Proposal: Severson and #17 OA to EDM for #10 OA and 40 OA

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I think this works for both teams. Edmonton gets a top four right handed d without having to move out of the first round. It also makes it easier for Edmonton to make another deal. Devils move up a few spots in the first and get a second back.

I imagine the Devils only do this though if they’re fairly confident they have a good shot at Carlson.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
I would do this, think it’s a good deal for both teams if anything the Oilers might have to sweeten the pot a bit, maybe add someone like Jones.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
the Devils aren't going to give up Severson to only move up 7 spots, and a 2nd rounder...

I beg to differ. The Devil's need high end to keep the rebuild in motion. They over achieved this year and while earning experience, it did cost them a better prospect. They can get the 10th pick and a second to keep stocking the cubbards. Severson isn't the first target oilers should go for but he isn't the worst. Cough cough "Faulk". It works for both teams.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I beg to differ. The Devil's need high end to keep the rebuild in motion. They over achieved this year and while earning experience, it did cost them a better prospect. They can get the 10th pick and a second to keep stocking the cubbards. Severson isn't the first target oilers should go for but he isn't the worst. Cough cough "Faulk". It works for both teams.

It really doesn't make any sense in the slightest. They should be keeping guys that could be a part of their core for a long time, not moving backwards and trading those guys for picks that won't make an impact for a few seasons. Severson is 23 years old, he's still a damn young defenseman with room to grow. There is zero reason to trade him unless we package something alongside with him to get an immediate upgrade. Not some futures.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
It really doesn't make any sense in the slightest. They should be keeping guys that could be a part of their core for a long time, not moving backwards and trading those guys for picks that won't make an impact for a few seasons. Severson is 23 years old, he's still a damn young defenseman with room to grow. There is zero reason to trade him unless we package something alongside with him to get an immediate upgrade. Not some futures.

Severson is what he is at this point despite Todd Cordell slicing and dicing the numbers to make it seem like he’s Bobby Orr. He’s a useful defenseman, but if the Devils are going to make a serious run at Carlson, he’s expendable. There’s a fairly large drop off in value between the 10th overall and 17th overall, and 40th overall would be helpful. The Devils prospect pipeline isn’t as strong as some people think, a lot of likely NHL players, but not likely a lot of impact players. The picks will help in that regard.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think Edmonton needs to add something but I’m not sure what.

The cost to move from 17 to 10 would probably be a second rounder and I think the Devils value Severson around a late first.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Severson is what he is at this point despite Todd Cordell slicing and dicing the numbers to make it seem like he’s Bobby Orr. He’s a useful defenseman, but if the Devils are going to make a serious run at Carlson, he’s expendable. There’s a fairly large drop off in value between the 10th overall and 17th overall, and 40th overall would be helpful. The Devils prospect pipeline isn’t as strong as some people think, a lot of likely NHL players, but not likely a lot of impact players. The picks will help in that regard.

Unless Carlson sign's a contract with the Devils prior to the draft, you can't make the assumption he will and make this deal in lieu of that. And since he can't, aside from a very unlike sign and trade, there should be no way this deal gets done. Saying Severson "is what he is" is also a load of BS, the guy is 23 going on 24. He can still improve. The Devils have had 20(!!!!) picks the past two(!!) seasons, I know it sucks not having as much this time around but we can't keep hoarding picks. Much less to the extent of trading valuable roster players like Severson just to get maybe a little better of a first round pick and a 2nd rounder.

It makes no sense. At all.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Unless Carlson sign's a contract with the Devils prior to the draft, you can't make the assumption he will and make this deal in lieu of that. And since he can't, aside from a very unlike sign and trade, there should be no way this deal gets done. Saying Severson "is what he is" is also a load of BS, the guy is 23 going on 24. He can still improve. The Devils have had 20(!!!!) picks the past two(!!) seasons, I know it sucks not having as much this time around but we can't keep hoarding picks. Much less to the extent of trading valuable roster players like Severson just to get maybe a little better of a first round pick and a 2nd rounder.

It makes no sense. At all.

Severson was benched several times this season and looked lost at others. If you think he’s going to turn into Roman Josi at this point, I don’t know what to tell you.

Yes, we had a lot of picks over the past couple of years, but at this point Nico is the only one we know will be a real impact player at the NHL level. The best player in the Devils pipeline right now is Joey Anderson, not McLeod who looks like he’ll be a slightly above replacement level player at the NHL level. That’s no great shakes.

And the tampering period usually begins around the same time of the draft, although maybe it’s different this time around. In any event, I think if the goal is to get Carlson, they won’t get outbid.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

hes 23 years old.... lol

this trade makes no sense for NJ. They need help on D so they trade a decent young D for draft picks....?

Reactions: MichaelJ

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
I think this works for both teams. Edmonton gets a top four right handed d without having to move out of the first round. It also makes it easier for Edmonton to make another deal. Devils move up a few spots in the first and get a second back.

I imagine the Devils only do this though if they’re fairly confident they have a good shot at Carlson.
Chirelli already blocked the Devils after the horrendous trade he made a few years back.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Severson was benched several times this season and looked lost at others. If you think he’s going to turn into Roman Josi at this point, I don’t know what to tell you.

Yes, we had a lot of picks over the past couple of years, but at this point Nico is the only one we know will be a real impact player at the NHL level. The best player in the Devils pipeline right now is Joey Anderson, not McLeod who looks like he’ll be a slightly above replacement level player at the NHL level. That’s no great shakes.

And the tampering period usually begins around the same time of the draft, although maybe it’s different this time around. In any event, I think if the goal is to get Carlson, they won’t get outbid.

Saying I don't think he's done developing at 23 years old and saying I think he can become a #1 defensman are two entirely different things.

Drafting is still a wildcard. Hell, go back one year to this date and if anyone had told us that Jesper Bratt would be an NHL player, let alone that next season, we would have thought they were off their f***ing rockers. So, sure Nico may be the only one, actually Bratt too, that we know will make an impact that's because you know... they already have. We have a very little idea as to what we actually have. So trading a bonafide NHL 2nd pairing defenseman, despite how you view him that's what Severson is, for more lottery tickets - which could very well turn out to be as you described the prospects we currently have, not great shakes, is insane.

And getting out-bid is one thing. But if Carlson doesn't want to come to the Devils then it doesn't matter how much money they throw at him.

I just don't get it. The team looks like they're ready to take a step forward, they already have this past season even if you think it was a fluke (which in some aspects it may have been), and this is a move that's a clear step backwards for the team in the immediate future. Like, I get some have soured on Severson beyond belief for some ridiculous reason but this is too much.

Reactions: Csonked Out

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I wouldn't as an Oiler fan and not because Severson is junk or anything but if they made a move like this they wouldn't be able to go out and get an offensive d man which they sorely need and which Severson isn't and hasn't shown to be capable of doing that.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
The only way we are getting the elusive offensive rhd is if we draft one, the big names (dumba, Jones, risto) are virtually unattainable. If we could upgrade our overall defense by grabbing a Severson then it is worth looking at

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad