SERIES DISCUSSION: Metro Semis | Pens vs. Rangers | Pt. 2 - Turn it up to 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So when we left off I think that the suggestion was to do a bit of this to Lundqvist.

nhl_ap_avery_brodeur_200.jpg

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Other than our "core" guys, I think Hornqvist is probably going to be the best playoff type player we have had in a long time. I'm excited to see how he does.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Other than our "core" guys, I think Hornqvist is probably going to be the best playoff type players we have had in a long time. I'm excited to see how he does.

I'm looking forward to see what Downie and Comeau do to get under the Rags' skin

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks for all the info, Doc. Hard for me to look stuff up, I'm basically relegated to audio stuff for all but a few minutes at a time.

Still think this is Rangers in a walk, but I guess I leave more room to "if they can get healthy, maybe..."

Not a problem. I had some tabs open.

Rangers are definitely the favorites. They have the better record, better goaltending (by sv%), better shooting (by sh%), are healthier, and have more depth (even when the Pens are healthy).

The Pens actually have some advantages (in spite of the doom and gloom talk). They have better shot differentials, better special teams (even if the PP is not great), and have Crosby and Malkin.

If the Pens can take advantage of their advantages especially special teams and get a little "lucky" in shooting percentage then the series gets a little more interesting.

What do those stats say about playing without a coach, or coaching staff, for the last half decade?

I don't know or rather the stats don't know either.

PDO is the sum of a team's even strength shooting percentage and even strength save percentage. On average (across teams and players) it measures random variability (or luck) and has a normal range (0.98-1.02 or close to that) over a large number of games. Over a smaller number of games, factors like home/road games, injuries, and SOS play a role. Having a low PDO over a large number of games (see Buffalo) is suggestive of lack of talent and/or coaching issues (line-up and usage, systems, adjustments). Having a high PDO over a large number of games is suggestive of high talent and/or good coaching. (Source 1, Source 2)

In the Pens case, having a low PDO over a small number of games might be injuries. But I still have reservations about Johnston's offensive systems and how they might actually have some responsibility for the lower shooting percentage (which is currently masked by injuries). Looking at Crosby's numbers this year, it seems as though a possibility is there.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
No 87 at the game-day skate, when he said he feels particularly healthy going into this post season, just one day ago? ???

Something doesn't make sense here...

Yeah. I don't want to read into it too deeply, but you've got 20 guys on the ice and the cptn is absent? If he's trying to lead by example, he's doing it wrong. Then again, it may just be nothing. But playoffs, so drama. :laugh:

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
From the NYR GDT:

@HartnettHockey: #Penguins have a sign in their dressing room with the words: HUNT and the Rangers logo next to it.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Yeah. I don't want to read into it too deeply, but you've got 20 guys on the ice and the cptn is absent? If he's trying to lead by example, he's doing it wrong. Then again, it may just be nothing. But playoffs, so drama. :laugh:

I agree -- don't wish to stir up any unnecessary drama. I guess my thoughts simply are that if we knew Crosby was nursing a minor injury, then him sitting out the optional skate would make sense. Sort of like, if Malkin took off the game day skate today, that would make sense. But it seems odd to proclaim yourself to be feeling real good, and then the next day skip the game day skate...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

So, Sid wasn't the only one who opted not to skate. He did speak to the media, though.

Also, this ...

Last edited:

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012

So it looks like several beat writers conveniently left out the fact that 3 others are also missing.

I feel better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad