Friedman: Sens testing market on Andrew Hammond (UPDATE: On Waivers, Nov. 19)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
As far as the Bishop trade goes, the most I can say to defend it is that it is easy for us to sit there and laugh at it years later, but go back and read threads from the time and see what people thought about it.

Does that mean it isn't a bad trade? No. It has panned out to be one of the worst trades in Sens history. The team gift wrapped a division rival a very good goalie and got what amounted to a bit of help at forward at the end of the shortened season and a 4th rounder in return.

But it is easy to see why someone running a team with 3 goalies, one being a young goalie of the future and the other being a solid veteran starter might make that move at the time.

At the time, I thought Bishop was showing more promise than Lehner. It was a difficult decision though as Lehner had draft pedigree (relatively speaking) and hence the Senators had more of an investment in him.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Fun fact about Hammond (not super relevant, to be honest) - in a December 2014 AHL game, he allowed three goals in 36 seconds, for a 300.00 GAA.

And he didn't get the loss in the game.

Add in it was the first 36 seconds of a game, on the first three shots I believe.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
efa3630012d3bf58aae6e5539234136e.png

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say, advanced stats can be very misleading, simply watching him will tell you he's nothing more than a mediocre backup.

I would say that's pretty accurate.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
At the time, I thought Bishop was showing more promise than Lehner. It was a difficult decision though as Lehner had draft pedigree (relatively speaking) and hence the Senators had more of an investment in him.

My point is that if you go back and read how people viewed the trade at the time your opinion wasn't the popular opinion. The overwhelming opinion was that Ottawa fleeced Tampa. Edmonton could have gotten Bishop but haggle over 20 spots in the 2nd round of the draft. People clearly didn't expect Bishop to breakout as he did.

Again, still a terrible trade when all is said and done, but it made a lot of sense at the time.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Hammond is an average backup. With the goalie market being a bit flooded, I can't see him getting much interest.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hammond is an average backup. With the goalie market being a bit flooded, I can't see him getting much interest.

The goalie market (for backups) is flooded?

I mean, I get that there are teams looking to offload expensive starters that have been outplayed by young up and comers prior to the expansion draft, but I'm pretty sure that's not the same market as Hammond would be dealt in.

The team that's looking at Fleury isn't going to be looking at Hammond, and vice versa.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
efa3630012d3bf58aae6e5539234136e.png

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say, advanced stats can be very misleading, simply watching him will tell you he's nothing more than a mediocre backup.

So advanced stats can be misleading but "simply watching him" can't?? OK bud. He's sporting ELITE numbers in both seasons he's been in the NHL, what he did in the AHL doesn't matter at all imo.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
My point is that if you go back and read how people viewed the trade at the time your opinion wasn't the popular opinion. The overwhelming opinion was that Ottawa fleeced Tampa. Edmonton could have gotten Bishop but haggle over 20 spots in the 2nd round of the draft. People clearly didn't expect Bishop to breakout as he did.

Again, still a terrible trade when all is said and done, but it made a lot of sense at the time.

I remember that Bishop was advertised as the best NHL goalie not in the NHL at the time the Senators picked him up. Then when got a string of games for Ottawa, he played well and I remember thinking he could end up being better than Lehner.

Having said all of this, I'm sure many Senator fans were still high on Lehner.

I never worry about having the popular opinion. Popular opinions are akin to the opinion that the world is flat before 1492.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Geez ... everyone's being a bit tough on the poor old Hamburglar. He was playing in front of a train-wreck defense in early 2015, and has missed a lot of time since (see below). I think if he can stay fit he is a competent backup and at least worth a late round pick.

Nov 15, 2016 Missed 8 games (groin).
Oct 29, 2016 Groin, injured reserve.
Jan 15, 2016 Missed 1 game (personal reasons).
Jan 13, 2016 Personal reasons, injured reserve.
Jan 11, 2016 Personal reasons, day-to-day.
Dec 13, 2015 Recalled from the Binghamton Senators (AHL).
Dec 10, 2015 Missed 11 games (head injury).
Dec 10, 2015 Assigned to the Binghamton Senators (AHL) for conditioning purposes.
Nov 21, 2015 Head injury, injured reserve.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Hammond and Condon are equal in my mind. The only difference between the two is one went on a amazing hot streak. There is no market for Hammond unless you want a late pick.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Hammond and Condon are equal in my mind. The only difference between the two is one went on a amazing hot streak. There is no market for Hammond unless you want a late pick.

I think Condon is better at this point. However, I don't know how much sense it makes to trade Hammond because of Anderson's situation. You also don't want to move him and then see Condon get hurt. Hammond is insurance at this point.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
lol this guy is the greatest con man seen in the NHL since that nobody tried to buy the Islanders. 25 Games got him a 3yr NHL deal when he should have been toiling around in Europe by now.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Lehner and the coaching staff did not get along.

Of course, they replaced the coaching staff a year later.

Lehner and the team didn't get along...

Really the best move back in the day, would've been to tell Lehner to put his big kid pants on and ride the busses in Bingo and keep Anderson and Bishop up in the NHL.

Long term might've worked out better all the way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad