Serious question via former Leaf greats in the organization?

Durkin67

Why does the hire have to come within? Your point isn't exactly valid considering Ron Hextall was groomed by the Kings and later became the GM of the Flyers.

The Leafs by character grooming a back-yard Ontario kid, Kyle Dubas, to become a possibfrle candidate as a GM for the Leafs. This thread is irrelevant as each player after their career doesn't necessarily decide management is the new career direction.

Shanny was the Director of Player Safety, many notable GM's have gotten t
be put in the same category as a Shanahan when it comes to scrutinizing experience.

Where are you going with this? Your critical point seems to be clouded..

The question I am posing isn't related to any of the following, contrary to the (mis)interpretations of the majority or responders:

1. An ex Leaf would be better than Shanny
2. Ex Leafs are automatically entitled to a management gig.
3. Star players naturally become star executives.

Based on the above, 95% of the replies to this question are redundant.

My SOLE contention here is that this (dis) organiization has somehow managed to alienate its former players like few others have in pro sports. Im simply wondering why. And I think the way most former players have distanced themselves from the brand is quite telling.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The question I am posing isn't related to any of the following, contrary to the (mis)interpretations of the majority or responders:

1. An ex Leaf would be better than Shanny
2. Ex Leafs are automatically entitled to a management gig.
3. Star players naturally become star executives.

Based on the above, 95% of the replies to this question are redundant.

My SOLE contention here is that this (dis) organiization has somehow managed to alienate its former players like few others have in pro sports. Im simply wondering why. And I think the way most former players have distanced themselves from the brand is quite telling.

We've been a losing franchise for how long now? If we compare management from 10 years ago to know their have been giant strides made. You are spitting out lines like former players have "alienated" or "distanced" themselves from the brand. Can you please offer me an example other than looking at the few franchises with former NHL figure heads?

It's quite telling that 95% of the replies are redundant because most do no understand where you are getting at with this.

Durkin67

If 95% want to mistead what was written and/ or jump to conclusions that's on them.
I cant make it any clearer.

I dont imagine there is any great love lost between former players and MLSE.

If you believe otherwise, good for you. I see a significant and obvious chasm between the Leaf brand and the people whose numbers are hanging in the rafters.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
On multiple occasions live and numerous occasions on TV - former Leafs (Sundin, Sittler, Clark, Gilmour, Salming, etc.) are present and prominent at the ACC.

Not sure if this "chasm" is something you want to believe or have evidence for.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Like pointed out earlier, I don't see how this matters at all when non of the ex greats from the Leafs continued a career in coaching/management other than Gimour who has only been in the OHL for a few years now.

Patrick Roy for example was coaching in the QMJHL for several years, was passed over for the Habs coaching job a couple times and then finally was hired by the Avs. Other moves like Linden aren't even proven to be good moves for those teams as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thankfully Garth Snow or Holmgren or Milbury never played for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad