Speculation: Serge Savard:We need to get bigger

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Serge Savard was awful at the draft. Always the big guy drafted and an atrocious list of wasted first round picks wasted.

He has not much to teach anyone regarding the draft.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
Ottawa has lost their mojo. We're dancing around them. We still need to get bigger.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
you can't change everything in one season. We improved in that aspect with Prust and co. We're much better in that aspect than we were last year.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Would have been nice to have big, physical dmen on that last goal...hmmm?

There will be complaining...........then they will forget........then they will be back to admiring the undersized players that we draft year in and year out.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
There will be complaining...........then they will forget........then they will be back to admiring the undersized players that we draft year in and year out.

It's so apparent that we need more size and muscle ESPECIALLY ON THE BACK END...and here we are...

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
The need to overhaul the defense is clear.

Going into next year, its Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Markov (tho i wouldnt be adverse to having him leave either) is where it starts.

They need another minute eating physical defenseman to go along with Subban.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
We need a big crease-clearing defenseman. The thing which worries is that Bouillon was extended and there's no way he's sitting with MT coaching this team. So now we're stuck with the same defense for next year, pretty much, unless Gorges can somehow be shipped out. With Beaulieu in the system, as well, another offensive d-man, I'm not sure how much more physical this defensive squad will be.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That man is a genius...I mean, no one ever thought of that.

Why all the crapping on Serge Savard? He's one of most brilliant hockey minds and businessmen in the country. Savard's made a fortune in real estate and horse racing. I heard an interview he did a few years ago. He said he paid $4,000 for a colt. It won little brown jug, he was making $400,000 a month off the horse, for year and a half. Then he sold half its stud rights for 2 million. He was involved with lotto Quebec at one point. He has a resort in Cuba, Marriot Chateau Champlain in Montreal he owns. PEI Rocket is his. Among other investments.

Very generous in philanthropy. Does tons of volunteer work, was involved with arthritis society in Quebec. He transformed his career at 22 to become one of best defensive defensemen to play the game. Guided Habs to 2 cups, only GM ever to win first round of playoffs 10 straight years.

HockeyNymphomaniac*

Need someone to park in front of their goalie and put in the ugly goals/rebounds. I think JVR would be great for the us, but my husband is from Toronto and says we'd have to give up Subban.. :(

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Forget just big what we need is one or two big mean SOB. The sens spent the last night targeting the knees of our key players but did somebody do anything about it. We get push around because when somebody take out one of our guys we never get blood back. Am not talking about fighting am talking about when they take one of ours out we take one of them out. In the NHL nothing is safer than taking out an Habs and the word got around. To fix that will require that a few guys get their hands dirty. Otherwise Galchenyuk and Gallagher are next.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Look at Hamilton. With the exception of Quailer (Vail probably will not make an impact), all of our forwards are undersized and not physical players.
So... you say TT did nothing and we should look at Hamilton. I then show you that Hamilton won the Calder cup four years after hiring him. Those players then went to the NHL... but you say we've failed at the NHL level?

Okay, let's look at the NHL.

This year we have ROY candidate Gallagher. We have Norris candidate Subban. We've got 30 goal scorer Max Pacciorretty and all-star goalie Carey Price. ALL products of TT, all 25 or younger.

Galchenyuk (who was too good to even go to Hamilton) was among the best rookies of the year and actually led the rookies in 5 on 5 scoring. On top of this, TT drafted McDonnaugh who we stupidly gave away.

And you see this as being.... bad? Come on man.

And they came from the BPA mold. And they were outplayed physically all season.
So it's TT's fault that we gave away a bunch of players for nothing and then traded for Gomez? It's TT's fault that we signed Gionta and Cammy and then gave Cammy away? I mean come on dude... you are being stupid here.

The team just took a huge step forward this year and most of the credit should go to TT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad