SERIES DISCUSSION: Eastern Conference Finals | Pens vs. Lightning | Series tied 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nice post Jaded, those shots are sure mounting up and in theory they are going to rack up a score or two

No Bishop or Stamkos tonight... already feels like a must win
Though to note neither side has lost back to back games this entire playoff season

If you look at the video that I linked you see what has been lacking. The Pens are simply missing on those passes that used to be made like clockwork. Far too often. The first man is getting beaten to the puck, they are missing on those passes, and it all falls apart. They were far better game two, getting Maatta out helped a lot. Schultz was Bobby Orr in comparison.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Its really not a freedom of speech thing in any way. They are a business and have set a dress code simple as that. Same thing as a bar saying no backwards hats, sleeveless shirts or gang colors or when diners are asked to wear a jacket and tie at a nice restaurant.

Do i think its a dick move by a team that is trying to create the illusion that there is a stronger home fan base in a city full of northern transplants? Yes i do. Is there anything legally dubious about it? No.

Publicly funded locations have in the past had different issues with freedom of speech stuff. it wouldnt be a stretch to tie publicly funded stadiums to that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Hopefully the floodgates burst open with Sid's OT goal. We're gonna need consistent and substantial contributions from those two moving forward.

We have to take advantage of the absence of Stamkos and Bishop while it lasts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you look at the video that I linked you see what has been lacking. The Pens are simply missing on those passes that used to be made like clockwork. Far too often. The first man is getting beaten to the puck, they are missing on those passes, and it all falls apart. They were far better game two, getting Maatta out helped a lot. Schultz was Bobby Orr in comparison.

This series is different from the other two in that regard. No matter how much the Caps or Rags pressured us it seemed like we could make the passes. This series, it's like the puck refuses to settle down. Those short passes are going into feet or 10ft ahead. We absolutely need to tighten up our passing.

What's in those tweets? Doesn't show up on my browser.

Vasilevskiy is 1-0-1 in this series. So apparently he lost in the shootout that we all missed. (Yes, I know OT Loss but that's meaningless in the playoffs). Just funny.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This series is different from the other two in that regard. No matter how much the Caps or Rags pressured us it seemed like we could make the passes. This series, it's like the puck refuses to settle down. Those short passes are going into feet or 10ft ahead. We absolutely need to tighten up our passing.

Vasilevskiy is 1-0-1 in this series. So apparently he lost in the shootout that we all missed. (Yes, I know OT Loss but that's meaningless in the playoffs). Just funny.

Not just the playoffs, but since March 1st, over 30 games, that has been the bread and butter of the Pens. Making those passes. Intuitively knowing where to go, where the outlet pass is and that player being there to receive it, working as a unit. It was a complete cluster**** the first game. Mostly what I noticed was that the first Pens player whose job it was to beat the TB player to the puck .... didn't. It all broke down from there. Game two was much much better, and Schultz for Maatta helped.

But yes the Pens can do much much better, are used to doing much much better. I expect that they will.

Some credit to TB for it not working, but mostly it is the Pens being outworked, especially in game one, and that is fixable.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Yeah that will be the challenge. I think Tampa plays a good checking game through the neutral zone and in their own zone for the most part too. They have good sticks and their D are just in the way being so big. Sustr looked like old school Hal Gill last game. You watch him and you're not really sure how he gets there but he does, just barely.

I think the challenge for Tampa will be playing that responsible game but getting enough offense in the process. They have a good amount of talent even with Stamkos out and can score all of a sudden, but we'll see if they can press enough to maximize the talent they have.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not just the playoffs, but since March 1st, over 30 games, that has been the bread and butter of the Pens. Making those passes. Intuitively knowing where to go, where the outlet pass is and that player being there to receive it, working as a unit. It was a complete cluster**** the first game. Mostly what I noticed was that the first Pens player whose job it was to beat the TB player to the puck .... didn't. It all broke down from there. Game two was much much better, and Schultz for Maatta helped.

But yes the Pens can do much much better, are used to doing much much better. I expect that they will.

Some credit to TB for it not working, but mostly it is the Pens being outworked, especially in game one, and that is fixable.

Agreed. It's frustrating because for the first 15 minutes of that first period, Tampa Bay and their fans got a taste of what the Penguins can do to them if they play the way they can play. When we are on our game, there's no stopping them. They are too fast and too deep for any team to handle...but they have to get into that groove and not take their foot off the gas.

We are simply a better team than what's been shown in Games 1 and 2. Sullivan has to keep their heads in it and the leaders need to lead. Too many lazy shift for vets lately. Sid and Geno need to be going balls out every shift. If not scoring, it at least communicates that effort is mandatory.

When it became Kunitz-Crosby-Horny, I just wanted effort. Horny always gives the effort, Kunitz and Crosby though I bet didn't even break a sweat through 45 minutes of that game. I screamed at the TV several times telling them to hustle only to watch Kunitz give 2 strides then glide as the Tampa player was off to the races the other way. I just want effort. Didn't even want or expect pressure or scoring chances...I just wanted them to at least APPEAR to skate hard. Then I would have been okay with it. Now, to their credit they did skate decent and it did lead to chances.

My hope is that Malkin gets Rust or Sheary or someone that can provide that same jolt of energy that Sheary gave to Sid. Now that Sid has the weight lifted, it's time to get Malkin going. Tell ya what, if Sid is rejuvinated a little and we find something that sparks Malkin...in addition to two fantastic bottom 6 lines...Lightning will have their hands full.

With that, I hope Sundqvist is in over Sheary. Tampa's defense is massive and I think Sundy will work better at forechecking than Sheary.

Kun-Sid-Horn
Hags-Bones-Phil
Sundy-Malkin-Rust
Kuhn-Cully-Fehr

please.

Would help if his "even strength"shifts werent 3 on 5.

Ain't that the truth.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
genuinely not sure why tb needs to give daily updates on a guy that will extremely obviously not be playing this year

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
genuinely not sure why tb needs to give daily updates on a guy that will extremely obviously not be playing this year

Star player. Think about how many times "No time table on Crosby's return" was said.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malkin is obviously not 100 percent yet. He came back earlier than anyone expected. He also has had Kunitz strapped to his back, because God forbid you bench a guy with such God like corsi numbers, he holds the puck forever then falls on his face whiffing on the shot.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
So, we know now that Sheary is playing through an injury, looks like Kuhnhackl is, too ...

TBH, Kuhnhackl has seemed fine. It might be something new, though. Sheary, on the other hand hasn't. If HCMS is going to put Kunitz back with Sid, then now would be the time to play Sundqvist and sit Sheary. Or roll with 7D.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If they are going to use Sid as a glorified checking line to hold TB's triplets in check, maybe Kunitz with him is not the end of the world.

I also think that if the Pens steal game three this series will go 6 games and the Pens have it. They need to come out strong tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad