Proposal: Sergei Bobrovsky Trade

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
So, I know I probably turned everyone off with the title but really what if we could mine some gold by taking on some of his contract? He still is serviceable (2.91 with a .906) and goalies are so unpredictable, he may just get back to his old self. With our salary structure over the next few years we may be able to take it on and improve the team quite a bit with some prospects from Florida. We won't let them off the hook completely for their insane contract they gave Bob but how about this trade:

Florida gets: Frans Nielsen and our last 3rd round this year

Detroit gets: Anton Lundell, Aleksi Heponiemi, and Max Gildon with Bobrovsky (see contract below)

Detroit will pay Bob the following:

$10M 2021-22 (Due to Florida taking on Nielsen $5.25 we are only really paying $4.75M)

$5.5M 2022 - 2026 (Florida will pay $4.5M per through 2026)

This gives us a possible super star in Lundell, an experienced NHL player in Heponiemi, and a highly rated LHD in Gildon. (I wanted to switch out Gildon for Justin Sourdif but might have been too much)

The hope here is Bob regains his form but at the wrong end of the deal, he is a quality back up. Our team is getting young and we don't see much in salary increases in the near future (worst being $5-$6M players in Vrana and Bert) so Bobrovsky won't hinder us in doing business, IMO, while we grow into a playoff contender.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So, I know I probably turned everyone off with the title but really what if we could mine some gold by taking on some of his contract? He still is serviceable (2.91 with a .906) and goalies are so unpredictable, he may just get back to his old self. With our salary structure over the next few years we may be able to take it on and improve the team quite a bit with some prospects from Florida. We won't let them off the hook completely for their insane contract they gave Bob but how about this trade:

Detroit gets: Anton Lundell, Aleksi Heponiemi, and Max Gildon with Bobrovsky (see contract below)

$10M 2021-22 (Due to Florida taking on Nielsen $5.25 we are only really paying $4.75M)

This gives us a possible super star in Lundell, an experienced NHL player in Heponiemi, and a highly rated LHD in Gildon. (I wanted to switch out Gildon for Justin Sourdif but might have been too much)

The hope here is Bob regains his form but at the wrong end of the deal, he is a quality back up. Our team is getting young and we don't see much in salary increases in the near future (worst being $5-$6M players in Vrana and Bert) so Bobrovsky won't hinder us in doing business, IMO, while we grow into a playoff contender.

I don't know that Lundell will be available for a deal of this sort. Moving a cost controlled center with nice upside to move out Bob to have the cap space to what? Spend money to get players that Lundell looks to be trending toward being?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yes... the defense prospect is what is too much here... that's really the worry.

Florida doesn't consider this trade for one millisecond. This is the kind of offer that gets your number blocked.

But also, you can't selectively retain, so that's #1.

Think about it this way if your original offer would work... Would Tampa accept a pick at the end of the 3rd round to get out of Tyler Johnson's contract and also give Anthony Cirelli for the privilege? That's the price you're looking at here.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
The thinking here is they need to sign a lot of players and they want to keep some UFA they have so we are one of the few teams that could take on the money they will need to solve with the Bob trade. I used $5.5M but could have said $7M which I might still do for Lundell and Aleksi Heponiemi being involved. Yes, Lundell would be hard for them to trade but they made the mistake of signing Bob, we didn't so we should be the one's who benefit the most. Just throwing an idea out there. What do you think a reasonable deal would be?

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
But also, you can't selectively retain, so that's #1.

Did not know that portion of the salary take on. Makes sense so lets call it $6.5M through 2026

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
The thinking here is they need to sign a lot of players and they want to keep some UFA they have so we are one of the few teams that could take on the money they will need to solve with the Bob trade. I used $5.5M but could have said $7M which I might still do for Lundell and Aleksi Heponiemi being involved. Yes, Lundell would be hard for them to trade but they made the mistake of signing Bob, we didn't so we should be the one's who benefit the most. Just throwing an idea out there. What do you think a reasonable deal would be?

If I'm Florida I don't sell the farm to move Bob when he could easily bounce back (like you said) and you have Knight on an ELC to balance him out. I'd look to move Yandle and/or Stralman, one of which could be a good fit for us as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If I'm Florida I don't sell the farm to move Bob when he could easily bounce back (like you said) and you have Knight on an ELC to balance him out. I'd look to move Yandle and/or Stralman, one of which could be a good fit for us as well.
Except Yandle has a NMC and Stralman a limited NTC. Plus Stralman's contract expires at the end of the season so there's no point in eating assets to get rid of him.

Best course of action here is to try to outbid them for Barkov. There's no indication he wants to leave, but he's UFA so you can always make him an offer.

Edit: I just noticed Bob also has a NMC so this whole thread is moot

Reactions: rkwittem

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Except Yandle has a NMC and Stralman a limited NTC. Plus Stralman's contract expires at the end of the season so there's no point in eating assets to get rid of him.

Best course of action here is to try to outbid them for Barkov. There's no indication he wants to leave, but he's UFA so you can always make him an offer.

Edit: I just noticed Bob also has a NMC so this whole thread is moot

Marc Staal had 1 year left on his deal and a NMC.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Marc Staal had 1 year left on his deal and a NMC.
It was a partial NTC, and they obviously found the loophole. I wouldn't count on contracts having loopholes.

Also, NYR wanted the cap space, I don't see Florida needing any. Good chance Ekblad goes on LTIR at the beginning of the season. That injury was ugly.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Florida will be happy to sit on Bob for the time being. Knight is knocking at the door, no doubt, but he still has a lot to prove before they jettison their starter.

A Knight/Bob tandem is going to be feasible for a few years financially. After that they can try to move Bob if desired when his contract has less cash and years remaining. And if he's unhappy being a backup that NMC gets easier to negotiate.

Driedger and a few of Duclair, Bennett, Montour, and Gusev are going to be the cap casualties for the Panthers.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
It was a partial NTC, and they obviously found the loophole. I wouldn't count on contracts having loopholes.

Also, NYR wanted the cap space, I don't see Florida needing any. Good chance Ekblad goes on LTIR at the beginning of the season. That injury was ugly.

Hmm, Capfriendly has Staal with a NMC and Stralman with a M-NTC (16 team list).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hmm, Capfriendly has Staal with a NMC and Stralman with a M-NTC (16 team list).
Yes, I said Stralman has a limited NTC. It's more than likely that the Wings are on most NTC lists because we suck.

As for Staal, there was a loophole in his contract. Nobody wanted to get into the details, including Yzerman.
Brad Galli on Twitter: "Steve Yzerman said Marc Staal's no-movement clause "didn't apply in this case." "I really don't care to and won't elaborate on. He was eligible to be traded," he added." / Twitter

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They're not going to retain 4M on Brobrovsky for 5 years AND give us Lundell AND a couple other pieces. That's just not going to happen.

Bob with retention is basically just Jordan Binnington level. You'd have to actually give something in that scenario.

They'll hang onto him at least another year before they are forced to make a bigger decision.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bob with retention is basically just Jordan Binnington level. You'd have to actually give something in that scenario.

They'll hang onto him at least another year before they are forced to make a bigger decision.
Agree, and if there's no loophole in the NMC, they're looking at one ugly buyout:

Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
florida_panthers.svg
FLA)
2022-23$6,000,000$10,000,000$6,000,000$1,750,000$7,750,000$4,250,000$5,750,000
2023-24$5,000,000$10,000,000$5,000,000$1,750,000$6,750,000$3,250,000$6,750,000
2024-25$5,000,000$10,000,000$1,500,000$1,750,000$3,250,000$3,250,000$6,750,000
2025-26$5,000,000$10,000,000$1,000,000$1,750,000$2,750,000$3,250,000$6,750,000
2026-27$0$0$0$1,750,000$1,750,000-$1,750,000$1,750,000
2027-28$0$0$0$1,750,000$1,750,000-$1,750,000$1,750,000
2028-29$0$0$0$1,750,000$1,750,000-$1,750,000$1,750,000
2029-30$0$0$0$1,750,000$1,750,000-$1,750,000$1,750,000
TOTAL$21,000,000$40,000,000$13,500,000$14,000,000$27,500,000$7,000,000$33,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

It seems to me that Florida is paying way too much here. I don't think there's any way they do this trade as written. I'd take on the Bob contract without any retention for that package. I think I'd even do something like:
Bobs + Lundell + Gildon for a 2021 3rd
I don't think I'd do it for less than that because Bob's contract is really bad. There's a good chance that if we took it at full value by its end it presents a real problem for us. Thus we do need the really great prospect Lundell coming back to make it worthwhile.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It seems to me that Florida is paying way too much here. I don't think there's any way they do this trade as written. I'd take on the Bob contract without any retention for that package. I think I'd even do something like:
Bobs + Lundell + Gildon for a 2021 3rd
I don't think I'd do it for less than that because Bob's contract is really bad. There's a good chance that if we took it at full value by its end it presents a real problem for us. Thus we do need the really great prospect Lundell coming back to make it worthwhile.

Right and Florida is not going to deal anywhere near that. They deal the guys like Yandle first. I think Driedger goes elsewhere in UFA, so Florida is not rushing to pay a buttload to dump Bobrovsky. Just like Bench was saying.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think Driedger goes elsewhere in UFA, so Florida is not rushing to pay a buttload to dump Bobrovsky.

He was my pick to take a gamble on overpaying a bit in UFA to see if he can turn into a full blown starter. But alas, Bernier won me over with his play and attitude, so I'm not too fussed about it now.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm just trying to figure out why any team would eat Bob's $10M salary and cap when they can just offer the same money to Barkov next summer?

I also see no reason for Bob to waive his NMC clause unless he's guaranteed a buyout from the team he's traded to. That buyout is ugly though, I'd still rather sign Barkov at $10M even if Lundell was included in that trade.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm just trying to figure out why any team would eat Bob's $10M salary and cap when they can just offer the same money to Barkov next summer?

I also see no reason for Bob to waive his NMC clause unless he's guaranteed a buyout from the team he's traded to. That buyout is ugly though, I'd still rather sign Barkov at $10M even if Lundell was included in that trade.

1. A team might eat the money for the return, if they have no chance at Barkov.

2. Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad