Seth Jones vs Darnell Nurse

Better player and better contract

• Total voters

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Who's better and whose contract would you want?
A couple years ago this would be Jones in a landslide but I'm not sure what people think now

Seth Jones (CHI) 8 years at $9.5M, Age 28
Last season 78GP, 5-46-51P, 26:13TOI

Darnell Nurse (EDM) 8 years at $9.25M, Age 27
Last season 71GP, 9-26-35P, 25:03TOI

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
1668842998253.png

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I find it wild these two were the first 2 defenceman taken in 2013

And both are going to earn about $100 million in the NHL in salaries give or take.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Jones could do better if he was glued at the hip with Mcdavid.

Strong Hearts

Jun 15, 2021
I find it wild these two were the first 2 defenceman taken in 2013

And both are going to earn about $100 million in the NHL in salaries give or take.
And the third defenseman taken in that draft... Rasmus Ristolainen.

What a year!

Jones easily. Comparing these two is like comparing Nick Lidstrom to Steve Staios.
I'm not sure why you would say this. This is just dumb.

Reactions: snipes

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Nurse is better than Jones. HF would agree if Nurse got cherry PP min like Jones does.

Nurse doubled Jones ESP last night against Vegas with a couple primary apples.

Jones has a ES corsi for of 39.2% this year.... which is negative relative to teammates by over 4%, on one of the worst teams in hockey...

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Jones is slightly better, Nurse has the better contract considering neither guy is worth north of 9M. Kind of wild how Nurse seems to be looked on like a trash tier player just because he's signed to 9.25 instead of 7M. Dude is underrated.

The only reason he got so much money is because we bridged him right to UFA and he had a career year is some BS covid division, on top of us losing our actual 1D to a career ending injury. If we still had Klefbom this wouldn't even need to be a conversation. Sad how that turned out.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Nurse is better than Jones. HF would agree if Nurse got cherry PP min like Jones does.

Nurse doubled Jones ESP last night against Vegas with a couple primary apples.

Jones has a ES corsi for of 39.2% this year.... which is negative relative to teammates by over 4%, on one of the worst teams in hockey...

He’s played 8 games…

Last year he was over +4 relative corsi

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
1 ESP in 8 games is downright terrible for a supposed #1D. If you want to bring up last year fine, Nurse was much better that year too.

Nurse:
PuckIQ | Woodmoney | Darnell Nurse

Jones:
PuckIQ | Woodmoney | Seth Jones

Lol that’s an outrageous statement. He’s a defenseman on a poor team. It’s called sample size. Nurse literally had an 8 game stretch with a single ES point last year.

And I’m not arguing that there isn’t a case for Nurse, it’s that using an 8 game sample to try to dismiss someone is just brutal homerism.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Seth Jones all the way

Jones was (is?) a bonafide #1 dman with a heavy contract but at least, at some point in time, it was justified. He could maybe return in his glory days.

Ideally Nurse is on your second pairing. Could be on 1st pairing for time to time buthe's not on the same tier as Jones IMO. That contract is absolute nonsense.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Lol that’s an outrageous statement. He’s a defenseman on a poor team. It’s called sample size. Nurse literally had an 8 game stretch with a single ES point last year.

And I’m not arguing that there isn’t a case for Nurse, it’s that using an 8 game sample to try to dismiss someone is just brutal homerism.
Im being a homer but cherry picking on of Nurses worst stretches of ES production is fine? Ok then. And you may disagree but an 8 game stretch with a sub 40% corsi for is notable is a bad way and worth discussing.

And no comment on Nurses dramatically better dangerous fenwick stats from last year eh? I will simplify it and just add the relevant charts. Nurse was much better than Jones last year, and he has been much better this year as well.

Nurse.png

Jones.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Im being a homer but cherry picking on of Nurses worst stretches of ES production is fine? Ok then. And you may disagree but an 8 game stretch with a sub 40% corsi for is notable is a bad way and worth discussing.

And no comment on Nurses dramatically better dangerous fenwick stats from last year eh? I will simplify it and just add the relevant charts. Nurse was much better than Jones last year, and he has been much better this year as well.

View attachment 610540

View attachment 610541
He only cherry picked because you did it first bud

What do these charts even show? What are they tracking? What are they measuring?

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
He only cherry picked because you did it first bud

What do these charts even show? What are they tracking? What are they measuring?
Since when is a players stats over a full season "cherry picking"? That is an interesting perspective. 1 ESP and a sub 40% corsi in an 8 game stretch is downright terrible is worthy of being mentioned.

Charts show dangerous fenwick% (DFF) against QOC. Nurse had simultaneously much better DFF% and also faced harder competition last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mez

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Since when is a players stats over a full season "cherry picking"? That is an interesting perspective. 1 ESP and a sub 40% corsi in an 8 game stretch is downright terrible is worthy of being mentioned.

Charts show dangerous fenwick% (DFF) against QOC. Nurse had simultaneously much better DFF% and also faced harder competition last year.
You mentioned that Jones had 1 ES point in 8 games this year and the other poster said that Nurse had a stretch of 8 games with 1 ES point last year too and you called that cherry picking. 8 games is still 8 games no matter what stretch of the season it was.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
You mentioned that Jones had 1 ES point in 8 games this year and the other poster said that Nurse had a stretch of 8 games with 1 ES point last year too and you called that cherry picking. 8 games is still 8 games no matter what stretch of the season it was.
Its one thing to look at a players season to date, another to go through a game log and look for another players worst stretch. One is cherry picking, the other isn't. This isn't a difficult concept lol. And either way its a minor part of my argument.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
They both have the ability to throw the game away on their stick blades.

You want more grit and compete, go Nurse. If you’re looking for handiness I’d go Jones.

Can’t go over all the bone head plays Nurse makes or him flawlessly skating through three zones just to shoot and miss the net.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nurse has been a better player three years running now.

Both contracts are terrible though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad