Do you agree with Hayes?

• Agree, they are not a serious team

Votes: 98 94.2%
  • Disagree, they are a serious team

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What you expect has become the biggest joke on these boards. We were going to beat Boston, then Buffalo, the Chicago for sure because you know, according to you the fact that we lost to them earlier this season made it less likely that we'd lose to them again.

One of these days we'll win a game, then you can start bragging about being right, for once. So far though, you've been wrong about everything.
The drama here is good stuff. I can only imagine what the game day thread looks like.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Opposite of serious is a joke, which they are. 5 regulation wins in 20 games
Stats are funny things. You can often manipulate them to conform to whatever argument you like. For instance, the new thing here is to point to regulation wins. The reason for that is that it makes people feel justified in their complaints about the team. But another stat is that the Leafs have the fourth least number of losses in the Eastern conference. Tied with Detroit. Trailing only Boston and the Rangers. If I were to make an argument about the Leafs being resilient, I feel like that is a stat that I would probably reference. But I acknowledge that it is easier to complain about the team.

Reactions: bax and Buds17

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
How any fan can think this team is serious about contending is beyond me.

It boggles my mind that ANYONE would think this franchise is serious about winning the cup. The best years of the greatest Leafs players in the history of the team are being wasted. And a good chunk of the future has been traded away.

With nothing to show for it all.

What the fans want is simple: we want our team to be great again. Like the one we were promised. We know being mediocre, with no hope for improvement, will only continue under the Shanahan administration.

So we want change.

It’s because we're fans who care that we demand change. The one thing I think everyone on this forum can agree on is that we all want to see this team be successful. If we didn't care about the team we wouldn't care about the results.

Anyone disagreeing with that statement is acting like a sock puppet with ownerships hand up their ass.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Does a serious team get outshot 15-6 in the first period AT HOME after having 2 consecutive no-show games?

Maybe I'm projecting but I get the feeling, that when the Leafs are bad, the stars are standing around looking for someone to come to their rescue. It's like they dont even believe in themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
yes the Leafs are not a serious team, but it’s hard to take the league serious.

They need to get rid of OT. It’s boring and players play the last 10 minutes waiting for it.

Reactions: hullsy47 and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
yes the Leafs are not a serious team, but it’s hard to take the league serious.

They need to get rid of OT. It’s boring and players play the last 10 minutes waiting for it.
I find the 3 on 3 entertainer. Hate the shoot out, makes a goat out of one of the goalies. I like the way it was in the “old days……….”

Reactions: andora

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I find the 3 on 3 entertainer. Hate the shoot out, makes a goat out of one of the goalies. I like the way it was in the “old days……….”
Of all of the things that could have been changed in the game, I'm not sure why ties were such a big issue. I don't like 3-on-3 or the shootout. The former has become a circus of players circling the ice a hundred times, and the latter is no different than flipping a coin. Change the rules to create more goals during regular time, stop calling back so many goals for irrelevant offside plays or other things that clearly don't impact the play that led up to a disallowed goal. Pointless rant on my part because the league will never get rid of either one.

Reactions: andora

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
3 on 3 was fine now it’s just awful to watch. The shootout is about as bush league as you could find in any sport.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
3 on 3 was fine now it’s just awful to watch. The shootout is about as bush league as you could find in any sport.
3 on 3 is literally now just players circling in and out of the offensive zone to maintain possession for as long as possible. Eventually, the league will need to create a rule prohibiting cutbacks across lines in order to force players to make plays at the blueline rather than incessantly circling back, but that will just result in more stoppages.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Stats are funny things. You can often manipulate them to conform to whatever argument you like. For instance, the new thing here is to point to regulation wins. The reason for that is that it makes people feel justified in their complaints about the team. But another stat is that the Leafs have the fourth least number of losses in the Eastern conference. Tied with Detroit. Trailing only Boston and the Rangers. If I were to make an argument about the Leafs being resilient, I feel like that is a stat that I would probably reference. But I acknowledge that it is easier to complain about the team.
Instead of cherry picking stats, just look at the overall standings which show the Leafs tied for 9th with Detroit. I've always looked at goal differential too as a decent predictor and that shows us to be at 0, we're basically a textbook example of mediocrity at this point.

I expect we'll play a bit better going forward but not a lot better. We'll likely finish in the bottom half of the top 10 as usual and win 0-1 playoff rounds, as usual. This is what we've been doing pretty consistently for years now and it's pretty much the same team it's always been so I see no reason to expect anything much different in the way of results.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Instead of cherry picking stats, just look at the overall standings which show the Leafs tied for 9th with Detroit. I've always looked at goal differential too as a decent predictor and that shows us to be at 0, we're basically a textbook example of mediocrity at this point.

I expect we'll play a bit better going forward but not a lot better. We'll likely finish in the bottom half of the top 10 as usual and win 0-1 playoff rounds, as usual. This is what we've been doing pretty consistently for years now and it's pretty much the same team it's always been so I see no reason to expect anything much different in the way of results.

Tied for 13th ....

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I gotta say I have some issues with the phrasing of this poll where the answers are yes, they are unserious vs. no, they are serious

LOL, wut? What's your problem, did the cat pee in your corn flakes?
I rephrased, apologies. but come on. they last finished in the "bottom half of the top 10" 3 seasons ago

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Drifting through the wind, anting to start again?
Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin
Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in?
Do you ever feel already buried deep
Six feet under screams, but no one seems to hear a thing?
Do you know that there's still a chance for you
Cause there's a spark in you

You just gotta ignite
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the fourth of Julyyyyyyy

Thanks to the queen Katy Perry for her prophetic assessment of the 23-24 Toronto Maple Leafs. A house of cards ready to collapse, but there's always a chance. I'd have put effort into changing the lyrics to make it funny, but this team rarely puts in effort so why should I put effort into my shitposting?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Over the course of Leafs first 20 games they've played they included 5 X OT (3v3) and 4 X SO.

Almost 1/2 of their games this season have been decided by gimmicks and circus time events included to entertain fans during the regular season only.

These events don't happen in the playoffs, where the serious teams compete for Championships as there are no games decided by "double tap" rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad