Several New Jersey Devils collegiate prospects developing into impact players

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
steve_santini_boston_college_020315.jpg
Photo: Steve Santini is has bolstered Boston College’s blue line since returning*from a wrist injury during his sophomore year. (Courtesy of Richard T. Gagnon/Getty Images)

Look up and down the New Jersey Devils line-up, and you will find many former NCAA athletes. Under Lou Lamoriello, the organization has prided itself on developing players from the collegiate pool into influential NHL players. Despite the Devils’ struggles in the last decade at the draft, the college pipeline has remained a valuable source of talent.

Meanwhile, the European theater has dried up from a failure to develop prospects to their full potential. Only one player from overseas who was drafted in the last ten years, Jacob Josefson, is playing on the Devils roster.… read more

The post Several New Jersey Devils collegiate prospects developing into impact players appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
"Meanwhile, the European theater has dried up from a failure to develop prospects to their full potential. Only one player from overseas who was drafted in the last ten years, Jacob Josefson, is playing on the Devils roster."

Uhhh Larsson?
Unless they mean forwards?

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
The article is misleading and lacking of facts.

In the past 10 drafts they have only selected 11 Europeans, 2 of which are currently on the roster, and one has died. Most recently a few were in the NHL and one was a piece in the Kovy deal.

In the past 5 drafts the Devils selected 2 Euros, Larsson is on the team and Jorg was a 7th rounder.

Before making blanket and misleading statements next time do 5 more minutes of research. The fact that you left Larsson out is probably the worst offense too. I expect a re-write.

John Iadevaia

May 9, 2013
Long Island
"Meanwhile, the European theater has dried up from a failure to develop prospects to their full potential. Only one player from overseas who was drafted in the last ten years, Jacob Josefson, is playing on the Devils roster."

Uhhh Larsson?
Unless they mean forwards?

It is being corrected as we speak. Also this piece was sent in before Kerfoot returned from his injury. That too is being updated.

"The article is misleading and lacking of facts.

In the past 10 drafts they have only selected 11 Europeans, 2 of which are currently on the roster, and one has died. Most recently a few were in the NHL and one was a piece in the Kovy deal.

In the past 5 drafts the Devils selected 2 Euros, Larsson is on the team and Jorg was a 7th rounder.

Before making blanket and misleading statements next time do 5 more minutes of research. The fact that you left Larsson out is probably the worst offense too. I expect a re-write."

In terms of the remaining European players the Devils have drafted, I ask how many other than Larsson and Josefson are in the NHL today? We can discuss the environment was not the best for some of these players, which has been a big issue for the Devils with all the coaching changes and changes in kinds of players for each blend of the franchise's system of polay, but it still falls on the prospect to show his worth:

Here are the facts:
-Begfors played in 173 NHL games and had 73 points over two years between the Devils, Thrashers and Panthers. He only added 9 more points in his final two seasons before going overseas for good.

-Tedenby played in 132 NHL games, had a good rookie season but never found his groove again. We can argue that the coaching change from Lemaire to DeBoer affected him but he never found that confidence he had in the first year and thus couldn't adjust.

-Urbom played in 34 NHL games. He had a head start on many Devils prospects to entrench himself into the Devils lineup but could not. Then he was traded to Washington where he had a chance to displace veteran blueliners under Oates who liked him. He did not. Then he was claimed by NJ off waivers, showed he was passed on the chart by the glut of current defensive prospects in Albany and went overseas the following season.

-Zharkov (whom I liked a lot) looked great away from the puck whenever he was called up. However, he could not score. The new coaching staff decided went veteran heavy and Zharkov went to the KHL after the 2012 season.

-Vasyunov (RIP) I was hopeful for but he returned to Russia after he played in 18 NHL games in 2010-11. He showed progress in his three seasons with the Devils. I would have liked to see what he could have become.

-Petr Vrana had three good seasons in the AHL, played 16 games in the NHL, and then the next season moved to Europe where he remains to this day.

Most of the other European prospects have either gotten their toes wet in North America for a short stint then moved to Europe for good while others have not moved up the ladder to the pros.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Missing Larsson is a pretty big gaffe.

But the overall theme was pretty accurate and something we have discussed here. We went pretty hard after the euro's for a bunch of years, and the results were not impressive. We've since gone away from drafting euro's.

Even Lar's was looking like a pretty shaky pick just a couple months ago. Can only hope that we are seeing the beginning's of a late bloom on Jacob.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Missing Larsson is a pretty big gaffe.

But the overall theme was pretty accurate and something we have discussed here. We went pretty hard after the euro's for a bunch of years, and the results were not impressive. We've since gone away from drafting euro's.

Even Lar's was looking like a pretty shaky pick just a couple months ago. Can only hope that we are seeing the beginning's of a late bloom on Jacob.

I agree with this post. The overall premise of the article wasn't flawed in my opinion, even if a big detail like Larsson not being included was wrong, and that does slightly alter perceptions, since Larsson does actually now play a large role on our defense, so there may not be a lot of European draftees on our roster, but one of the two who is plays an important role now.

That being said, I think that there is a difference in quality in our European and North American amateur scouting, resulting in North American draft picks seeming to be more successful as a whole. There's nothing inherently wrong with being a North American dominated club, just as there's nothing wrong with being more European dominated, but I'm glad that Larsson is showing how good he is (and can be now), and I hope that JJ continues to progress.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
It is being corrected as we speak. Also this piece was sent in before Kerfoot returned from his injury. That too is being updated.

In terms of the remaining European players the Devils have drafted, I ask how many other than Larsson and Josefson are in the NHL today? We can discuss the environment was not the best for some of these players, which has been a big issue for the Devils with all the coaching changes and changes in kinds of players for each blend of the franchise's system of polay, but it still falls on the prospect to show his worth:

Here are the facts:
-Begfors played in 173 NHL games and had 73 points over two years between the Devils, Thrashers and Panthers. He only added 9 more points in his final two seasons before going overseas for good.

-Tedenby played in 132 NHL games, had a good rookie season but never found his groove again. We can argue that the coaching change from Lemaire to DeBoer affected him but he never found that confidence he had in the first year and thus couldn't adjust.

-Urbom played in 34 NHL games. He had a head start on many Devils prospects to entrench himself into the Devils lineup but could not. Then he was traded to Washington where he had a chance to displace veteran blueliners under Oates who liked him. He did not. Then he was claimed by NJ off waivers, showed he was passed on the chart by the glut of current defensive prospects in Albany and went overseas the following season.

-Zharkov (whom I liked a lot) looked great away from the puck whenever he was called up. However, he could not score. The new coaching staff decided went veteran heavy and Zharkov went to the KHL after the 2012 season.

-Vasyunov (RIP) I was hopeful for but he returned to Russia after he played in 18 NHL games in 2010-11. He showed progress in his three seasons with the Devils. I would have liked to see what he could have become.

-Petr Vrana had three good seasons in the AHL, played 16 games in the NHL, and then the next season moved to Europe where he remains to this day.

Most of the other European prospects have either gotten their toes wet in North America for a short stint then moved to Europe for good while others have not moved up the ladder to the pros.

Ok, you're missing the point. The article makes it sound like the Devils have tried to draft like a whole bunch of European players, and that very few (one, prior to the edits, in fact) have panned out. The fact remains that they have only drafted 11 in ten years. That really isn't a lot, but you fail to mention it for some reason. Two of them are sticking in the NHL to this day. That means 18 percent of the picks have panned out (even though many others reached the NHL and played 100+ games). Considering that many of these picks were post-first-round picks, and that many of the first round picks have been in it's latter half, this is probably a pretty average rate which basically means that there hasn't been all that much more failure than average. Secondly, missing Larsson is not okay. The guy is 22 and has put up over half a point per game since the coaching change along with being rock-solid in his own end and on the PK.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I am pretty intrigued by some of our college prospects. Santini seems like pretty much a sure bet NHLer at this point, but Jacobs seems to have a lot of upside as well. Coleman, Kerfoot, and Pietila all have a lot going for them (varying degrees of solid two way play and offensive skill), but of course it remains to be seen if they'll transfer well to pros. Most likely all three are bottom 6 depth guys at best, but there could be some diamond in the rough potential there, particularly for Coleman and Kerfoot.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Tough crowd...

Look, right now, the NHL in 2015, is 75% North American born players (74.8 to be exact)...

Outside of North America you have:
Sweden at 8.1%
Czech Republic at 4.1%
Finland at 3.7%
Russia at 3.5%
Slovakia at 1.4%

Our hit rate on European prospects doesn't seem to be out of line with the proportions of European players in the league.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_PlayerNationalities.php

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
Tough crowd...

Look, right now, the NHL in 2015, is 75% North American born players (74.8 to be exact)...

Sweden at 8.1%
Czech Republic at 4.1%
Finland at 3.7%
Russia at 3.5%
Slovakia at 1.4%

Our hit rate on European prospects doesn't seem to be out of line with the proportions of European players in the league.

I think people are just so hung up on the fact that Tedenby and Bergfors didn't pan out, even though the odds were stacked against them to begin with considering their draft spots and skill sets. They were both risky home-run picks to begin with and everyone knew that. At their draft spots the reasonable expectation is a fringe NHL'er, and if you get better you've gotten lucky.

http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think people are just so hung up on the fact that Tedenby and Bergfors didn't pan out, even though the odds were stacked against them to begin with considering their draft spots and skill sets. They were both risky home-run picks to begin with and everyone knew that. At their draft spots the reasonable expectation is a fringe NHL'er, and if you get better you've gotten lucky.

http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

Ted's and Berg's are the biggest 2 because they are 1st rnders, but also 2nd and 3rd rnd picks in Vasyunov, Tulupov, Zharkov, Urbom. JJ is still in fingers crossed mode, and Lars not too long ago was seen as "floundering".

Hopefully the latter 2 can continue on what looks like decent upwards trajectory, but until rather recently, we had 4 euro(swede) 1st rnd'rs none of whom were making much noise. So I think that mindset is continuing to linger in spite of those 2 getting going.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
People see that we had four 1st round picks out of Sweden. Two are hard busts, one is a role player trying to break out, and only one is an actual impact player at his position.

Urbom couldn't cut it, Zharkov and Vasyunov went back to Russia. It certainly doesn't look encouraging at first glance.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Ted's and Berg's are the biggest 2 because they are 1st rnders, but also 2nd and 3rd rnd picks in Vasyunov, Tulupov, Zharkov, Urbom. JJ is still in fingers crossed mode, and Lars not too long ago was seen as "floundering".

Hopefully the latter 2 can continue on what looks like decent upwards trajectory, but until rather recently, we had 4 euro(swede) 1st rnd'rs none of whom were making much noise. So I think that mindset is continuing to linger in spite of those 2 getting going.

Also, Larsson is only now just playing like the player you'd expect to get in the first round. Josefson is only playing as a 4th center right now so I don't think you can really disagree that the devils european prospects have been kind of a disaster.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Man, that whole Tulupov thing was so weird. Remember when everyone freaked out when we lost our rights to him?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
People see that we had four 1st round picks out of Sweden. Two are hard busts, one is a role player trying to break out, and only one is an actual impact player at his position.

Urbom couldn't cut it, Zharkov and Vasyunov went back to Russia. It certainly doesn't look encouraging at first glance.

That pretty much sums it up for me. We see first round picks out of places like Sweden flounder and fail when by comparison second and third rounders from North America are succeeding, so it appears to me that there is a disparity in quality between our North American and European amateur scouting (with the North American scouting seemingly superior to the European), or else that our organization somehow stunts the development of European players at a higher rate than it does North American players. There's nothing wrong with analyzing organizational strengths and weaknesses in order to address the weaknesses and draw on the strengths. That is what I would expect Devils management to do.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Tough crowd...

Sweden at 8.1%
Czech Republic at 4.1%
Finland at 3.7%
Russia at 3.5%
Slovakia at 1.4%

ya…..but how many lithuanians are there? :sarcasm:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Amazing how much difference a few months make, right? :laugh:

Back in December, guaranteed there'd be Devils fans ready to say there wasn't a single promising Euro in the organization. Hell, Josefson's resurgence has basically come in the past week and a half.

EDIT: and to shift gears, it often escapes me how young Gavrus still is. He just turned 21 in January. And he's somehow 10th in forward scoring for Minsk despite playing over 20 games less than a lot of players below him and getting very little ice time. I'd love to see him make the jump to the AHL next season. With what's happening in the KHL and Russia in general, I don't trust any decision being made with him over there.

Last edited:

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I don't think Tedenby is done with the NHL. Now that we have a different system/coach I think we should get Teddy back to play with Josefson. Those two had a little bit of chemistry.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Of all our NCAA prospects, only Santini and Coleman strike me as NHL players.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Of all our NCAA prospects, only Santini and Coleman strike me as NHL players.

You may be right, though Pietala has an outside chance but more than likely looking at a Rod Pelley type player with him.

Conte and his college scouts overvalue the grinding 2-way forward and especially with the college players.

No more of the Rodwell's please, start drafting some skill and guys with a nose for scoring goals.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think Tedenby is done with the NHL. Now that we have a different system/coach I think we should get Teddy back to play with Josefson. Those two had a little bit of chemistry.

He's done in the NHL. He simply isn't an NHL player...I mean on his SEL team 2 defensemen out produced him... one was Chris Campoli LOL...

If you want bring a former Devil back from HV71 maybe look at his teammate Teemu Laine who also out produced him.

Probably the coach fault that he can't produce though :dunno:

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009

Its undeniable Tedenby has top notch hands and speed. I wouldn't mind bringing him back for camp. He was frustrating at times, yes, but he tended to be scapegoat. Couldn't hurt to look into a return.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He's done in the NHL. He simply isn't an NHL player...I mean on his SEL team 2 defensemen out produced him... one was Chris Campoli LOL...

If you want bring a former Devil back from HV71 maybe look at his teammate Teemu Laine who also out produced him.

Probably the coach fault that he can't produce though :dunno:

That dude can skate like the wind and he's strong.
I've always wondered why Lou has never tried to sign him.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
First of all I see the article was never updated to correct the myriad mistakes. Should honestly be deleted or moved to bleacher report.

Of Bergfors, Josefson, Larsson, and Tedenby only one of those can be considered a bust.

Larsson has obviously been amazingly lately although some fans who lack patience and memory fail to credit him for having shown this talent long before.

Josefson was plagued by injuries, that more than anything stifled his career. Now he's emerging as a Swedish Brylin.

Bergfors wasn't terrible, and he wasn't a bust because he had enough value to help us land Kovalchuk. Great trade.

Tedenby is still a Devil and the only real bust of the Swedish picks.

I would argue that player development of Europeans is strong and the scouts did as fine a job as you could hope for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad