TV: Severance (Apple TV +)

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Is it weird, dark and slow the whole way? I stopped it 15 mins in because I wasn't enjoying the tone.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Is it weird, dark and slow the whole way? I stopped it 15 mins in because I wasn't enjoying the tone.
Yeah, it's pretty weird. It's like a LOST x Westworld mixup done by Yorgos Lanthimos.

I like it though. The sci-fi element is a very interesting premise.

Sep 19, 2008
Hearing a lot of good things about this show. Have a free 4 month trial of apple+ so I intend to "get watching" soon.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It's definitely generating a lot of buzz now. It's a good move that they released episodes weekly instead of all at once like Netflix. Season 1 is over, but it allowed the show to generate some momentum week-to-week. The season finale was a pretty incredible 40 minutes.

It's a show like LOST where it will generate a TON weekly discussion/speculation by viewers if it grows the audience big enough. I remember back when LOST was airing, here on HF, there was 40+ page threads of discussion for every episode.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Been hearing about this show for weeks but decided to wait till it was all out to watch it. Finished it all in like 2 days. Solid show. I'm a sucker for weird/dystopian/mystery shows. Look forward to season 2.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This is probably a good series, but there are too many shows on different streaming services and unless you're rich you can't have an account for all of them and so many of these shows aren't watched because of this.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Once you've finished the season finale, I highly recommend watching the premiere again. There's a ton of foreshadowing that comes into focus upon second viewing.

Easily my favorite new show of the year.

Reactions: Power Man

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Once you've finished the season finale, I highly recommend watching the premiere again. There's a ton of foreshadowing that comes into focus upon second viewing.

Easily my favorite new show of the year.
Could you pm me an example of the foreshadowing? Best show I’ve seen in a while. Loved the eery vibe and it definitely felt somewhat like LOST/Dharma Initiative

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Could you pm me an example of the foreshadowing? Best show I’ve seen in a while. Loved the eery vibe and it definitely felt somewhat like LOST/Dharma Initiative
My apologies, I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I'd have to watch it again. Basically there are little character quirks that are clues to a that character's later actions. Helly's interaction with Mark outside work, for one. She is a little too cocky to be just another person sacrificing their work life to the severance procedure. Just odd little details that one might not notice the first time around.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Great show, at least worth Apple TV for a month and then cancel :)

Nah AppleTV is great, I recommend people checking out Mythic Quest if they're running out their Apple TV subscription for this, it's a fun light comedy watch from creators of It's Always Sunny I think most people would like. Stuff like Servant and Foundation I'm a fan of but have been polarizing on the whole.

Reactions: MAHJ71

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Nah AppleTV is great, I recommend people checking out Mythic Quest if they're running out their Apple TV subscription for this, it's a fun light comedy watch from creators of It's Always Sunny I think most people would like. Stuff like Servant and Foundation I'm a fan of but have been polarizing on the whole.
Not for me. I have enough streaming apps already. They used to give you a year with every iPhone purchase but that stopped. I find the rest of the content to be underwhelming with a few exceptions.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
On episode 6 and its been interesting to say the least... saving final rating until I've finished it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I was skeptical sitting through the first episode whether it was a show I would stick with for the entire season. I thought it might be a bit too artsy fartsy and pretentious, but it got better with each episode, and it ended up being one of the better and more thought provoking shows in recent memory. I'm very much looking forward to Season Two

I'd recommend you get back on that horse, plow through the first episode, and enjoy the rest of the ride

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Couldn’t find a thread on it

I wasn’t sure I was going to like it while watching episode 1 but this show is great!

They released the season 1 finale today and it was awesome

Another homerun by Ben Stiller
"Great" is an understatement for this show. I hope they can keep it up with Season 2.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
"Great" is an understatement for this show. I hope they can keep it up with Season 2.
yup they raised the bar

Mythic quest is awesome

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Just finished this and it was really really good. Interesting premise that was really well executed. The season finale was great. I kept think it was like Westworld, if Westworld wasn't terrible.

...Mythic Quest is also awesome

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just finished Season 1, quite looking forward to Season 2. Very well-executed drama/mystery/sci-fi. It manages to continually building momentum throughout the season, which is so easy feat.

Of course, now there is the weight of expectations. I hope Season 2 can deliver. The wider premises like this expand, the trickier it can be to navigate the logic and maintain the integrity of the plot. In this day and age, (for dramas) I tend to wait until a show's run is finished before I start, lest I get hooked into a show ultimately for it to jump the shark and me be let down and feel like I've wasted my time. There's so much other content out there that I can safely start a show I already know will be satisfying throughout. But, looks I'm doing this one live, so, the pressure's on :laugh:

Also, it's nice to see Britt Lower getting high-profile work. I thought she was great in a supporting role in "Man Seeking Woman."

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think this is the best new show of the last few years.

The concept, writing, acting, everything is almost perfect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad