Post-Game Talk: Sens win 4-3 in SO against the REFEREES

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The boys are not utilizing him at all except Stutzle few instances. Tkachuk has messed up several one touch passes to Dadonov which were automatic goals for Dad in Florida. Batherson also double clutching when looking at Dadonov as an option.

okay. But he still has 2 assists for the season. 1 assist 5 on 5. I mean the Sens aren’t a great team bu Dadonov isn’t helping. And at his age and size and skating, very scary

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Thats pretty much entirely due to all the Pk time.
White should be playing on the PK at this point. Really bizarre that DJ pretty much exclusively sticks to only 4 forwards on the PK, especially when none of them are particularly good at it. Leads to nights like this where your best players spend too much time on the bench.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
White should be playing on the PK at this point. Really bizarre that DJ pretty much exclusively sticks to only 4 forwards on the PK, especially when none of them are particularly good at it. Leads to nights like this where your best players spend too much time on the bench.

PK was amazing last night and dominant in the 1st period. But I agree, Whites could contribute more if he was a PK player

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
PK was amazing last night and dominant in the 1st period. But I agree, Whites could contribute more if he was a PK player
Yeah PK was great last night but if we're looking at the bigger picture it's been pretty bad for a long time. That has more to do with the coaching and Dmen used in the PK rather than the forwards, but still would like to see more/different forwards involved. There's no reason Austin freaking Watson needs to be on the ice for over 8 minutes in a game while we're down a man.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hard to complain about the pk in a game where we go 7 for 8.

I'd like to get White killing penalties too though, probably in place of Watson to kill with Paul.

Yeah PK was great last night but if we're looking at the bigger picture it's been pretty bad for a long time. That has more to do with the coaching and Dmen used in the PK rather than the forwards, but still would like to see more/different forwards involved. There's no reason Austin freaking Watson needs to be on the ice for over 8 minutes in a game while we're down a man.
I don't think the forwards are to blame for our PK being bad, goaltending is probably the biggest issue, and i personally think our D is below average in that regard as well.

Tbh, i think after the first 10 games the PK has been pretty sound from a technical perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Really bizarre that DJ pretty much exclusively sticks to only 4 forwards on the PK, especially when none of them are particularly good at it
Which ones are you talking about?

I assume Watson, Tierney, Brown?

The latter 2 are exceptional at disrupting the play on the pk. Generating scoring chances too.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I was very impressed that the boys were able to pull out a victory in a game where they played shorthanded for extended periods. Kudos to Murray and the PK especially Tierney and Brown.

The Flames look to me like a team about to slide into the abyss. I'll happily take the Sens future over theirs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
White is producing which is great but there are still some areas where he needs to improve his play. Maybe it is just me but I notice I watch him and get a little frustrated with his play feeling he needs to do more, then he produces a gritty goal so I ease of the criticism only to see the process repeat itself. Maybe I am expecting too much from him or maybe the role he is in/the players he is playing with don't allow him to play to his strengths.
The guy definitely is not perfect. But he is the teams best center. A the scoring is at least there. I want him with stutzle and batherson

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
The guy definitely is not perfect. But he is the teams best center. A the scoring is at least there. I want him with stutzle and batherson

I don't know if he's our best center If he is, it says a lot about our center position, but he definitely his very consistent overall.

His line is almost never getting caved in defensively, they get chances, they score here and there. This season, you know what you are getting from his line.

I said it in his thread, he need to be better at faceoff, but if Paul is doing good at it, let him take faceoff and let White play the center role which is something he is doing well. I would definitely put him with Paul on the PK.
Nothing against Watson, but i don't really care for a 4th line player. They should try to devellop player for the PK like they did with Paul, Duclair last year.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Which ones are you talking about?

I assume Watson, Tierney, Brown?

The latter 2 are exceptional at disrupting the play on the pk. Generating scoring chances too.
The only 4 forwards used on the PK last night were Watson, Tierney, Paul and Brown. Exceptional isn't a word that's appropriate describing any of these players. Paul, Brown and Tierney are decent. Again, I think the issue with the PK is more systemic than to do with the forwards specifically. Anyway , they should get more players involved in that aspect of the game. Will be rough tonight on a back to back if we run into penalty trouble again.

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
I’ve said it 100x, the sens need a quality top 4 dman to come in and help solidify the defence. It’ll make things a lot easier for Murray/Daccord and they’ll improve and honestly even a little improvement from the D/G positions were in the playoff hunt. I don’t mean Rielly/Zaitsev type either who project as more of 4/5/6 dman, I mean a genuinely solid guy in his prime that we can slot with chabot or on the 2nd unit

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Putting him out in a tie game with 5 minutes left after sitting for an hour certainly wasn't putting him in a position to succeed.

I think after he took the stick penalty the coaches benched him, espeiaclli so early in the game they probably wanted him to be physical and get in the way and he started like that. Was more sending a message to get involved physically and not just put your stick into battle then his actual on ice play

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I’ve said it 100x, the sens need a quality top 4 dman to come in and help solidify the defence. It’ll make things a lot easier for Murray/Daccord and they’ll improve and honestly even a little improvement from the D/G positions were in the playoff hunt. I don’t mean Rielly/Zaitsev type either who project as more of 4/5/6 dman, I mean a genuinely solid guy in his prime that we can slot with chabot or on the 2nd unit
Dougie "the man" Hamilton ? :)

Chabot Hamilton
Sanderson JBD
Zub Thomson
Kleven Brannstrom

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
Dougie "the man" Hamilton ? :)

Chabot Hamilton
Sanderson JBD
Zub Thomson
Kleven Brannstrom
Hamilton would work, depending on the contract. Another guy I like is Ekholm out of Nashville who is on the trade block. Maybe even a guy like Denis Savard but someone who is a LEGIT top 4 guy. Right now we have 2/6 in Chabot and Zub. If any of Thomson/JBD/Kleven/Sanderson can make the jump next year we will be in a great spot.

On the flip side REALLY excited to see Daccord again tonight. His rebound control is awesome.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One of the reasons I'm still doubting the coaching staff is how widly different the team can look from game to game in their defensive structure, DZ/NZ coverage, breakout strategies, puck support, etc. It's either they are still figuring it out, have a problem with communication, the players are stubborn or not are fast learners/bad executors. Admittedly, no real training camp and a lot of players turnover must have had an effect in "structuring" the team. Still a pretty big question mark as to how they still look awful defensively in some games. I mean look at the first 2 periods last night, that's NHL defending. Ok the 3rd didn't go well but there was a score effect and also so many penalties, but even if they spent the whole period in their zone, it was still MUCH better than the 1st period last game lol

If you provide NHL defense to Matt Murray, he's going to make the saves and keep your team in the game or keep the lead. Like I said before, he can be extremely solid but he's not a "miracle" goalie ala Hasek/Fleury. He's actually very similar to Carey Price, who is also a solid positionnal/technical goalie (but more game-breaking ability). That's why these guys (Price/Murray) had very big highs in their career, when there's some type of structure in front of them. I was listening to Stephane Waite interview the other day and he was asked if Carey Price could still have a 0.925 SV% type season and he answered "yes, depending on the structure in front of him". That's coming from the guy that was coaching Carey Price for the last 8 years.

I'm sure if I kept track of the games/periods where we provided at least NHL Defense, our goalies numbers would be fine (0.900 SV%+). But there's some games/periods where it's significantly below the level needed in the NHL. I'm sure a lot of scorers against the Sens this year must have thought "wow thanks, that was easy", and NHLers in general think it's extremely hard to score in the NHL

I think Murray/Daccord could actually be a pretty good tandem as soon as next year (they both have the ability) if we somehow improve our defensive structure, get better players and/or bring in a better (?) coaching staff

I rarely blame the refs but tonight was pathetic

Thanks RDS, I'm able to re-watch what I missed yesterday (damn sunday games). I mean, if you're going to call everything on one team, you have to make the calls both ways so...

Take a shot everytime the Flames should have gotten a penalty

Thank God I don't drink anymore because I'd already be passed out on a monday morning lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The boys are not utilizing him at all except Stutzle few instances. Tkachuk has messed up several one touch passes to Dadonov which were automatic goals for Dad in Florida. Batherson also double clutching when looking at Dadonov as an option.

Yup. That PP unit is going to be scary as soon as next season

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
One of the reasons I'm still doubting the coaching staff is how widly different the team can look from game to game in their defensive structure, DZ/NZ coverage, breakout strategies, puck support, etc. It's either they are still figuring it out, have a problem with communication, the players are stubborn or not are fast learners/bad executors. Admittedly, no real training camp and a lot of players turnover must have had an effect in "structuring" the team. Still a pretty big question mark as to how they still look awful defensively in some games. I mean look at the first 2 periods last night, that's NHL defending. Ok the 3rd didn't go well but there was a score effect and also so many penalties, but even if they spent the whole period in their zone, it was still MUCH better than the 1st period last game lol

If you provide NHL defense to Matt Murray, he's going to make the saves and keep your team in the game or keep the lead. Like I said before, he can be extremely solid but he's not a "miracle" goalie ala Hasek/Fleury. He's actually very similar to Carey Price, who is also a solid positionnal/technical goalie (but more game-breaking ability). That's why these guys (Price/Murray) had very big highs in their career, when there's some type of structure in front of them. I was listening to Stephane interview the other day and he was asked if Carey Price could still have a 0.925 SV% type season and he answered "yes, depending on the structure in front of him". That's coming from the guy that was coaching Carey Price for the last 8 years.

I'm sure if I kept track of the games/periods where we provided at least NHL Defense, our goalies numbers would be fine (0.900 SV%+). But there's some games/periods where it's significantly below the level needed in the NHL. I'm sure a lot of scorers against the Sens this year must have thought "wow thanks, that was easy", and NHLers in general think it's extremely hard to score in the NHL

I think Murray/Daccord could actually be a pretty good tandem as soon as next year (they both have the ability) if we somehow improve our defensive structure, get better players and/or bring in a better (?) coaching staff

Thanks RDS, I'm able to re-watch what I missed yesterday (damn sunday games). I mean, if you're going to call everything on one team, you have to make the calls both ways so...

Take a shot everytime the Flames should have gotten a penalty

Thank God I don't drink anymore because I'd already be passed out on a monday morning lol

Sens are 7-5 on their last 12 games. I like the way they play,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad