Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Preds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It looked like last year's team in the third

We played a fine first two which is progression from last year overall

Of course the fact that the wheels fell off the wagon in the third is concerning but it's the first game, **** happens

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Neither way is the incorrect way to defend, it all depends on the system that is deployed. Karlsson took away the middle of the ice and kept him to the out side that's exactly what he had to do, sometimes when you chase behind the net like that you have no shot at making a play on the player so some systems have the other D take that guy as he comes to his post. Ottawa runs a system similar to this they don't chase behind he net often, they protect the net. Cowen was out to lunch on this one, he should have cut weber off as he went around but was too slow to react.

Sorry but there isn't a defensive system that allows the puck carrier free movement in the defensive zone 5 on 5.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
IMO it isn't about the bounce as much as it is about decision making.

MacArthur made a risky pass to Turris with Preds on top of him, when the safe play was skate it out or dump it out of the zone.

I find with MacArthur and Turris they are very apt to make the high risk attempts and not the safe play.

For this team to be successful 'high risk" can't be in their repertoire IMO.

I agree, generally speaking, but with all due respect, a 5 foot pass should not be considered a risky play in the NHL, especially if it involves our skilled players. Sloppiness aside, we had some bad bounces last night that could have changed the complexion of the entire game had they went the other way.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Cowen? He's right where he should be at that point in time assuming Michalek's in the right spot too.

And why's Chiasson got so much distance that he's trying to hook Weber?

Honestly, it was a full team effort to fail on that one - including the goaltender.

That screen cap was to show more that Cowen was back when Weber is beginning his trip behind the net. The problem is that Cowen pretty much just stays in that spot frozen until Weber starts to shoot. At this point Cowen should have started his move to the far post.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I agree, generally speaking, but with all due respect, a 5 foot pass should not be considered a risky play in the NHL, especially if it involves our skilled players. Sloppiness aside, we had some bad bounces last night that could have changed the complexion of the entire game had they went the other way.

Still no reason for BOTH of the D to be out the zone before the puck left. This year, defense should be priority one. Don't leave the zone unless the puck does. On that play the defenders (Cowen and Karl) cheated up the ice and we got burnt.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Still no reason for BOTH of the D to be out the zone before the puck left. This year, defense should be priority one. Don't leave the zone unless the puck does. On that play the defenders (Cowen and Karl) cheated up the ice and we got burnt.

Lol oh for sure, that's a no brainer. A little over eager on that one!

But that only proves my point. The pass itself should have been a simple play, to the point where BOTH Karlsson and Cowen took off, assuming Turris would receive the pass and peel out of the zone. One bad bounce later and they all look like goofballs. The pass itself wasn't "risky", but everyone fleeing the zone was moronic.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Man, so sick of guys here posting about "this fanbase" and "panicking" and that line of junk. Talk about reading into things. 95% of the post-game threads are guys talking about plays, breaking them down as they saw it, and debating the relative strengths and weaknesses of the team we root for. That's not panicking or unfair or anything but just being a sports fan. Seriously, what do some of you expect to read here? 1000 posts of "Go Sens Go!" That's what a discussion board is for, and that's what is going on in this "**** show of a thread."

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Sorry but there isn't a defensive system that allows the puck carrier free movement in the defensive zone 5 on 5.

There absolutely is. The idea is to NEVER chase around a player, you always want to keep them on the outside. They always want to "have their man" but the in a properly executed defensive zone strategy, players tend to stick to their coverage zones.

This is assuming the opposite team has control of the puck in the zone.

Wingers typically watch the D and the lower boards on their wing. They normally shouldn't really be going down below the goal line when the other team has control of the puck in the zone.

The D stay on their side of the ice as well. Assuming Karlsson was the one chasing Weber and Cowen is in position guarding the front of the net, Karlsson would normally stop at his goal post, the cover the front of the net and it would be up to Cowen to go towards Weber.

Although Cowen was a little slow to get to him, Andersson really dropped the ball with that slow ass lateral movement. The image posted above shows he's out of his net in the butterfly while Weber is at the goal line with his only possible shot being a backhander. Anderson should have gone back a bit and hugged the post giving him leverage to push across the crease and beat Weber to the other side with ease. It happened to him on at least another occasion.

Anyway, big deal, 2 mistakes that lead to goals. Rinne wasn't very sharp on Turris' goal either, should the Preds panic?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man, so sick of guys here posting about "this fanbase" and "panicking" and that line of junk. Talk about reading into things. 95% of the post-game threads are guys talking about plays, breaking them down as they saw it, and debating the relative strengths and weaknesses of the team we root for. That's not panicking or unfair or anything but just being a sports fan. Seriously, what do some of you expect to read here? 1000 posts of "Go Sens Go!" That's what a discussion board is for, and that's what is going on in this "**** show of a thread."

Nothing pisses me off more than people who say, "**** this fanbase." Or "Never change Sens fans." It gets so ****ing old and makes you ridiculously condescending and a jerk. There's always a select few but hopefully it dies out. I actually think the posters for the Sens are some of the most logical and factual posters on these forums. Not to mention level-headed. So much so that we always get our players underrated cause there aren't homers shoving down our players in the main board like other fanbases do.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Nothing pisses me off more than people who say, "**** this fanbase." Or "Never change Sens fans." It gets so ****ing old and makes you ridiculously condescending and a jerk. There's always a select few but hopefully it dies out. I actually think the posters for the Sens are some of the most logical and factual posters on these forums. Not to mention level-headed. So much so that we always get our players underrated cause there aren't homers shoving down our players in the main board like other fanbases do.

Yip. Unfortunately it takes a while to die out. I noticed a trend last season. Kinda went from "It's only been one game.." to "It's only been 10 games.." to "Still half a season to go, relax.." etc, etc. Nothing wrong with seeing the games for what they are. Last night was quite a disappointment for me. I felt like I started to see a lot of the glaring mistakes from last year. Felt like not much had changed. Only positive I can think of is that Karlsson was way off his game, which isn't like him. So maybe if he's firing on all cylinders, the team's alright. We'll see.

It was only Nashville, so I just expected at least a win to start the season. Especially with Fisher injured. Oh well, onto Tampa.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson last night definitely had bad night. Doesn't mean anyone is turning on him, lmfao. There was one play that made me cringe.

He lost his stick and someone else gave him his stick, he skated to the bench while Nashville regained possession in good chance and it resulted into 3on1 chance for Nashville and they almost scored on a partial breakaway due to it. Karlsson should have realized they were countering and should have stayed back. Would have been easy play to cover.

He's rusty and he'll get better.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON

Some people act like it's doomsday after 1 game.
It's not a matter of the players, it's a matter of acting like the sky is falling down so quickly.

At least for me that's how it is.

Obviously this is a place for people to voice their opinions, but it is also irritating for some when someone over exaggerates and acts like it's the end of the world.

It's fine to be critical when breaking down plays, goals, player's performances, etc. But there is a hidden silver lining for over exaggeration and doomsday reactions after 1 game. It's not a rule, just a point where it may annoy some people.

This is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Careful now, someone might question if you're a Real Fan© or not.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i'm still scared karl will not get back to the level he was at right before that worthless scum stepped on him. he was incredible at both ends all over the ice dominating. some day i will watch those 14 games or whatever it was and cry. it's too soon right now.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
It is a long season, and we've only played one game. There are really two troubling things that came up for me though.

The first, which has been repeated by several posters already, is that the way we lost and the errors we made looked a lot like last season.

Second, prior to the start of the season I figured that our forwards would be fine, our goaltending would be fine, but our D was a huge concern. Nothing that happened in the game made me change my mind about needing a least one more legit top 4 guy in order to compete.

We are starting on the road, and some losses right now is not the end of the world. I would just prefer to see signs that things are turning around, even if we are losing.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Turris was horrible on draws (26.7%), while Lazar continued to be great (62.5%).

I still don't trust Cowen as you can always tell that he's having to think really hard about where he should be, rather than just playing. Ceci has a much better feel for the game already.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Holy ****! I just did some number crunching, and according to my rough calculations, extrapolating our current pace over a full season, we are looking at an approximate record of 0-82

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Holy ****! I just did some number crunching, and according to my rough calculations, extrapolating our current pace over a full season, we are looking at an approximate record of 0-82

Lmfao. Right on!

Its been one game people.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Is anyone actually knocking critical but sensible conversation?

I tend to mock the ppl jumping off cliffs but ignore the pom Pom wavers. If you're gonna be off the mark you may as well be positive.

That said, there's a lot of premature panic.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
i'm still scared karl will not get back to the level he was at right before that worthless scum stepped on him. he was incredible at both ends all over the ice dominating. some day i will watch those 14 games or whatever it was and cry. it's too soon right now.

He only got to that level after a 4 month preseason in Finland.

First game of the season and on the road. You won't know where he's at in terms of peak for a little while and preferably on home ice.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
So many blind optimists. Most of us are just seeing this for what it really is. A penny pinching team that has not improved over the offseason at all. The same product from last season was on the ice last game, and the product we enjoyed so much in 2012 and 2013 is dead

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
you can become better without making a move when a large number of players on the team are getting better and one more year closer to their peak, and that's where we are

and as for making changes, we've probably made about as many as any other team

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Same bro... my heart starts to break... then I remember his Olympics performance and his games vs Detroit last year, his brilliant games against STL and this:

Right not its just as much mental as much as it is the actual injury, imo.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So many blind optimists. Most of us are just seeing this for what it really is. A penny pinching team that has not improved over the offseason at all. The same product from last season was on the ice last game, and the product we enjoyed so much in 2012 and 2013 is dead

Personally, I don't think being accused of being an optimist can ever be an insult, no matter how you spin it.

Regardless of how realistic you think you're being, they're having a truck load more fun.

In the end, to each their own I suppose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad