Value of: Sergachev to New Jersey

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
New Jersey could really use Sergachev in their lineup. What would it cost to acquire him via trade?

Devils could also attempt an offer sheet in the $4,227,438 - $6,341,152 bracket which is a 2021 1st and 3rd round pick as compensation.

I still think a trade is the better route. Would likely be better for both New Jersey and Tampa Bay.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
New Jersey could really use Sergachev in their lineup. What would it cost to acquire him via trade?

Devils could also attempt an offer sheet in the $4,227,438 - $6,341,152 bracket which is a 2021 1st and 3rd round pick as compensation.

I still think a trade is the better route. Would likely be better for both New Jersey and Tampa Bay.

Sergachev would look great on lots of bluelines. Why would Tampa want to trade him?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The offer is Ty Smith + Az or Van 1st. It's the only offer that could conceivably make sense for TB from the devils, and we have been through that offer for both devils fans and TB fans. I Think it's a solid offer, but obviously TB isn't going to be trying to trade him if they can help it and there's no guarantee that Smith is stepping into the line up right away for them.

I'd rather take a swing at Cernak because I think that's more feasible.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
Sergachev would look great on lots of bluelines. Why would Tampa want to trade him?

If I'm Tampa I'm finding every way possible to sign him, but at some point they might realize it's just not possible and they might be forced to make a decision between him and Cirelli.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
The offer is Ty Smith + Az or Van 1st. It's the only offer that could conceivably make sense for TB from the devils, and we have been through that offer for both devils fans and TB fans. I Think it's a solid offer, but obviously TB isn't going to be trying to trade him if they can help it and there's no guarantee that Smith is stepping into the line up right away for them.

I'd rather take a swing at Cernak because I think that's more feasible.

Cernak would be a good option for New Jersey as well. What would the cost on him be?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Offer sheet is 8m to squeeze TBL not 6m. NJD cannot do this without their 2nd. You may cost TBL Cirelli by offering 6m to Serge as Col says ty and scoops up Cirelli but all it accomplishes. Smith and AZ 1st (assuming ARI loses) is a fair offer but as far as TBL options way way way down on the list.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I don't think trading Sergachev is their first option, but Tampa is in a tight spot with the salary cap. I'm sure they'll explore moving some other guys first, but a couple guys would need to be moved and even then fitting Sergachev/Cirelli's next deals will be tight.

It's a little similar to how they ended up with Sergachev in the first place as they had a salary cap / expansion draft dilemma with Jonathan Drouin. There could be value in swapping a contract for a guy on an ELC; Free up cap space and free up a protection spot. That said, if it were Tampa I'd do all I could to keep Sergachev.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I don't think trading Sergachev is their first option, but Tampa is in a tight spot with the salary cap. I'm sure they'll explore moving some other guys first, but a couple guys would need to be moved and even then fitting Sergachev/Cirelli's next deals will be tight.

It's a little similar to how they ended up with Sergachev in the first place as they had a salary cap / expansion draft dilemma with Jonathan Drouin. There could be value in swapping a contract for a guy on an ELC; Free up cap space and free up a protection spot. That said, if it were Tampa I'd do all I could to keep Sergachev.

The offseason TBL traded Drouin it was clear they did not have the defense to win a cup. So they acquired Girardi, got the worst defense forward off the roster in Drouin and added Serge. Props to Yzerman as he was playing chess while other are playing checkers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Provorov signed for 6 years at $6.5 mill per.

If you drop the offer by 1 year to go 5 years for $31.5 mill that gives you an AAV of $6.3 mill keeping the compensation to your offer. And you might as well because the maximum the denominator used to calculate AAV is 5. So a 6-7 year OS is still divided by 5.

If there was any year to put out an OS this would be the year with a flat cap.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The offseason TBL traded Drouin it was clear they did not have the defense to win a cup. So they acquired Girardi, got the worst defense forward off the roster in Drouin and added Serge. Props to Yzerman as he was playing chess while other are playing checkers.

You’re dead wrong. Yzeman himself said that Drouin was a cap casualty and he was looking for a young D-man who didn’t require protection in the expansion draft. Tampa Bay were already a top team and their window was wide open. They just needed someone who didn’t require protection.

Also, they were not sure if he was going to be NHL ready the next year. He took a chance on Sergachev and it paid out.

Also, in 2016, one year before the trade, Tampa Bay were one game (two goals) away from a SCF appearance. They were a pretty good team when they traded Drouin (14 pts in 17 games).

"There's a lot of things we liked that suited us in making a deal for Mikhail Sergachev," Yzerman said Thursday evening on a conference call with reporters. "The biggest reason was we were getting a young defenseman that's going to have an impact in the NHL for a long time. Whether that's this year or two years from now, time will tell, but I think he's going to be a good player in the league for a long time."

"Had we acquired a D-man that needed to be protected, it would have required us…reacting in some way to protect the players we wanted to," Yzerman said. "That did have some more appeal to us in making this trade."

Lightning acquire standout defenseman in Mikhail Sergachev

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
You’re dead wrong. Yzeman himself said that Drouin was a cap casualty and he was looking for a young D-man who didn’t require protection in the expansion draft. Tampa Bay were already a top team and their window was wide open. They just needed someone who didn’t require protection.

Also, they were not sure if he was going to be NHL ready the next year. He took a chance on Sergachev and it paid out.

Also, in 2016, one year before the trade, Tampa Bay were one game (two goals) away from a SCF appearance. They were a pretty good team when they traded Drouin (14 pts in 17 games).

"There's a lot of things we liked that suited us in making a deal for Mikhail Sergachev," Yzerman said Thursday evening on a conference call with reporters. "The biggest reason was we were getting a young defenseman that's going to have an impact in the NHL for a long time. Whether that's this year or two years from now, time will tell, but I think he's going to be a good player in the league for a long time."

"Had we acquired a D-man that needed to be protected, it would have required us…reacting in some way to protect the players we wanted to," Yzerman said. "That did have some more appeal to us in making this trade."

Lightning acquire standout defenseman in Mikhail Sergachev
Do you really think Yzerman was going to state Drouin just suxs and we are so happy to trade him in division because we know he is overrated. Do you really think if Yzerman thought Drouin was going to be say Johnny Hockey he would have EVER traded him in division? Its 3 years later and people still have not figured out how many moves ahead Yzerman was ahead of everyone.

TBL was a very good but flawed team. Their defense was not good enough to win a cup. 2016-2017 they had Hedman, Coburn, Stralman, and Sustr and a bunch of no 7 d-men.

2017-18 They added Cirelli and Sergachev in off season and then traded for Ryan Mc at the deadline as their D was overturned. Coburn got moved down from top 4 to bottom pairing. Yzerman knew defense wins in playoffs. The only flaw you can come up with Yzerman is you would have liked a great leader in the locker room that the team wouldn't fold like a cheap suit when pressure comes.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Do you really think Yzerman was going to state Drouin just suxs and we are so happy to trade him in division because we know he is overrated. Do you really think if Yzerman thought Drouin was going to be say Johnny Hockey he would have EVER traded him in division? Its 3 years later and people still have not figured out how many moves ahead Yzerman was ahead of everyone.

TBL was a very good but flawed team. Their defense was not good enough to win a cup. 2016-2017 they had Hedman, Coburn, Stralman, and Sustr and a bunch of no 7 d-men.

2017-18 They added Cirelli and Sergachev in off season and then traded for Ryan Mc at the deadline as their D was overturned. Coburn got moved down from top 4 to bottom pairing. Yzerman knew defense wins in playoffs. The only flaw you can come up with Yzerman is you would have liked a great leader in the locker room that the team wouldn't fold like a cheap suit when pressure comes.

Doesn’t matter what Yzeman thought. He was looking for something specific (young ED exempt D-man). Montreal was willing to offer that. When you get what you want, you don’t care where Drouin was going to end up.

Reactions: WoodsyToast3791

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Of course you care when you are trading in division. And I get it. MTL offer was best offer to take. He knew TBL had to get better defensively and subtracting your worse defensive forward is a big step to do that. And Yzerman was confident enough Drouin was not going to be a star. Yzerman easily could have traded Palat or Johnson for picks and kept the "potential" of Drouin. He saw the defensive flaws, he saw Drouin's whining and traded him instead.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Of course you care when you are trading in division. And I get it. MTL offer was best offer to take. He knew TBL had to get better defensively and subtracting your worse defensive forward is a big step to do that. And Yzerman was confident enough Drouin was not going to be a star. Yzerman easily could have traded Palat or Johnson for picks and kept the "potential" of Drouin. He saw the defensive flaws, he saw Drouin's whining and traded him instead.

Come on. Drouin was 19/20 when he put up 14 points in 17 playoff games. The next season (21 years old) he had 53 points in 73 games.

You can also see at the time of the trade, lots of Tampa Fan had mix feelings about the trade because of the skillset Drouin possesses - or had the potential to and showed flashes of greatness.

Obviously Sergachev developed into a good top 4 at 21 and Drouin never really reached his potential and turned out to plateau at an average top 6 player. Right now the trade looks bad for Bergevin but to say Drouin at the time never could have turned into a PPG/Superstar is laughable.

Confirmed with Link: - [MTL/TB] Sergachev + cond. 2nd (2018) for Drouin + cond. 6th

Reactions: WoodsyToast3791

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Come on. Drouin was 19/20 when he put up 14 points in 17 playoff games. The next season (21 years old) he had 53 points in 73 games.

You can also see at the time of the trade, lots of Tampa Fan had mix feelings about the trade because of the skillset Drouin possesses - or had the potential to and showed flashes of greatness.

Obviously Sergachev developed into a good top 4 at 21 and Drouin never really reached his potential and turned out to plateau at an average top 6 player. Right now the trade looks bad for Bergevin but to say Drouin at the time never could have turned into a PPG/Superstar is laughable.

Confirmed with Link: - [MTL/TB] Sergachev + cond. 2nd (2018) for Drouin + cond. 6th

Do you really think if Yzerman thought Drouin was going to develop into an 80 point player he would have traded in division. COME ON

If Yzerman thought Drouin was going to be a 80 point player why was there been trade rumors of Drouin for 2 years? COME ON

Don't you have to give Yzerman a little credit for keeping Palat and T Johnson in ED and trading Drouin? COME ON
The safe easy gm move would be to trade Palat for picks and then decide either trade picks to Vegas for a d-man or sign Girardi.

Do you think a team that added 3 players on defense by sheer coincidence traded awaits worse defensive forward top 9? COME ON

Was TBL fan upset at the time? YEP

Was MTL fan at the time beaming? YEP

Was Yzerman 5 steps ahead of every one? 100%!!1

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

OS won't work
Mtl would probably give up a 1st/2nd/3rd on '21.
But I think we can beat that pkg if '20 AZ pick stays at 10.
Also depends on how Bolts finish this yr.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
OS won't work
Mtl would probably give up a 1st/2nd/3rd on '21.
But I think we can beat that pkg if '20 AZ pick stays at 10.
Also depends on how Bolts finish this yr.
TBL would bust out in laughter at 1,2,3 in a weak 2021 draft. Should MTL give up 1,2,3 and offer sheet Serge 8m? By pure making your team better yes mtl should. Will it happen? When I see offer sheet happen after this season then I will believe it.

For a team to have any prayer to get Serge you have to offer an elc player who could play immediately. That means Smith NJD has to be in deal somehow.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Do you really think if Yzerman thought Drouin was going to develop into an 80 point player he would have traded in division. COME ON

If Yzerman thought Drouin was going to be a 80 point player why was there been trade rumors of Drouin for 2 years? COME ON

Don't you have to give Yzerman a little credit for keeping Palat and T Johnson in ED and trading Drouin? COME ON
The safe easy gm move would be to trade Palat for picks and then decide either trade picks to Vegas for a d-man or sign Girardi.

Do you think a team that added 3 players on defense by sheer coincidence traded awaits worse defensive forward top 9? COME ON

Was TBL fan upset at the time? YEP

Was MTL fan at the time beaming? YEP

Was Yzerman 5 steps ahead of every one? 100%!!1

That’s where you are wrong. Yzerman had to trade a forward otherwise he would have lost a (young) top 6 forward to Vegas.

Also, he had a VERY big need to fill and Drouin was the only asset that they could afford to trade that could have potentially returned a prospect of Sergachev caliber who checked all box for Tampa (ELC, ED exempt, high end potential).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
TBL would bust out in laughter at 1,2,3 in a weak 2021 draft. Should MTL give up 1,2,3 and offer sheet Serge 8m? By pure making your team better yes mtl should. Will it happen? When I see offer sheet happen after this season then I will believe it.

For a team to have any prayer to get Serge you have to offer an elc player who could play immediately. That means Smith NJD has to be in deal somehow.

I think for Tampa Bay, that will be a key aspect of any trade talks involving either Cirelli or Sergachev. Now the real question is what will Brisebois target? A D? C? Winger?

This isn’t going to be an easy trade for Brisebois to make. You have to find a team that has the asset you want (ELC, ED exempt), has the cap space to acquire either Cirelli or Sergachev and has an ED spot available.

Not going to be easy. If no one fits the bill and they can’t move one of the guys with a NTC, they might have to consider - last resort option - a package including draft picks and prospects.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I agree the '21 draft has less to offer O wise.
In another thread someone posted that the Bolts are almost exclusively a 6'0 and up D team. I don't know much about Bahl, but if I'm considering Smith, I'm consideing Bahl and thats not knowing a thing about the kid.

I was merely referring to the OP, that offer is not enough. I'm done trying to get Serge, but its what this team needs

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
That’s where you are wrong. Yzerman had to trade a forward otherwise he would have lost a (young) top 6 forward to Vegas.

Also, he had a VERY big need to fill and Drouin was the only asset that they could afford to trade that could have potentially returned a prospect of Sergachev caliber who checked all box for Tampa (ELC, ED exempt, high end potential).

Batting my head against the wall. Trading Palat would not have gotten Serge. Understood. But you absolutely could have traded Palat for picks and then traded those picks for a d-man Vegas picked in the ED. Vegas was looking to get every first they could acquire. You could have kept Drouin, lose Palat, and acquired a no 4-man. This was safe and no one would say boo.

Yzerman didn't do that. He saw Drouin whining about being sent down. He saw the huge defensive flaws. He was available for 2 years and Yzerman was waiting on the right trade. When the opportunity came up for Serge, Yzerman jumped. I am telling you Tampa stations all year round were spreading Drouin rumors. It was clear Yzerman and the organization disliked him. They NEVER NEVER NEVER THOUGHT Drouin would be a 80 point player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad