Sergei Bobrovsky

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Checking out some stats and has there ever been a goalie or maybe even player with a worse playoff history then him for someone who has won a Hart or Vezina Trophy? "Bob" has 2 Vezina's and has a stout 5-14 record with a 3.49 GAA and .891 Save %. in playoff competition.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
so he was pulled a few times

Including the most recent NHL game to feature three NHL goaltenders for one team (Carey, Kolzig, Dafoe).

Carey, of course, faced the Penguins in both of his playoffs and they had very high shooting percentages (25% and 29.8% above league average), so you'd expect Carey's save percentage to suffer some. But still.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Speaking of Carey, now that making the playoffs no longer seems to be a necessary condition to winning the Norris or the Vezina (though it still is for the Hart), does he still win the Vezina if the voters voted in 1996 like they do in 2018? Hasek and Brodeur were both better on teams that missed the playoffs, right?

I remember way back when thinking that Puppa should have won in 1996... what a weird season for goaltending.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I can't think of any Hart winners with playoff careers nearly as bad as Bobrovsky or Carey.

Off the top of my head:

Nels Stewart was terrible in the playoffs after his rookie year. But he was best playoff performer on the Cup winner his rookie year.
Roy Worters never won a full playoff series in his career, but I think that says at least as much about his team as it does about him.
Milt Schmidt's playoff stats aren't very good, but they are better than these goalies, plus he was excellent defensively, including in the playoffs.
Andy Bathgate might be the best answer here, but his playoff stats are merely bad, not pathetic, and he did have the detriment of basically zero team depth for most of his career.
Joe Thornton's had some decent moments in an overall weak playoff career, more than you can say of those two goalies.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Remind me... how did that even happen?

Good question - the Capitals were trying to close out Pittsburgh in Game Six, but Carey gave up goals to Murphy and Jagr, making it 2-0 just 3:37 into the game.

Enter Kolzig, who stopped all five shots he faced but made it less than six minutes before suffering torn cartilage in his right knee stopping a Chris Joseph shot.

So Carey came back in and got the game to 4-0 by the end of the period, and 6-0 by the end of the second. Carey was then "injured" which allowed Dafoe to come in - Byron allowed a Tomas Sandstrom goal on the first shot he faced, but stopped the other two in a 7-1 loss.

All three goalies were technically rookies as well.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Good question - the Capitals were trying to close out Pittsburgh in Game Six, but Carey gave up goals to Murphy and Jagr, making it 2-0 just 3:37 into the game.

Enter Kolzig, who stopped all five shots he faced but made it less than six minutes before suffering torn cartilage in his right knee stopping a Chris Joseph shot.

So Carey came back in and got the game to 4-0 by the end of the period, and 6-0 by the end of the second. Carey was then "injured" which allowed Dafoe to come in - Byron allowed a Tomas Sandstrom goal on the first shot he faced, but stopped the other two in a 7-1 loss.

But how did they have all three goalies in the lineup?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under

What a game! What a travesty regarding me being a Penguins fan allready then but having no chance to actually watch any of the games. Besides the text on the back of hockey cards i got it through swedish hockey magazine Pro Hockey instead with up to four weeks lag going on. I now also know that magazine sucked and still does. It reeks of amateur hockey writers, like a childhood comic book. But at the time it did the works on me to start Idolize players.

Last edited:
Reactions: GB

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Carey was the biggest flake in nhl history anyway. He was virtually unbeatable from 1994-96, and then immediately fell off the face of the Earth and is out of the league just like that. Definitely the oddest goaltending career in league history. There can't have been someone with a higher peak who disappeared just as quickly as he exploded onto the scene. Every time Carey is brought up I just chuckle.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Bob will likely be the only two time Vezina winner not to be inducted into the HHOF.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I can't think of any Hart winners with playoff careers nearly as bad as Bobrovsky or Carey.

Off the top of my head:

Nels Stewart was terrible in the playoffs after his rookie year. But he was best playoff performer on the Cup winner his rookie year.
Roy Worters never won a full playoff series in his career, but I think that says at least as much about his team as it does about him.
Milt Schmidt's playoff stats aren't very good, but they are better than these goalies, plus he was excellent defensively, including in the playoffs.
Andy Bathgate might be the best answer here, but his playoff stats are merely bad, not pathetic, and he did have the detriment of basically zero team depth for most of his career.
Joe Thornton's had some decent moments in an overall weak playoff career, more than you can say of those two goalies.

disagree on Schmidt, for the time his numbers are good.

he led the playoffs in scoring in '41 with 11 in 11 (certainly a Smythe win if it existed then) and followed it up with 8 in 10 in '46

Dont forget Schmidt missed 4 years of his prime (ages 23-26) because he was busy fighting Nazis.

The war years ended what could've been a Bruins dynasty in the 40s. They won in 39 and 41, then lost their entire top line and the best goalie in hockey to the war effort in Schmidt, Dumart, Bauer and Brimsek in '42. Thats 4 hall of famers gone at once, and all in their primes ages 22, 24, 25, 26.

They had a 20-12-5 record at the time and looked on their way to repeating.

Basically, if not for the War Schmidt adds to his 2 Cups and has 2-4 more deep playoff runs as the best player on the team on his resume

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bob will likely be the only two time Vezina winner not to be inducted into the HHOF.

8460703.jpg

Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad