Series winning OT goals since 1980

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Damn you for bringing that WCF 2014 Game 7 OT goal back into my life. :cry:

No shade LAK fans, it was a great series. Now I just also remember literally falling to my knees when it happened after standing up the entire OT.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
The Rangers 2012 ECF Game 6 loss to the Devils and the Kings' Cup-winning goal in 2014 will haunt me forever... Those were so painful because those Rangers teams were the best chance for Lundqvist to win the Cup, he was playing out of his mind.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
No shade LAK fans, it was a great series. Now I just also remember literally falling to my knees when it happened after standing up the entire OT.

I was a Caps fan when LaFontaine scored the quadruple overtime winner against them in 1987. I was in college living in California, and I also fell to my knees when that game ended. Not from a standing position, though. I just slumped from the couch.

Reactions: JaegerDice

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The OP is a mean person.

I've never been accused of having a life so I went through the video and Ottawa wasn't too bad. They've won 3 of 7 games decided by at OT goal. As expected, most teams are within 1 game of .500 as there really shouldn't be a reason why a team clinches a series in overtime as opposed to any OT goal.

In fact, the team with the worst record is Hartford. (Poor Mike Liut) They lost all 5 series before they moved to Carolina. But amazingly, the team with the BEST record is Carolina. They are 7-0 in these type of series.

Calgary 15 series decided on an OT goal
Washington 15
Vancouver 14
Chicago 14
Pittsburgh 14
Dallas 14 (That's just Dallas, no Minnesota included)

Only 2 players have decided 3 series, Patrick Kane and Martin Gelinas. A bunch have 2 of them, Bonino/Peter Stastny/Brunette/Tikkanen/Joe Murphy/Greg Adams/Russ Courtnall/Alec Martinez/Dale Hunter/Verhahge/Henrique/Burrows

But I think the fact that Barclay Goodrow has been on the winning side of five series winning OT goals in just 13 series is rather amazing:

San Jose
2019-GWG in game 7 vs Colorado
Tampa
2020-assist on GWG vs Columbus
on bench for GWG vs Boston
assist on GWG vs Islanders
Rangers
on bench for GWG vs Pittsburgh

Dude has had a ton of great celebrations.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Damn you for bringing that WCF 2014 Game 7 OT goal back into my life. :cry:

That will go down as one of the all time great playoff series ever

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Series-winning overtime goals are awesome to watch. I love playoff overtime in general, especially very long overtime games. It's awesome to watch a building erupt when the home team is on the winning end of a series-winning overtime goal. On the other hand, to me, it's also morbidly amusing when the visiting team does it.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I've never been accused of having a life so I went through the video and Ottawa wasn't too bad. They've won 3 of 7 games decided by at OT goal. As expected, most teams are within 1 game of .500 as there really shouldn't be a reason why a team clinches a series in overtime as opposed to any OT goal.

In fact, the team with the worst record is Hartford. (Poor Mike Liut) They lost all 5 series before they moved to Carolina. But amazingly, the team with the BEST record is Carolina. They are 7-0 in these type of series.

Calgary 15 series decided on an OT goal
Washington 15
Vancouver 14
Chicago 14
Pittsburgh 14
Dallas 14 (That's just Dallas, no Minnesota included)

Only 2 players have decided 3 series, Patrick Kane and Martin Gelinas. A bunch have 2 of them, Bonino/Peter Stastny/Brunette/Tikkanen/Joe Murphy/Greg Adams/Russ Courtnall/Alec Martinez/Dale Hunter/Verhahge/Henrique/Burrows

But I think the fact that Barclay Goodrow has been on the winning side of five series winning OT goals in just 13 series is rather amazing:

San Jose
2019-GWG in game 7 vs Colorado
Tampa
2020-assist on GWG vs Columbus
on bench for GWG vs Boston
assist on GWG vs Islanders
Rangers
on bench for GWG vs Pittsburgh

Dude has had a ton of great celebrations.

There have been some classic, CLASSIC Stars playoff games over the years......even ones that didn't end a series but still went two or three OTs.

Morrow's OT winner against San Jose is still one of the greatest games I've ever watched.

Heartbreaking losses to the Ducks and Blues, then winning consecutive series in the bubble with some OT magic too.

Looking forward to more of the same this year.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Bruins have been on both sides of this a lot over the past twenty years.

There's nothing more exhilarating than winning it, and nothing more traumatic than losing it. I cannot watch a highlight of Scott Walker's 2009 OT goals, haven't seen it since it happened live. Same with Verhaege last spring. Will not let myself look at it, I just want to pretend it didn't happen.

But I watch Nathan Horton's game 7 goal against Montreal a lot and it brings a flood of joy every time, remembering how stoked I was in the moment. Same with Bergeron against the Leafs.

It's the best and worst feeling in the world depending on what side you fall on.

Reactions: Super Fadio Bro

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Johnny Gaudreau finally solving Jake Oettinger was pretty impressive. Took a perfect shot. Oettinger put together one of the best single series performances I've ever seen.

Reactions: Summer Rose

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
That Jets-Oilers first round series was so satisfying (we don't talk about the 2nd round)

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Lol at that thumbnail "4 decades of fries-winners!", makes it sound like an intermission segment where someone shoots from center ice to win a lifetime supply of fries

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Just waiting for one of these to be called back because someone's single pube was offside 15 seconds before the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad