Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Wings October 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I thought Ceci was excellent for the most part. One those games where you see the top 2 defenseman potential in him. The one thing I'd like him to add to his toolbox is a stretch pass. I don't think I've seen him make long passes much. It could help him produce offense and take his offensive game up a notch. He used his shot a little more last game which is a good thing because he has a rocket from the point.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm in the camp that says that if he dresses Chabot, Boucher might go with 7/11 and Varone will sit unless someone else is hurt.

I don't think any of the forwards really deserve to be taken out at this time so when he dresses Chabot my preference would be that he sits Boro or Wideman. Chabot should take a normal 3rd pair rotation and if he can't cut it then finish the game with 5 D and sit him again or send him back. They can control Chabot's minutes and playing situations as much as possible but they shouldn't have to baby a NHL pro D. Save the gimmicks for a time when a top 4 D has a small nagging injury but the coach wants to dress him anyway to see if he can get some important minutes from him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ideally Borowiecki... but if Boucher wants to send a message, sitting Ceci may not be the worst approach.

If Boucher thought Ceci wasn't playing well to the point that a message had to be sent, I somehow doubt he'd have played him 25 mins a night.

Beyond that, it is absolutely terrible player management to scratch a guy without first considering other options like reducing his mins. talk about sending mixed messages.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm in the camp that says that if he dresses Chabot, Boucher might go with 7/11 and Varone will sit unless someone else is hurt.

I don't think any of the forwards really deserve to be taken out at this time so when he dresses Chabot my preference would be that he sits Boro or Wideman. Chabot should take a normal 3rd pair rotation and if he can't cut it then finish the game with 5 D and sit him again or send him back. They can control Chabot's minutes and playing situations as much as possible but they shouldn't have to baby a NHL pro D. Save the gimmicks for a time when a top 4 D has a small nagging injury but the coach wants to dress him anyway to see if he can get some important minutes from him.

Agreed about Varone being the most likely to sit, but I think he's out for Puempel. Neil playing few mins can still throw that one big hit. Guys like Varone need some mins in offensive situations to provide value.

If we bring in both Puempel and Chabot, I'd guess that Varone sits for sure. Not sure about who else though, would have said Wideman before last game, but he was much better against the Habs. Boro was exactly what you want from him that game too, physical, but otherwise not too noticeable (good or bad).

Touch choice for the coach if he wants to sub both in right now imo.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Clearly in the minority opinion on this one. :laugh: Fair enough. I'm more thinking along the lines of, you can't bench Wideman after such a strong outing. And if Boro's not it, then Methot/Karlsson/Phaneuf aren't very high on the pecking order of healthy scratches. That leaves Ceci. But maybe I'm being a tad unrealistic as far as my expectations go.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Gotta be prepared for this one. Wings 0-2 and their home opener you know they're going to come out to show that they don't suck. Hopefully we can weather the early push I am thinking Detroit will have.

Anyone know when they're going to announce the goalie for the game tonight? I feel like every time I go with my Andy jersey Hammond starts! Might have to go old school and rock the Tugnutt or Dennis Vial.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gotta be prepared for this one. Wings 0-2 and their home opener you know they're going to come out to show that they don't suck. Hopefully we can weather the early push I am thinking Detroit will have.

Anyone know when they're going to announce the goalie for the game tonight? I feel like every time I go with my Andy jersey Hammond starts! Might have to go old school and rock the Tugnutt or Dennis Vial.

I think morning skates are usually around 11, so we should know by then.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Puempel could find a spot in the quick strike offense. If he buries his first few good chances he could be a guy who picks up goals on plays where he only touches the puck when it's going into the net. He does have that out of nowhere scoring finish. If he can pop a few early he might be a guy that can have a productive season.
Varone didn't look bad, but the bounces weren't going his way. Between his play making and Puempels finish its can be a good 12/13 combo.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Can't see us starting out back up for the divisional rival and starter against an obscure team. Andy tonight I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad