Setogutchi

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
So just curious if we should make a run at him in the offseason. Something like 4 years at 4 million per season? I think he could slot in nicely on right side and might find his game closer to home. Always good to bring an Alberta kid to our Flames. Thoughts?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He's a secondary scorer only. He wouldn't replace Stempniak's goal scoring, but he won't be as weak on the puck and is engaged more physically on the forecheck.

Aug 3, 2010
Would have been nice a few years ago, not exactly a piece Calgary needs now.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Pretty much galiardi

This.

He's a secondary scorer only. He wouldn't replace Stempniak's goal scoring, but he won't be as weak on the puck and is engaged more physically on the forecheck.
Setoguchi is more streaky than Stempniak, meaning that even when Stempniak isn't scoring he's at least doing something. Setoguchi is hailed as not throwing his body around (or at least not as much as he can). Right now the team has a good forechecker in Galiardi and he'd be better if he could crawl out the scoring drought he's in.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I just don't think it would hurt to sign this guy and see if he can turn it around. Still young, and has potential. With right coach, near hometown you never know. We may need to make a few signings anyways to reach cap floor so why not someone younger like this?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I just don't think it would hurt to sign this guy and see if he can turn it around. Still young, and has potential. With right coach, near hometown you never know. We may need to make a few signings anyways to reach cap floor so why not someone younger like this?

True, but I doubt any team is going to offer him 4x4 like you suggested above. I wouldn't mind him filling in on the RW at 2yrs x 3 (max!) If others teams are going to beat that, great!

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Ya I know so not sure why people would say having Setoguchi is another Galiardi. Huge upgrade.

I hope we give galiardi another shot next year when he has a full ofseason to train and be ready for the season. i think he might be having a down year because he has come home and is doing a lot in the community and meeting up with family and friends

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not a fan of Seto. He isn't overly physical and he relies heavily on others for his offence. I would rather trade for a winger that brings more to the table.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I hope we give galiardi another shot next year when he has a full ofseason to train and be ready for the season. i think he might be having a down year because he has come home and is doing a lot in the community and meeting up with family and friends

What your seeing has been his performance the last 3 seasons.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I'm not a fan of Seto. He isn't overly physical and he relies heavily on others for his offence. I would rather trade for a winger that brings more to the table.

He actually has more hits then any current forward on our team other then Lance Bouma.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I would rather keep Galiardi honestly. Even though he is not putting up points he is still a serviceable player and at a good cap hit, and if we can resign him at that again at the same cap it would be really good.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Always weary about players that bounce around a lot and never seem to find a good "fit". Wouldn't hate the signing, but as short of term as possible. Honestly think we could do better.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I have always had a soft spot for Setoguchi. I think we should take a good swing at him. I think he'll do significantly better than Galiardi. It's not like we desperately need the cap space over the next 2-3 years so I'd take him for around 3 million. Don't really know what his asking price will be but I can't imagine there's going to be big demand for him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He actually has more hits then any current forward on our team other then Lance Bouma.

Let's be honest, that's not really saying a lot. He averages around 2 hits a game, it's not as if he's a bruiser. He would be signed to fill a top 6 role and there are better options via trade. Regardless I'm not a fan, I hope we don't sign him.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I like Seto. I think he could be the type of player we look for, some support scoring, fairly young, still has potential to turn it around. I wouldn't mind taking a run at him, we need to hit the cap floor and play a full roster somehow.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would only be favour of acquiring Setoguchi as a UFA if it meant Cammalleri, Stempniak, and Galiardi were all traded away. Need to make sure there's roster room for incoming prospects.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

This.
Galiardi is struggling right now but you can see the talent he has. He chips away and is one of the better forecheckers on the team, it's just bad that he's snakebitten.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Would only be favour of acquiring Setoguchi as a UFA if it meant Cammalleri, Stempniak, and Galiardi were all traded away. Need to make sure there's roster room for incoming prospects.

I agree. Especially if Abbotsford goes deep in the playoffs. Afterwards, you got to think that some of our guys in the system have proved they deserve a chance at the next step. Filling the Flames with vets indicates that there is no faith and opportunity for these prospects.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I agree. Especially if Abbotsford goes deep in the playoffs. Afterwards, you got to think that some of our guys in the system have proved they deserve a chance at the next step. Filling the Flames with vets indicates that there is no faith and opportunity for these prospects.

Precisely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad