Value of: Sergachev + Callahan to New Jersey

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I don’t know if they would do that unless there is a nice piece coming back. They are losing Strålman as well.
the most I would throw in would be Nashville or Boston second and Dallas third or one of the seconds and Santini.

Reactions: Smitty426

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I was gonna say that miller might be someone to go after. One of the Nashville Boston seconds might do.

The Devils should be looking to acquire an LHD partner for Severson with their surplus picks. There are far more viable forward options available in free agency than there are sufficient defensemen to pair with Severson. (Can you tell that's our biggest organizational need?)

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
The Devils should be looking to acquire an LHD partner for Severson with their surplus picks. There are far more viable forward options available in free agency than there are sufficient defensemen to pair with Severson. (Can you tell that's our biggest organizational need?)
I agree but you’ve added Callahan and I figured you were interested in a forward so I said that they should go after him as opposed to Callahan as it would cost to much to go after sergachev.
A top line D is the number one need IMO. But goalies are still a question mark.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see Callahan likely going back to the Rangers to be honest. Don't see the Devils on his NTC list.

Callahan and a 1st round, for Rangers(TBL originally) 2nd round. Basically the original condition becomes guaranteed if that makes sense, lol.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I see Callahan likely going back to the Rangers to be honest. Don't see the Devils on his NTC list.

Callahan and a 1st round, for Rangers(TBL originally) 2nd round. Basically the original condition becomes guaranteed if that makes sense, lol.
Honestly, I don't believe we'd be desperate enough to dump his salary to give that 1st up. We have too many positive value guys that we could move, and bring in solid assets, just to reduce the cap number and give away capital.

Last edited:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Too soon...

And I'd bet they move Johnson and/or Miller long before they use Sergachev as a sweetener to dump Callahan...

I think that with Hedman and McDonagh locked in at 1 and 2 on the left side for the next 5+ years, and their seemingly unwillingness to move Sergachev to the right side, it would make sense to move Sergachev out and clear much needed cap space in the mean time.

I don’t know if they would do that unless there is a nice piece coming back. They are losing Strålman as well.
the most I would throw in would be Nashville or Boston second and Dallas third or one of the seconds and Santini.

What would be the piece? Also with losing Callahan's salary, they would definitely have room to resign Stralman.

LOL as a sweetener to dump Callahan? Hilarious. Cally does not have as much negative value as you think.

He kind of does. 4th line RW for 5.8 million?

Tampa is about to cut their defence of 2 or 3 defenders. Sergachev goes nowhere.

They would be able to resign Stralman if they move Callahan's salary out

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Honestly, I don't believe we'd be desperate enough to dump his salary to give that 1st up. We have too many positive value guys that we could move to reduce the cap number to just give away capital.

Really shouldn't be. He really is not the issue. But it's the cap hit that's the issue.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I think that with Hedman and McDonagh locked in at 1 and 2 on the left side for the next 5+ years, and their seemingly unwillingness to move Sergachev to the right side, it would make sense to move Sergachev out and clear much needed cap space in the mean time.

He kind of does. 4th line RW for 5.8 million?
Yeah, for that position he is grossly overpaid, however, my point is we have quite a few positive value guys that we could move, bringing in quality assets, and still reduce the cap hit instead of giving up assets for the sake of getting rid of a contract.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I was thinking something like:

To NJD:
Sergachev + Callahan

To TBL:
Jesper Boqvist + 2019 2nd round pick (BOS) + 2020 3rd round pick (NJ)

Reasons NJ does it:
They lose their 2nd best prospect and two draft picks, but they get Mikael Sergachev to pair with Ty Smith as their 1-2 punch on the left side of the defense for years to come.

Reasons TB does it:
With Hedman + McDonagh on the left side, Sergachev has continued to be buried on the 3rd pair. This trade clears cap space for them, opening up space to make a huge run at Erik Karlsson in July. They can also move out somebody like JT Miller as well to clear additional space, because Boqvist will likely be able to take his place in the lineup as early as next season.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan has 1 year left. There's no need to add a big sweetener, such as a 1st, or top prospect, or really good player.

Just make that 2nd a 1st for us, and should be enough. We move up a round, they move down a round.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Callahan has 1 year left. There's no need to add a big sweetener, such as a 1st, or top prospect, or really good player.
A good team can’t afford the cap hit for what he brings.
So Callahan has to go to a weaker team. Some contract is likely going the other way unless the return is pretty low.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

To NJD:
Sergachev + Callahan

To TBL:

Reasons NJ does it:
They lose their 2nd best prospect and two draft picks, but they get Mikael Sergachev to pair with Ty Smith as their 1-2 punch on the left side of the defense for years to come.

Reasons TB does it:
With Hedman + McDonagh on the left side, Sergachev has continued to be buried on the 3rd pair. This trade clears cap space for them, opening up space to make a huge run at Erik Karlsson in July. They can also move out somebody like JT Miller as well to clear additional space, because Boqvist will likely be able to take his place in the lineup as early as next season.
Sergachev plays on the right side as well so having Hedman and McDonagh already doesn't matter. During the last leg of the season he was playing with Hedman quite a bit. Also even if we traded Callahan, Sergachev, and Miller we wouldn't be able to afford Karlsson (assuming an 83 million cap, Point signing for $9M and Karlsson signing for $11M). And even if we could afford that for next season, we would have traded all our expensive non-NTC contracts and therefore have no easy way to make room for re-signing Cernak, Vasilevskiy, Cirelli, and Joseph. Doesn't seem worth it to me at all.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

To NJD:
Sergachev + Callahan

To TBL:

Reasons NJ does it:

Reasons TB does it:

This is a terrible offer, frankly. One year of Callahan's contract doesn't tank Sergachev's value to that extent.

A cap team like Tampa values Sergachev's ELC like gold. He isn't a realistic trade target.

Reactions: Bet the Over

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
1. no
2. no
3. serg was our best dman in that series by far
4. no
5. callahan is still effective
6. no
7. callahan only has 1 more year
8. no
9. no
10. HELL NO

my 10 reasons for saying no

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
This is a terrible offer, frankly. One year of Callahan's contract doesn't tank Sergachev's value to that extent.

A cap team like Tampa values Sergachev's ELC like gold. He isn't a realistic trade target.

Fair. I'm just trying to gauge who the Devils should be targeting as a top 4 LHD to go with Smith. In house we have Butcher and Davies but I'm not sure if they are the answer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll solve two problems with one trade. Cap space and RD problems. Juulsen and a 3rd (might consider a 2nd) for Sergachev and Callahan.

- Juulsen was the Habs best Dman behind Petry before Weber came back and when he got hurt by two pucks to his face in the same game. He is a shut down type D man with 20-30 pts potential. Forget about him being a offensive type. He lead the Habs in blocks and hits before he got hurt this year. I think he fits very well with McDonaugh. I hate to trade him but we are strong at RD and need a LD

- Habs take on Callahan if he says yes in his NTC. No retention required.

- Habs get back the LD we needed when we traded Drouin

- Lightning get a extra 3rd (or 2nd if you are fussy about it).

What piece on RD (on a ELC and a rising stock like Juulsen) do the Devils offer that matches this?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->