Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Erik Brannstrom (1 year, 2 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Other NHL Teams are heavy on advanced stats and they can see Erik's strengths are in line with modern hockey

This is a 23 y/o D-man ho only has played 190 NHL games, it takes more time for D-men to reach their ceilings. He's about to enter his prime. Keep in mind he has mostly played with Josh Brown, (declined) Nick Holden, even some Nikita Zaitsev and Travis Hamonic. Despite that, his metrics are quite good

He's going to be a valuable asset. Hopefully Andlauer hires an asset manager

(see about Kleven below)

Yes Kleven has 100% to be in the plans but that's some Dorionism that we're extra rich on LHDs and extra poor on RHDs

Sanderson + Chabot + Chychrun + Kleven + Brannstrom

vs

Zub + Bernard-Docker + Thomson

:laugh:

Brannstrom has to be treated as an asset, need to sell high on him. We lost way too much capital over the years, we need to "get it back"
You can never have enough. I think they will be fine

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I would've preferred if we got him down to a similar deal like Liljegren, 2 years $1.4-1.7 million so we get some cost-controlled term on a guy that is clearly improving every season.

Happy we have him for another season. I think he's going to earn himself a deal worth top 4 value after next year!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I would've preferred if we got him down to a similar deal like Liljegren, 2 years $1.4-1.7 million so we get some cost-controlled term on a guy that is clearly improving every season.

Happy we have him for another season. I think he's going to earn himself a deal worth top 4 value after next year!
100%. My gut feeling though is that this front office wants to trade him for a depth forward and make room for Kleven maybe as early as halfway through this season.

Unless there's a change in the front office by then, and the new regime isn't as... aragornist as the current one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
100%. My gut feeling though is that this front office wants to trade him for a depth forward and make room for Kleven maybe as early as halfway through this season.

Unless there's a change in the front office by then, and the new regime isn't as... aragornist as the current one.
Look at our defence & if they don't re-sign Hamonic than what does the defence look like? Also look at every other team & how they are getting bigger & tougher & did you watch the playoffs at all, did you notice the Vegas defence?

Reactions: Senovision

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Look at our defence & if they don't re-sign Hamonic than what does the defence look like? Also look at every other team & how they are getting bigger & tougher & did you watch the playoffs at all, did you notice the Vegas defence?
Exactly we need size, strength, and physicality.
It just isn't there in our current d-corp. There is a reason why most teams don't want and don't have small sized defensemen. But it's not only size but to have that nasty mean streak as well. It keeps other teams honest and makes the players on your team play bigger.

Reactions: aragorn

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I am all for signing Hamonic, assuming our front office is going to find room under the cap to make it happen. I also like Kleven. None of this needs to happen at Brannstrom's expense. There will be plenty of injuries to give room for everyone to play.

As for the playoffs, well, having players like Brannstrom will help us get there, maybe less so once we're there. I'm just happy if we make it that far, I can't remember what the playoffs felt like as a Sens fan.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Take DeBrincat to arb and get the lower salary

Brannstrom continues to develop.

At the TDL move DeBrincat for a 1st and a top young prospect. Move Brannstrom as an up and coming top 4 for a middle 6 winger with a bit of term who plays physical hockey.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Take DeBrincat to arb and get the lower salary

Brannstrom continues to develop.

At the TDL move DeBrincat for a 1st and a top young prospect. Move Brannstrom as an up and coming top 4 for a middle 6 winger with a bit of term who plays physical hockey.
Will need to move a couple million out to fit in under the cap, but it is definitely a route that should be explored

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I am all for signing Hamonic, assuming our front office is going to find room under the cap to make it happen. I also like Kleven. None of this needs to happen at Brannstrom's expense. There will be plenty of injuries to give room for everyone to play.

As for the playoffs, well, having players like Brannstrom will help us get there, maybe less so once we're there. I'm just happy if we make it that far, I can't remember what the playoffs felt like as a Sens fan.
Even if they take DBC to arbitration they still need to move out someone, my first pick would be Joseph because he is easiest to replace & Brannastrom second as IMO we need to get bigger & tougher on D especially on the 3rd pairing. If we can move out both in one move that's about $5 mil & they could get a decent player at that amount.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Will need to move a couple million out to fit in under the cap, but it is definitely a route that should be explored

Even if they take DBC to arbitration they still need to move out someone, my first pick would be Joseph because he is easiest to replace & Brannastrom second as IMO we need to get bigger & tougher on D especially on the 3rd pairing. If we can move out both in one move that's about $5 mil & they could get a decent player at that amount.
I think it could be Joseph that's the odd man out. We still need RDs as we don't have that many or depth at that slot and there will be modest savings if Brannstrom is moved.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Come on guys, Brannstrom is not going anywhere. At the end of year presser PD was asked who exceeded expectations and he emphatically said Brannstrom and now he's signed for a year.

I can see him moved at the TDL for a tough winger with some term, but there's no question that he's in the opening night lineup, barring injury

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Come on guys, Brannstrom is not going anywhere. At the end of year presser PD was asked who exceeded expectations and he emphatically said Brannstrom and now he's signed for a year.

I can see him moved at the TDL for a tough winger with some term, but there's no question that he's in the opening night lineup, barring injury
I mean, right before trading Zibanejad, Dorion was gushing about how he was in the best shape of his life and ready to take the next step, sometimes you put on theatrics, sometimes you trade players you really like, sometimes it's a bit of each.

I think Brannstrom is well behind Joseph on the list of guys we could trade to make room, but he's probably the easiest player on the roster to move. The issue is were only saving about 1.1 but swapping him for Kleven in the lineup, so it's not a big savings.

I'd prefer we hold off on trading him until we are sure Kleven is ready, and hopefully he's improved his trade stock a bit further.

Reactions: God Says No

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just saw this proposal on CF :

OTT​

1. 2024 7th round pick (NYI)
  2. 2026 4th round pick (NYI)

NYI​

1. Brännström, Erik
  2. 2024 4th round pick (DET)

lol who in their right mind would give up Brannstrom for a 7th round pick?

Seriously, if you want to know who understands modern hockey or not, just look at their Brannstrom' valuation. Hamonic type is the past, Brannstrom type is the present and the future. Fast puck retrieval and passing under control is much more important now than just be tough and clear the zone without control.

I wouldn't even trade Brannstrom for a late first round pick. He is a Tobias Enstrom in the making and is already half-way there (almost there defensively though). I would only trade him to get a piece that would improve my team (right now, it'd be a two-way middle-six winger)

Here's why I have compared those 2 for 3 years now :

Both 5'10 LHD from Sweden, thought to be offensive D-men but primarily good defensively. Can run a PP really well but excel in puck retrieval and in transition. They move the puck swiftly. Both can get physically dominated in front of the net or in the corners but won't shy away from contact to make the play.

The main difference between the 2 is that Toby started his NHL career at 23 y/o (EB played his first NHL game at 19 y/o), the age Branny is now. Enstrom averaged 35 pts per 82 games during his career so we'll see what Brannstrom can do offensively from now on. 20 from 23 Brannstrom has averaged 21 pts per 82 games.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
lol who in their right mind would give up Brannstrom for a 7th round pick?

Seriously, if you want to know who understands modern hockey or not, just look at their Brannstrom' valuation. Hamonic type is the past, Brannstrom type is the present and the future. Fast puck retrieval and passing under control is much more important now than just be tough and clear the zone without control.

Teams always end up needing defencemen who can play in the NHL.

If you do want to trade him, there will be plenty of takers when injuries hit around the league.

Reactions: dekem and Xspyrit

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2 thoughts.

1. Who has more value right now to the Ottawa Senators. Brannstrom or Pinto?
2. Not saying anything close to we should; Who would have more value on the open market in a trade Brannstrom or Pinto?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I actually thought Brannstrom was going with ADB.

Obviously I'd also like to keep him for depth in an ideal world. I don't think his contract is unreasonable.
Neither do I and I think he can be valuable as depth. I don't imagine negotiating with Yzerman is easy on the returns being suggested,
Brannstrom may not be great for playoff hockey.. but that bridge can be crossed when we look like a playoff team that can threaten to advance at all.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean, right before trading Zibanejad, Dorion was gushing about how he was in the best shape of his life and ready to take the next step, sometimes you put on theatrics, sometimes you trade players you really like, sometimes it's a bit of each.

I think Brannstrom is well behind Joseph on the list of guys we could trade to make room, but he's probably the easiest player on the roster to move. The issue is were only saving about 1.1 but swapping him for Kleven in the lineup, so it's not a big savings.

I'd prefer we hold off on trading him until we are sure Kleven is ready, and hopefully he's improved his trade stock a bit further.
Bit of a necrobump on this, but I was shocked at the trade for this reason. Iirc, he was on TSN radio days or maybe weeks prior, as you say, gushing over Zibanejad and going on that he was that cornerstone #1 center of their future and the most important piece. Was very confusing for me at the time.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bit of a necrobump on this, but I was shocked at the trade for this reason. Iirc, he was on TSN radio days or maybe weeks prior, as you say, gushing over Zibanejad and going on that he was that cornerstone #1 center of their future and the most important piece. Was very confusing for me at the time.
Hmmm wonder who made the call to move Zibby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad