after 10. But you fail to ignore that Devils has been real bad in the first round since Shero took office. Zacha, Macload or whatever his name is, cant say they where homeruns. So for Devils to pay an actual player to make a bad pick again, it is mental. They should stay at 17 and hopefully an obvious choice is at the board...

Shero may have been the GM at the time but the 2015 draft was all the old scouting regime's doing. Shero and his staff really took over at the 2016 draft.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Shero may have been the GM at the time but the 2015 draft was all the old scouting regime's doing. Shero and his staff really took over at the 2016 draft.

I agree, 2015 was not Sheros pick, but still, Devils first round picks besides a certain guy last couple of years, back to atleast 2011, is not making you jump sadly.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Makes some sense if one of the premier defensive prospects drops in the draft.

A lot of right handed shots available like Boqvist, Dobson, Woo and others who could be around that range.

Devils are a younger team and adding a potential impact player who can grow with their core would add more than a guy like Severson does eventually.

Severson seems like a fine player but I don't really see top pairing upside and I think that's something that would take them to the next level.

Doesn't mean you trade Severson just to get him out of town, maybe he takes another step next year but at least this makes some sense unlike most trade proposals lol.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
What????

Offense is litterally the only thing Severson is decent at and when he is not producing he gets benched.

I don’t care too much for severson but I would not touch this offer. Severson is a solid 23 yo nhl player so if we trade him, we need a decent player coming back.

This is robbery for Edmonton
Which is sad because he produces at the same level as a Nurse. We need a guy capable of getting 45+ points not another 20 point dman when we have 4 guys capable of putting up those type of numbers already.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I wouldn't be opposed to such a deal if the right player is there at #10.

I don't see Severson surpassing Vatanen anytime soon on the right side and adding someone like Smith, Dobson, Bobqvist or even perhaps Hugues would be ideal since they all have a higher upside than Severson imo.

It would also allow Santini to crack our lineup, who would add some much needed toughness to our blueline while still being able to make that solid first pass.

I think the Oilers would have to add a little more but it's certainly something I'd think about if the right player is there at #10.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Only way this happens is if:

1. Someone the Devils really, really value drops to #10 somehow. I would strongly consider it if Bouchard falls, for example.

2. Devils seriously think Butcher, Mueller, or Yakovlev (who is rumored to be coming over to be on the first team) is ready to take on a top four role and/or think they can convince Carlson to come to NJ.

I don't think it's impossible, but it's a deal that requires a lot of things to happen.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
What would the Devils add in a Severson, Klefbom swap? We saw in 17 what Klef can do when his arm isn't mainly composed of bone fragments, and he is still young and spry and should bounce back after this surgery, I just would prefer one more righty in the oil's top 4.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Only way this happens is if:

1. Someone the Devils really, really value drops to #10 somehow. I would strongly consider it if Bouchard falls, for example.

2. Devils seriously think Butcher, Mueller, or Yakovlev (who is rumored to be coming over to be on the first team) is ready to take on a top four role and/or think they can convince Carlson to come to NJ.

I don't think it's impossible, but it's a deal that requires a lot of things to happen.
All of the lefties you mentioned are good but not top guys. If they are put in that spot they are setup to fail. Could they be that guy, sure, not this upcoming year. And yes things have to shake out in order for 10 to be an option, but if that were the case wouldn't Edm just take that player at 10?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
All of the lefties you mentioned are good but not top guys. If they are put in that spot they are setup to fail. Could they be that guy, sure, not this upcoming year. And yes things have to shake out in order for 10 to be an option, but if that were the case wouldn't Edm just take that player at 10?

I think all three have potential to be second pairing guys as soon as next year. Highly unlikely, but they've shown enough in flashes to be able to do that. The Devils staff should have a better idea or guess on that and whether or not it's a risk worth taking.

And no to Edmonton taking said player, because everyones draft board and needs are different. For instance, Pronman has his clear cut top 5 that he sees as better than everyone else as Dahlin - Svechnikov - Zadina - Kotkaniemi - Hughes. Look at other draft analysts and you will see much better lists.

A list like Bob McKenzie's is interesting to look at because it is the consensus look but its often the average. For example, Kotkaniemi is ranked 10th on his board and Bouchard is fifth. Pronman had Bouchard at 17.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm all for any EDM-NJ proposal, because a Severson for draft position swap deal will inevitably turn into Severson for Draisaitl straight up in real life. :naughty:

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I would Do this if we can sign Carlson

Vatanen-Carlson
Mueller-Butcher
Greene-Santini

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Severson is what he is at this point despite Todd Cordell slicing and dicing the numbers to make it seem like he’s Bobby Orr. He’s a useful defenseman, but if the Devils are going to make a serious run at Carlson, he’s expendable. There’s a fairly large drop off in value between the 10th overall and 17th overall, and 40th overall would be helpful. The Devils prospect pipeline isn’t as strong as some people think, a lot of likely NHL players, but not likely a lot of impact players. The picks will help in that regard.

If Severson is a finished project on the blueline at 23 than he is in the vast, vast minority. He definitely still has room to grow, you usually don't see the best of defencemen until somewhere around 27/28

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think all three have potential to be second pairing guys as soon as next year. Highly unlikely, but they've shown enough in flashes to be able to do that. The Devils staff should have a better idea or guess on that and whether or not it's a risk worth taking.

And no to Edmonton taking said player, because everyones draft board and needs are different. For instance, Pronman has his clear cut top 5 that he sees as better than everyone else as Dahlin - Svechnikov - Zadina - Kotkaniemi - Hughes. Look at other draft analysts and you will see much better lists.

A list like Bob McKenzie's is interesting to look at because it is the consensus look but its often the average. For example, Kotkaniemi is ranked 10th on his board and Bouchard is fifth. Pronman had Bouchard at 17.
Edm nees a guy to skate with McD and RHD but I like Pronman's idea @ 17!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad