Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Chris Kelly (1 yr $900,000)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
tzA4jW.gif

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is going to be Kelly's first season since the leg being broken right? Going to be interesting to see how it goes.

I think this will definitely help the PK.

Indeed.

Apparently he's back to 100% now ... A 25-30 point guy on the 4rth line, good defensively and great on faceoffs.

Safe to say Smith will play with Pageau.

Kelly can play LW too...

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Nice depth signing. Shores up our bottom 6 a bit, which was an area of weakness. This is way better than rolling the dice on our prospects all working out when we throw them into the lineup.

Lazar to wing is the unfortunate part of this, but it would suck for him to be a perennial 4th liner anyway. At least he has a shot to succeed in the middle 6 now.

Also, injuries happen. Gotta be prepared and get depth. Depth at C is not a bad thing, folks.

And it quenches my thirst for a Condra-type player in the lineup again. Dat PK..

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Extremely low risk move. The team has to have 21 skaters. At worst, they pay Kelly 900k to sit in the press box instead of paying a younger player 700k to do the same thing. At best they get a veteran 4th line C who is an upgrade on whoever else they would have had there.

This also gives Ottawa a left handed centre to deploy. Turris, Zib, Pageau are all righties. The Senators only other one was Smith who despite now being a LWer would take draws if needed.

Lastly, this gives Ottawa some flexibility to start Lazar in the AHL if they think that is the best move for his development. Turris-Zib-Pageau-Kelly-Pyatt could be the centres at the NHL level with Lazar getting top minutes in the AHL.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
Indeed.

Apparently he's back to 100% now ... A 25-30 point guy on the 4rth line, good defensively and great on faceoffs.

Safe to say Smith will play with Pageau.

Kelly can play LW too...

Wish the face off thing was true. Hasn't had above 50% face off since 2012-2013.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Dzingel-Kelly-Neil
Pyatt

Is a forward group id be very satisfied with if they can stay healthy

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

1. Kelly is the definition of "positive influence". He won't complain about ice-time or warming the bench. He won't rock the boat. He knows every nuance about the defensive game there is. He provides leadership, experience, and mentoring to a lot of our young bottom-6 guys.

2. Pirri or Versteeg or one of those other offensive guys would have been nice but we won't really need Pirri's offense at 4th C or Vertseeg's offense if it means putting Lazar on the 4th line. Out PK sucks, not our 5v5. Lazar at 3rd RW is a better opportunity for him than 4th line detail. He'll never develop down there.

3. He's dirt cheap, leaving more money for a potential LHD or a pickup. He can also play LW if needed in case of injury issues.

4. I think he'll be our only left handed face-off guy.

Sigh

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Extremely low risk move. The team has to have 21 skaters. At worst, they pay Kelly 900k to sit in the press box instead of paying a younger player 700k to do the same thing. At best they get a veteran 4th line C who is an upgrade on whoever else they would have had there.

This also gives Ottawa a left handed centre to deploy. Turris, Zib, Pageau are all righties. The Senators only other one was Smith who despite now being a LWer would take draws if needed.

Lastly, this gives Ottawa some flexibility to start Lazar in the AHL if they think that is the best move for his development. Turris-Zib-Pageau-Kelly-Pyatt could be the centres at the NHL level with Lazar getting top minutes in the AHL.

It give us 2 left handed. Pageau and Smith switch depending on the side the faceoff is taken. Which is a good thing, since they are both good at faceoff.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Hoffman-Zibby-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Lazar/Dzingel
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil
Puempel

One of Dzingel/Lazar and Paul start in Bingo.

.....looks good to me.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Dzingel-Kelly-Neil
Pyatt

Is a forward group id be very satisfied with if they can stay healthy

I think you're close, but I think Dzingel will play RW while Puempel will make the NHL. No way they waive Puempel. Like a lot of posters, I wouldn't be surprised if Lazar starts in the AHL.

Maybe McCormick gets the 14th spot if they only roll with 7 defensemen.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What if we get Versteeg too? :naughty:

Smith-Pageau-Versteeg
Kelly-Lazar-Dzingel

(I know it won't happen)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Our major failing last season was special teams.

Kelly excels on the PK + tiny cap hit + tiny term.

Hard to find a problem with this signing.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Our major failing last season was special teams.

Kelly excels on the PK + tiny cap hit + tiny term.

Hard to find a problem with this signing.

Only problem is that they didn't acquire Jim Slater. Smith-Kelly-Slater could have been called the "Saved By The Bell" line.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
One of the few nostalgia signings that actually makes sense. This will improve the team.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Kelly was pretty terrible last year before his injury and didn't get any younger since then.
And as mentioned, he is not good at faceoffs, at all. 45% in the last 2 years.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I've been reading the Kelly thread on Boston forum.

I'm worried boys.

900K probably doesn't matter, but if his wheels are gone and the coach just keeps playing him despite his mediocre faceoffs and uninspired PKing it will get very frustrating.

Hope for the best I guess. Who knows, maybe a year off let his body heal a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad