Series Discussion. Round 2: Carolina Hurricanes @ New York Islanders

Who wins series?

• Total voters

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think Carolina peaked and we will get the brooms out again. They pass the puck well for sure, and Pesce and Slavin are solid defensemen. Carolina is going to be super tired and I think the Isles match up well with them, did we ever lose to them this year... this is the team that Greiss owns, and yet he won't see the ice LOL

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think Carolina peaked and we will get the brooms out again. They pass the puck well for sure, and Pesce and Slavin are solid defensemen. Carolina is going to be super tired and I think the Isles match up well with them, did we ever lose to them this year... this is the team that Greiss owns, and yet he won't see the ice LOL

Pretty surprising coming from you. If I remember correctly, the Canes have been one of your dark horse teams for a couple of years now.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
I have my bowling league Friday!! Of course I'll record the game (I usually watch them an hour late anyway to skip the intermissions). So, now I have to avoid seeing the score (and avoid the guys who will be feeding me false info for their own amusement!).

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Pretty surprising coming from you. If I remember correctly, the Canes have been on of your dark horse teams for a couple of years now.

Yes they were my dark horse team in the Peters era, he is a great coach and showed a lot with Calgary. I am down on the Canes more because of the fatigue, mental exhaustion and climax of that series, they have not a won a series since 2009 and the victory of the Caps was their Stanley Cup... the 4th line of the Islanders will really dictate pace in this series. Washington was very poorly coached, losing Trotz and Lambert really hurt them. Felt that Washington also missed Beagle in the series too. Isles are not going to give up the odd man rushes that Washington gave up to Canes. The player that the Isles have to keep a close eye on is Slavin, he was very strong in the Washington series and he also got a hat trick at one time against Isles.

If the Isles were meeting the Canes in the first round, I would have had a different outlook

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I’m still in disbelief we’ll be playing the Canes and we’ll have home ice in the second round. I’m so damn happy. BUT. The Canes are no joke. If there’s one thing I learned from their series with the Caps? They’re resilient and incredibly opportunistic.

That being said.
•We are far more physical than them and that could play into a huge factor for us.
•I have a lot more faith in our goaltending and coaching. We have them beat there.
•Aho looks hurt. Something looks wrong and if he is hurt that’s HUGE.
•Their home crowd is incredible, nearly matching ours.

The thing that actually may worry me the most? We went into the playoffs as the surprise team who couldn’t sustain success and the underdogs against the Penguins. We will be the favorites in this series. That’s unfamiliar territory. BUT. I will not for one second doubt Trotz and having this team prepared. Just hope they don’t take the Canes for granted. That’s a damn good team. LGI.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yes they were my dark horse team in the Peters era, he is a great coach and showed a lot with Calgary. I am down on the Canes more because of the fatigue, mental exhaustion and climax of that series, they have not a won a series since 2009 and the victory of the Caps was their Stanley Cup... the 4th line of the Islanders will really dictate pace in this series. Washington was very poorly coached, losing Trotz and Lambert really hurt them. Felt that Washington also missed Beagle in the series too. Isles are not going to give up the odd man rushes that Washington gave up to Canes. The player that the Isles have to keep a close eye on is Slavin, he was very strong in the Washington series and he also got a hat trick at one time against Isles.

If the Isles were meeting the Canes in the first round, I would have had a different outlook

I too liked Peters as Carolina’s coach. Interestingly, I felt similarly about him as I did about Trotz when he was on Nashville.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I’m still in disbelief we’ll be playing the Canes and we’ll have home ice in the second round. I’m so damn happy. BUT. The Canes are no joke. If there’s one thing I learned from their series with the Caps? They’re resilient and incredibly opportunistic.

That being said.
•We are far more physical than them and that could play into a huge factor for us.
•I have a lot more faith in our goaltending and coaching. We have them beat there.
•Aho looks hurt. Something looks wrong and if he is hurt that’s HUGE.
•Their home crowd is incredible, nearly matching ours.

The thing that actually may worry me the most? We went into the playoffs as the surprise team who couldn’t sustain success and the underdogs against the Penguins. We will be the favorites in this series. That’s unfamiliar territory. BUT. I will not for one second doubt Trotz and having this team prepared. Just hope they don’t take the Canes for granted. That’s a damn good team. LGI.

Well said, a good analysis... this is going to be the series where Anthony Beauvillier becomes a man, beating their defensemen to the corner is going to be a place to get some goals... he will wake up big in this series....

Reactions: Words Of Wisdom

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I too liked Peters as Carolina’s coach. Interestingly, I felt similarly about him as I did about Trotz when he was on Nashville.

Peters is a great coach the genius behind Babcock in Detroit and a guy who got a great regular season performance out of the Flames, but goaltending failed them.

Trotz would get into the playoffs with an Erat/Legwand forward crew every year... Carolina is going to be a steady good team and they will progress, their coach was a smart player for sure, the only way Carolina wins this series if Mrazek starts to play over his head and we can't pot goals

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I like this matchup for us since they’re built in the Pens/Laffs skill mold and not very physical. Grind them down with our defensive game and take advantage of their defensive lapses like we did against the Pens in round one. Special teams shouldn’t be a factor here either since both of our powerplays suck.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Well said, a good analysis... this is going to be the series where Anthony Beauvillier becomes a man, beating their defensemen to the corner is going to be a place to get some goals... he will wake up big in this series....
Wanna know something? I thought he looked awesome in the first round! He was fast, forechecking hard and beating the Pens to the puck and looked ready. Plus he scored a huge goal. I’m super excited. I have this feeling Lee is going to have a huge series.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Wanna know something? I thought he looked awesome in the first round! He was fast, forechecking hard and beating the Pens to the puck and looked ready. Plus he scored a huge goal. I’m super excited. I have this feeling Lee is going to have a huge series.

Lee will do well too because the corner play is going to be big, against their dman and we know CDH is bad in the corners and it seems Faulk is not great there either... Pesce and Slavin will be tougher.

Beau did look awesome but he will look even better in this series, he has had time to reflect on his subpar season and he is a hard working player and Filppula had 4 points in the past series, I see that line being the difference for us in this series. I see Barzal's line struggling with Staal on him.

Reactions: Words Of Wisdom

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I like this matchup for us since they’re built in the Pens/Laffs skill mold and not very physical. Grind them down with our defensive game and take advantage of their defensive lapses like we did against the Pens in round one. Special teams shouldn’t be a factor here either since both of our powerplays suck.

We pretty much got the two teams with the least dirty players in the entire conference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad