Value of: Sergachev + Callahan to New Jersey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tampa is about to cut their defence of 2 or 3 defenders. Sergachev goes nowhere.

Left side is going to look like Popeye and the right arm is going to look a fraction of the size. Why do you keep trying Sergachev with Hedman and keep moving him back to the LD bottom pairing? What are the RD plans? Seems to be a major issue considering there is very little cap space to go after top 4D quality?

zeLuUbK.gif

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'll solve two problems with one trade. Cap space and RD problems. Juulsen and a 3rd (might consider a 2nd) for Sergachev and Callahan.

- Juulsen was the Habs best Dman behind Petry before Weber came back and when he got hurt by two pucks to his face in the same game. He is a shut down type D man with 20-30 pts potential. Forget about him being a offensive type. He lead the Habs in blocks and hits before he got hurt this year. I think he fits very well with McDonaugh. I hate to trade him but we are strong at RD and need a LD

- Habs take on Callahan if he says yes in his NTC. No retention required.

- Habs get back the LD we needed when we traded Drouin

- Lightning get a extra 3rd (or 2nd if you are fussy about it).

What piece on RD (on a ELC and a rising stock like Juulsen) do the Devils offer that matches this?

You *might* consider a 2nd? :laugh:

You managed to concoct something even worse than the OP. That is an absolutely horrendous offer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You *might* consider a 2nd? :laugh:

You managed to concoct something even worse than the OP. That is an absolutely horrendous offer.

Speak for yourself, not for the Lightning (like your username says)!!! :biglaugh:

If it's so horrendous, why did a Tampa fan say yes to the offer. I think you know squat about Juulsen. What RD prospect are you offering that equals Juulsen? And yes, I will start with a 3rd and go as low as a 2nd.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Left side is going to look like Popeye and the right arm is going to look a fraction of the size. Why do you keep trying Sergachev with Hedman and keep moving him back to the LD bottom pairing? What are the RD plans? Seems to be a major issue considering there is very little cap space to go after top 4D quality?

zeLuUbK.gif

They're f***ed. But you can't really fix your defensive woes by trading Sergachev with no defence coming in. If they made a deal like this it'd have to be for Vatanen/Severson, but then the Devils RHD is just as dodgy.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They're ****ed. But you can't really fix your defensive woes by trading Sergachev with no defence coming in. If they made a deal like this it'd have to be for Vatanen/Severson, but then the Devils RHD is just as dodgy.

I agree. That's why I proposed the Juulsen (RD who has top 4D quality) and a 3rd (I will go as low as a 2nd). I hate to trade Juulsen but we have Weber, Petry, Brook, and Fleury on the RD side. Juulsen is NHL ready and he was our best D man behind Petry to start the year. He had two pucks to his face in the same spot in the same game that derailed his season. He is now 100% healthy and would of played the AHL playoffs if Laval made it. He lead the Habs in Blocks, Hits, and his +/- was solid. Not a offensive type, a shutdown D type with good mobility and plays physical. This is no spare part

Takes two sides to be able to address each others needs. Habs are a good fit if they want to package Sergachev and Callahan and if Callahan says yes to coming to Montreal with his NTC.

Habs had the cap space and the assets on RD to make this deal work.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Speak for yourself, not for the Lightning (like your username says)!!! :biglaugh:

If it's so horrendous, why did a Tampa fan say yes to the offer. I think you know squat about Juulsen. What RD prospect are you offering that equals Juulsen? And yes, I will start with a 3rd and go as low as a 2nd.

Who said yes?

We're not offering RD prospects, because we don't have any to spare. I didn't compare the OP to your proposal; I'm saying that your offer is trash, independent of what was offered here on behalf of the Devils.

Sergachev and his ELC are worth their weight in gold to a cap team like Tampa. They'll move Miller and/or Johnson long before they use Sergachev in a deal to dump salary. Plus, they have their own Juulsen - Cal Foote, who is a much, much better player. There's no reason for them to do this deal. You're not being realistic.

Reactions: Starat327

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Takes two sides to be able to address each others needs. Habs are a good fit if they want to package Sergachev and Callahan and if Callahan says yes to coming to Montreal with his NTC.

Habs had the cap space and the assets on RD to make this deal work.

At this point, Callahan only has 1 year left on his deal. That sort of cap dump warrants a sweetener for sure, but more along the lines of picks. Definitely not Sergachev. That's asinine.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who said yes?

We're not offering RD prospects, because we don't have any to spare. I didn't compare the OP to your proposal; I'm saying that your offer is trash, independent of what was offered here on behalf of the Devils.

Sergachev and his ELC are worth their weight in gold to a cap team like Tampa. They'll move Miller and/or Johnson long before they use Sergachev in a deal to dump salary. Plus, they have their own Juulsen - Cal Foote, who is a much, much better player. There's no reason for them to do this deal. You're not being realistic.

Well based on your Horrendous knee jerk reaction comment, I'm not going to play nice with you. Go look at the Sergachev value thread.

They need more than Cal Foote on the RD side and Juulsen is more NHL ready. Heck, their top 4D could look like this (see below) but Foote needs to play NHL games and show ability to be a top 4D quality. I think he will but hard to say that is next year or the year after. That is up to Foot. Juulsen is NHL ready now and he proved this this season in a top 4D role (small sample size but this kid has been good at D at all levels he has played so far). I'm pretty sure you don't know too much about him to be honest.

Hedman / Foote
McDonagh / Juulsen

At the end of the day, this is not just about throwing Sergachev in the mix cause they want to unload Callahan. This is about addressing two needs. RD and Cap space in one move. What teams have a surplus of RD? The Habs!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At this point, Callahan only has 1 year left on his deal. That sort of cap dump warrants a sweetener for sure, but more along the lines of picks. Definitely not Sergachev. That's asinine.

I get that but your ignoring the return and how Juulsen (with the 2nd or 3rd) helps their needs at RD.

Lets say they dump Callahan for whatever (on his own). They would have $15.8M in cap space to sign 8 players including Point, Paquette and several RD. Who's playing RD next year? Are they going to trust that Sergachev can play RD where they tried him but kept moving him back to bottom LD pairing? After they sign Point and Paquette, where's the cap space to go get a RD in the UFA market? 6 players to sign with $8M ish in cap space don't get your top 4D quality

Something has to give here and it's more than just dumping Callahan. BrisBois has his work cut out from him and this time Yzerman is not with him. Good luck trying to bridge contract Point like Yzerman did with Kucherov.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Well based on your Horrendous knee jerk reaction comment, I'm not going to play nice with you. Go look at the Sergachev value thread.

What? "Kneejerk reaction comment"? Is that what you call fact-based opinions you don't agree with?

I went to the thread, and it didn't disappoint. You had one vote of approval, and a handful of people telling you to **** off. That doesn't mean your offer is "good."

They need more than Cal Foote on the RD side and Juulsen is more NHL ready. Heck, their top 4D could look like this (see below) but Foote needs to play NHL games and show ability to be a top 4D quality. I think he will but hard to say that is next year or the year after. That is up to Foot. Juulsen is NHL ready now and he proved this this season in a top 4D role (small sample size but this kid has been good at D at all levels he has played so far). I'm pretty sure you don't know too much about him to be honest.

Hedman / Foote
McDonagh / Juulsen

At the end of the day, this is not just about throwing Sergachev in the mix cause they want to unload Callahan. This is about addressing two needs. RD and Cap space in one move. What teams have a surplus of RD? The Habs!!

I don't know what to tell you.

It looks like the criminal under-valuation of Mikhail Sergachev in Montreal still rages on. Just because you sold him at a discount doesn't mean you get to re-acquire him at a discount.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think that with Hedman and McDonagh locked in at 1 and 2 on the left side for the next 5+ years, and their seemingly unwillingness to move Sergachev to the right side, it would make sense to move Sergachev out and clear much needed cap space in the mean time.

What would be the piece? Also with losing Callahan's salary, they would definitely have room to resign Stralman.

He kind of does. 4th line RW for 5.8 million?

They would be able to resign Stralman if they move Callahan's salary out
Well done

Reactions: Bet the Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad