Sens stuff said by Brian Burke on NHL Radio (Sirius XM)

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Since it covers many topics I will post it all in here.

He was on the show yesterday with a repeat today.. he was asked a bunch of things about the Sens

1. He does not see Hoffman's trade value as being diminished.. says players and spouses not getting along is common. He did say it was not common to be so public. He mentioned on one of his teams one wife refused to be around another wife so she never went in the wives room and instead waited outside on a folding chair

2. He said if he was the GM he would be leaning toward keeping the pick this year. Believes they are not as bad as last years record (mentioned being 1 win away from the finals previous season)

3. Believes Montreal will trade down in the draft as they will probably target a centre and there are good options later in the 1st round (affects us because they pick before us)

He said a few more things which are slipping my mind, but I will post them when I remember

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
#1 does not surprise me at all. The nature of this situation is a tad worse than just not getting along though.

I agree on both #2 and #3. I really think either Detroit or Arizona will be taking Zadina at #3.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But I was told by several experienced hf boarders that Hoff's trade value is now a mid-round pick. Burke must be out to lunch here.
Well Friedman says that we lowered the price on Hoffman ourselves, and then after the news came out his value cratered.

But yeah, choose either Burke or Friedman depending on which side you're on.

Reactions: Icelevel

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I hate Burke and his whole shtick but if there is one thing he's good at its setting a price on his players . I've always valued that about him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
But I was told by several experienced hf boarders that Hoff's trade value is now a mid-round pick. Burke must be out to lunch here.

I know things are bad with the Senators, but why do so many posters here have to be so sensitive and make things between other posters so contentious lately? I've seen a lot of it over the last week or so, it makes this place come off badly.

There is evidence from other insiders that Hoffman's value currently is low. Friedman had claimed on the most recent 31 Thoughts podcast that Dorion had initially intended to trade Hoffman by Wednesday night (News dropped on Tuesday if I recall), and that his value had cratered. If we could get something decent for Hoffman, don't you think we'd have washed our hands of him by now?

That doesn't mean his value won't go back up if we wait a few months into the off season, and this thing resolves itself somehow. But I don't think it's unfair for people to speculate that his value might be very low right now.

I don't get the need for the appeal to authority. There have been just as many guys deeply involved in hockey who have said they think his value has gone way down currently as a result of this situation as there have been guys who say they don't think it has been affected badly or that he is still worth something decent (such as Garrioch, and Burke).

Reactions: BigRig4

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Well Friedman says that we lowered the price on Hoffman ourselves, and then after the news came out his value cratered.

I'm not saying i even agree with Burke. I'm just sick of the negative goth girl vibe I'm getting around here, that's all.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm not saying i even agree with Burke. I'm just sick of the negative goth girl vibe I'm getting around here, that's all.

There are some people who I think thrive on negativity and having a persecution complex within their own fanbase when discussing sports, even when things are going well for their teams they can't enjoy it because they are looking for the negativity, but I don't think that's what is going on here.

We have people like Ray Ferraro declaring that we're the laughing stock of the league. Things are really bad for the Senators right now, so without a doubt most discussion about the team is going to have a negative vibe to it because it is legitimate negative situations being discussed. It's unrealistic to expect people to be hugely positive on a Senators discussion board when so many negative things are happening to the Senators. While I appreciate people who can be positive in the face of adversity in my day to day life, I find the head in the sand delusional "NOTHING IS WRONG" type of posters just as bad as the sky is falling posters who can't enjoy us in the conference final because we made a bad trade 18 months earlier.

I don't think people's negativity on this board is currently wrong or unwarranted given the state of the team. I haven't really noticed a lack of productive discussion or anything, it just has a rightful negative slant. I've noticed a bit of contention and bickering between posters, which is annoying, but that's a different thing entirely.

Reactions: Deku and BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A negative vibe makes sense when we've been told negative things..I know I'm a huge culprit of that

If things weren't bad, there wouldn't (shouldn't) be overreaching negative vibes on HFSens. With the way things have been for the past year (with very large foreshadowing for the past 2) the negative vibes make sense with the direction of the team. The team is the laughingstock of the league, why wouldn't people be negative?

I'm all for positivity, but I'm not one for being positive for the sake of being positive regardless of the situation. If things are going bad, displeasure should be shown. When things are going THIS bad, displeasure should definitely be shown.

There has been just as many people understating the amount of wrongdoing here as there has been people overstating the amount of wrongdoing.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hoffman is a bit of an unusual case...and that's before the online stuff. Some fans do look at him as an incomplete type of player, 1-trick pony, or however you want to say it. It doesn't take much for some folks to devalue him, as he wasn't that high in their minds to begin with.

I do think there might be a GM or two who could be leery over the off-ice issues. More-so because of their own dressing room/chemistry lacking over a negative perception of Hoff (as in, they know their room is fragile already), but for the most part, a guy who is a decent shot at getting 30 goals definitely has value around the league.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don’t think Hoffman has much value - he’s the Anson Carter of this generation. You’ll get goals, but hold no real value.

Hoffman is an airhead in the ice. I’ve actually never really seen an established NHL player have less hockey sense then Hoffman #1 when he is deep in his zone with the puck #2 when he hits a backcheck at his own blue line.

He can shoot the puck, apart from that his game is poor

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Burke is a far better source. He's been in the GM chair.

Friedman is a tool.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Burke is a far better source. He's been in the GM chair.

Friedman is a tool.
Burke is stating his opinion.

Friedman, literally, is quoting his sources, aka people actually involved in the process.

Friedman's own opinion of "Ottawa should give up it's pick", sure, that can be viewed as that. A guys opinion.

When an insider is quoting his sources, it's not his opinion...

Whatever works for you man. We know.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Burke is stating his opinion.

Friedman, literally, is quoting his sources, aka people actually involved in the process.

Friedman's own opinion of "Ottawa should give up it's pick", sure, that can be viewed as that. A guys opinion.

When an insider is quoting his sources, it's not his opinion...

Whatever works for you man. We know.
Sources who use mouthpieces like Friedman to attempt to manipulate the market.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, it's all an anti-Sens conspiracy.
Ya, because that is what I said.

Ignoring the context of Friedmans take is foolish. Just like Count citing Gartihack with regards to the Sens.

Burke is telling you how he would view the situation as a GM. No agenda, just hands on experience.

If you want to pretend that both positions have equal value, knock yourself out. Some people are able to have a more nuanced understanding.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ya, because that is what I said.

Ignoring the context of Friedmans take is foolish. Just like Count citing Gartihack with regards to the Sens.

Burke is telling you how he would view the situation as a GM. No agenda, just hands on experience.

If you want to pretend that both positions have equal value, knock yourself out. Some people are able to have a more nuanced understanding.
Burke was pretty awful general manager so his opinion shouldn't be held too high.

I like "nuanced understanding" though, that got a chuckle out of me. Feels line something George Costanza or Gob Bluth would say.

Reactions: Officer Fred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad