Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Claesson

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i wish Claesson becomes good enough to player for us. He's got a cool personality from the small glimpses I've seen of him.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
He likely isnt better then Boro. Boro was an AHL all star at the same age. That was the year bingo finished last in the East too.
Boro had 22 when bingo sucked Claessan had 19 when bingo sucked

I think there is a 1 year difference ... Claessen just finished his 3rd AHL season at age 22 and 6 months. At 22 and 3 months, Boro was just about to begin his first full AHL season.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He will be one of the mainstays in Binghamton.

I'd like to see him get a chance this year for some games with Ottawa, assuming he does well enough in Training Camp.

Phillips has to be retired/LTIR'd. And I do hope Cowen is dealt, perhaps with Lehner, for a better return (if indeed Lehner is on the table). Murray seems to want Cowen to stay. That blocks Claesson's opportunity.

Borowiecki brings physicality; Wiercioch is a puck mover, so a different beast and Methot is going no-where. Ceci, Wideman and Gryba play the RD side. Cowen moving is his key.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Glad to hear he's staying around for another year, hope he gets a shot in Ottawa this year.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Judging from his interviews Claesson has a great personality and is good leader. He could be Bingo's next captain.
Funny how people think his offensive upside is non-existing. In 2013/14 he actually led all AHL defencemen in ES/SH points while playing zero PP minutes.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Thinking there will be a defenseman gone before training camp

I hope so. Haven't heard about it in a while but towards the end of the season I believe Murray said he was going to trade a defensemen and we wouldn't start the season with 8 guys again. Claesson is a perfect guy to fill in if an injury occurs and Philips can also do that.

Probably one of Wiercioch or Cowen but I suspect it might be Cowen. Not sure what's going to happen with Wideman though. Murray wanted to give him a chance and also he played great last season so I doubt Murray would just let him go without offering him something interesting.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I hope so. Haven't heard about it in a while but towards the end of the season I believe Murray said he was going to trade a defensemen and we wouldn't start the season with 8 guys again. Claesson is a perfect guy to fill in if an injury occurs and Philips can also do that.

Probably one of Wiercioch or Cowen but I suspect it might be Cowen. Not sure what's going to happen with Wideman though. Murray wanted to give him a chance and also he played great last season so I doubt Murray would just let him go without offering him something interesting.
Yep clearing a body or two would help ,as for Wideman they could juice his AHL salary ,to corey locke type numbers .

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Plan the parade. :D

Will this kid ever get a legit shot on the big club? Sounds like he has all the puck moving skills we lack on the back end....let's get him some games already!

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Man, if Boro could play a good right side, a Claesson - Boro bottom pairing could be pretty good.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Man, if Boro could play a good right side, a Claesson - Boro bottom pairing could be pretty good.

Hell yeah. It would open up so many options if Boro could play right side. Even Cowen and Boro would be interesting to see if Cowen can get back on track.

I love Boro, if anyone can switch to right , he can.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Judging from his interviews Claesson has a great personality and is good leader. He could be Bingo's next captain.
Funny how people think his offensive upside is non-existing. In 2013/14 he actually led all AHL defencemen in ES/SH points while playing zero PP minutes.

Scoring in the AHL and scoring in the NHL are two very different beasts

It isn't just "how much did he score in the AHL?" but also "on what skillset does he rely to get the points?"

It's why I remain skeptical about Lazar's offensive ceiling in the NHL: none of the goals he scored in Junior lead me to believe he'll have similar success in the NHL because in the NHL goalies are much better and there's a lot less time and space which are things he relied on to produce.

Of course players adapt and some learn new tricks so this isn't something set in stone. Still, producing a lot in the AHL is better than not, I'll give you that

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree. But I seriously doubt its with the sens..

I unno because I think his potential could make him excellent complementary defender for Ceci in couple years.

It would be bad asset management to move Claesson soon, I think they package Wier for forward/stop gap on D until Claesson ready to take over. It'll also help with cap if we need guys with cheaper contracts playing higher roles.

Great news.

I've seen his ceiling as Willie Mitchell for some time now. Anybody else?

Not bad but I def see him as more of a Hjammer than Mitchell. Excellent positionally who relies on his stick a lot and closes off defender from puck but has the occasional big time hit who can play physical on boards.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Scoring in the AHL and scoring in the NHL are two very different beasts

It isn't just "how much did he score in the AHL?" but also "on what skillset does he rely to get the points?"

It's why I remain skeptical about Lazar's offensive ceiling in the NHL: none of the goals he scored in Junior lead me to believe he'll have similar success in the NHL because in the NHL goalies are much better and there's a lot less time and space which are things he relied on to produce.

Of course players adapt and some learn new tricks so this isn't something set in stone. Still, producing a lot in the AHL is better than not, I'll give you that

Half of Lazar's goals were banging in rebound half were rush goals. It wont translate 100 percent but his work ethic and explosiveness will help him

Also Boro scored 22 points on a worse Bingo team. Claessan's totals mean barely anything. Gryba had 20 points and an 11 point 38 game season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad