SERIES DISCUSSION: Metro Semis | Pens vs. Rangers | There Will Be Blood (Not Theirs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Funny picture of Glass, and I hope the trade never happend to be honest.
But it seems AV's pet from nucks is Glass - so what can you do? :)
come'on zucci. :)
I voted Rangers in 5, but I'm concerned to be honest about this serie - it'll be very hard as usual! :D

LGR! :handclap:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Given the total lack of roster change at forward, I don't like our chances this series.

It was always going to be a long shot, but we've chosen to do everything exactly the same as we did during our epic slide.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Change the Pens logo to the Penguin eyes have X's instead, and a wasp stinging them.

Pens.png

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Given the total lack of roster change at forward, I don't like our chances this series.

It was always going to be a long shot, but we've chosen to do everything exactly the same as we did during our epic slide.

I am quite surprised we watched every player go cold except Sid/Horny yet we keep everyone together. It's just like DB. If it doesn't work, just keep trying it and expecting a different result. Why not?

I forget who it was but they made a good point that Fedo/Talbot weren't originally w/ Geno. Things weren't going our way so we experimented. Sykora was benched. Satan was demoted to the bench or 4th line and had to prove himself (which he did). Dupers was a 4th liner proving himself.

Under DB/MJ... you just keep your damn job. And another poster said it perfectly last night. Chicago, the anti-Pens, showed how it's done last night down 0-3.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I am quite surprised we watched every player go cold except Sid/Horny yet we keep everyone together. It's just like DB. If it doesn't work, just keep trying it and expecting a different result. Why not?

I forget who it was but they made a good point that Fedo/Talbot weren't originally w/ Geno. Things weren't going our way so we experimented. Sykora was benched. Satan was demoted to the bench or 4th line and had to prove himself (which he did). Dupers was a 4th liner proving himself.

Under DB/MJ... you just keep your damn job. And another poster said it perfectly last night. Chicago, the anti-Pens, showed how it's done last night down 0-3.

Question is...do we have the skill needed to have the flexibility that Chicago has? I do agree however. If Kunitz is sucking it up, send out Bennett instead. Send out Downie instead. Send out Comeau instead.

There's lots of things we can do...but you don't want to upset players now do we?

Best thing that could have happened down the stretch was for Kunitz to be a healthy scratch. Now, with the cap being where it was, it's not like a young kid could have stepped in but still, instilling into them right before the playoffs that no job is safe would have been a much needed jolt.

All anyone on that roster knows sans Bennett, is that they will play regardless of their performance.

Thinking about the series as a whole, we can state the obvious of Malkin and Sid having to have a monster series. There's no doubt about that. Fleury has to steal games. No doubt about that either.

One thing that needs to happen though, Downie-Sutter-Bennett needs to click for a few goals here and there. In the first 4 games, 3 goals from that line would help immensely. Spaling-Lappy-Comeau chipping in for 1 or 2 would be huge as well.

Point is, if the bottom 6 can "keep pace" with the scoring...we may have a shot. I think the Rangers offense will steam roll our defense. It's up to our offense to respond. I have doubts about keeping pace...

Last edited:

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
i dont care the status of our team im ****ing ready to go, if we can win game one the whole hockey world starts to bite their tongue

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
i dont care the status of our team im ****ing ready to go, if we can win game one the whole hockey world starts to bite their tongue

The Islanders kicking Washington's butt, Calgary winning their game, the Sens being VERY close...can the Pens shock the world too? We shall see.

Here's the thing. Can we? Yes. Yes we can. This team can choose to "flip the switch" any time it damn well pleases. If this team "WANTS" to...it can demolish the Rangers.

Here's the issue: it will take EVERY player making the decision to play for 60 MINUTES. Historically speaking...that is very unlikely to happen.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i just see no objective reason for optimism. the pens have been playing bad hockey recently, the coaching is suspect, the bottom six is subpar, their defense is soft with most of the good players hurt, they cant score, malkin is clearly hurt, crosby is coming off his worst season and has under a PPG in the playoffs since his concussion, and they have one of the worst playoff goalies in the league.

seems like a recipe for a blowout.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
i just see no objective reason for optimism. the pens have been playing bad hockey recently, the coaching is suspect, the bottom six is subpar, their defense is soft with most of the good players hurt, they cant score, malkin is clearly hurt, crosby is coming off his worst season and has under a PPG in the playoffs since his concussion, and they have one of the worst playoff goalies in the league.

We have gone into pretty much every series in the last half decade as the prohibitive favorites. Every year there is a thread on the main board saying to just give the Pens the cup now, why even play the games. The only series I remember it actually being pretty easy was the Senators one.

I suppose that is reason for some hope.

This team never has come in as universally doubted as this one is. Maybe they respond. I wouldn't mortgage my house on betting on the possibility, but at least there is some basis for not giving up all hope.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Is it true the Pens had the #1 score-adjusted fenwick in the league over the last 25 games?

Heard it on the radio, not sure if I trust it. If true, it's sort of really predictive in the long run.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's one thing to respond. It's another thing entirely to be without your two best defensemen, and having two top six wingers playing like they're already experiencing rigor mortis.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Something that hasn't really been talked about here is the emotional make-up of this team. Do they have any confidence? We're 1-2-1 against the rangers this year. 2 blowout losses, an overtime win, and an overtime loss. If this team can come out and hold their own in the first period, I think it could go a long way for the confidence and the belief that the Rangers can be beaten.

If we go down early, we won't be able to come back.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
The mood around here seems a bit more positive by now. I, for one, just wish for a fun series to watch. Don't expect the Pens to pull this off, I just hope for some entertaining games, the more the merrier.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Hopefully someone with balls actually stands up and says that if we don't get our **** together, more big names will be gone. And if these actually care bout the family environment as we think they do, maybe they do something bout it

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The mood around here seems a bit more positive by now. I, for one, just wish for a fun series to watch. Don't expect the Pens to pull this off, I just hope for some entertaining games, the more the merrier.

Pretty much. I don't think we'll win, or even have a shot at extending the series much, but I would love to see Sid, Geno, Hornqvist, Perron and Fleury play well.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Pretty much. I don't think we'll win, or even have a shot at extending the series much, but I would love to see Sid, Geno, Hornqvist, Perron and Fleury play well.

Geno seems pretty banged up, dunno if we can truly count on him. Please let me be wrong

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

So you're saying there's a chance then? ;)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We've gone through a full thread and the series won't start for another 8+ hours. You guys are addicts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hopefully someone with balls actually stands up and says that if we don't get our **** together, more big names will be gone. And if these actually care bout the family environment as we think they do, maybe they do something bout it

Geno seems pretty banged up, dunno if we can truly count on him. Please let me be wrong

Why is it the "big names" that are in trouble? And who do you mean by big names? Sid, Malkin, Fleury, Letang? What have any of them done to warrant being the scapegoat for a failed series against a powerhouse Rangers team?

Is it any of their faults Kunitz is playing like he's 70 instead of 35? Is it their fault Perron isn't scoring like he did? How about anyone in the bottom six's struggles?

There are lots of people to point the finger at...putting pressure on Sid, Malkin, Fleury, or Letang is not going to help anything at all.

Telling the roster "changes are coming for supporting cast..." may light a fire under Sutter, Downie, Spaling, and Comeau...that may work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad