News Article: Sens pick tracker

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
No one is denying the current reality. We're all aware of where our team sits in the standings. What I don't get is the constant whining that goes on here.

The only thing real fans can do when their team sucks is stick with them through the dark times... or as many here have already done is cut off all support. But then leave... stop whining about it and stop celebrating the misery of the Ottawa organization.
That’s like 10% of the problem.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
This thread is all about a Colorado first round draft pick, that they obtained in a trade.

It's Colorado's draft pick, no one else's.

BUT, there is vocal minority of Senator fans, who post here in this forum, who can't stop whining and complaining about the past, and imagined trades in the future, that have not even happened.

They create threads to trash their targets they see worthy of their scorn, and hijack others into trashing these same targets.

Oh, and if you point this out, they'll target you, and label you as a supporter/appeaser/facilitator/working for the targets of their scorn ....... so watch out.

Colorado's draft pick is dependant on the success of this year's Ottawa Senators. Ergo, it's very relevant to discuss on a board for the Ottawa Senators.

But if Senators fans can't talk about the past or future, what's the point of being on this board?

I guess we can talk about the present - a last place team with failing players, failing coaching, failing management and failing ownership. Let's focus on that.

If you don't care about the pick, don't post in a thread about it. Simple.

Last edited:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
This thread is all about a Colorado first round draft pick, that they obtained in a trade.

BUT, there is vocal minority of Senator fans, who post here in this forum, who can't stop whining and complaining about the past, and imagined trades in the future, that have not even happened.

They create threads to trash their targets they see worthy of their scorn, and hijack others into trashing these same targets.

Oh, and if you point this out, they'll target you, and label you as a supporter/appeaser/facilitator/working for the targets of their scorn ....... so watch out.
June 24th should be a fun day

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

And yet you're in here lecturing people on an issue you apparently don't care about. Good work. Its connected to the Senators, so its relevant on the Senators board.

Reactions: Deku

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Updated Stats

Called for 65 points...didn't know I was being generous! (and before a pedantic twit points out that the Sens are on pace for more than 65...since Dec 1 the Sens are playing at a 57 point pace and haven't traded away their stars YET)

Ottawa Senators

19-28-5 | 43 Points
On pace for : 67.8 points
Division Rank : 8 out of 8
Conference Rank : 16 out of 16
League Rank : 31 out of 31
Point Percentage :
41.3% (31st)
Goals Per Game :
3.058 (12th)
Goals Against Per Game :
3.731 (31st)
Even Strength GF/GA Ratio :
0.7899 (29th)
Powerplay Percentage :
21.1% (12th)
Penalty Kill Percentage :
76.4% (27th)
Shots Per Game :
29.3654 (24th)
Shots Allowed Per Game :
36.4231 (31st)
Shooting Percentage :
10.4% (9th)
Save Percentage :
.898 (9th)

PS. Not sure if Karma is involved, but the only team with less points since Dec 1...the AVS

Last edited:
Reactions: Gesus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Reporter “Knowing now that your 1st round pick will most likely be a top 2 draft pick, would you do the Duchene trade again?”

Dorion “Absolutely. That pick is gone, I don’t even think about it. Our scouts don’t think about it.”

Reporter “What do you say to the fans who think about it and have watched a last place team for 2 years in a row?”

Dorion (Blinking repeatedly, mouth slightly opened into the overwhelmed position) “We are a team”

Reporter “And last year the fans got Brady Tkachuk as a reward for a bad season, but there is no reward this this year for them because it was traded away”

Dorion “We are a team”

Reporter “In last place”

Dorion “Who would of predicted that?”

Reporter “Actually, in the preseason 80% of your fanbase and 95% of hockey pundits picked you as a bottom team”

Dorion” Ahhhh, you said it right there, TEAM. We’re a team. We are a team.”

Reporter “You are a team? That’s the message to the fans?”

Dorion “Yes”

Reporter “What do you say to the fans who already knew you were a team? Maybe the fans who had read the Ottawa Senators Wikipedia page where it states you are a hockey team? To the fans who understand what a team is?”

Dorion “We are a team”

Reporter “Okaaayyy. And what about next year. What’s coming next for the Ottawa Senators”

Dorion “A team”

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
No one is denying the current reality. We're all aware of where our team sits in the standings. What I don't get is the constant whining that goes on here.

The only thing real fans can do when their team sucks is stick with them through the dark times... or as many here have already done is cut off all support. But then leave... stop whining about it and stop celebrating the misery of the Ottawa organization.

With 'normal' teams where you feel the all-in to try to win, it is easy to bite the bullet. With a meddling, cheap, off-kilter owner who saddles your team with an equally coco for cocopuffs GM, it is hard to stomach poor performance periods because there is no guarantee it will lead to light at the end of the tunnel anytime soon.

Look at this roster and financial picture. For starters, this budget team is paying $4M this year to Alex 'washed up in 2014' Burrows, and contract retention on Dion Phaneuf (and even 2 more years at $1.75M). The budget team giving out this cash for a horrid GM trade and contract to a useless entity, and Phaneuf retention resulting from an ownership cheapness trade to get rid of some small contracts for one year, hoping not to have an epic fail of 4 seasons on a huge contract that could not be moved. I won't even get into the comedy if Marian Gaborik gets healthy and takes nearly $5M from insurance to salary payment if he some how gets healthy...at any point in the next 3 years!

Then we have the stupidity of stiffing our legacy player Alfie for money, only to try to cover it up with acquiring the $3M annual performance of Bobby Ryan at $7.25M per year for 3 more years, again for a team not spending near the cap, due to ownership meddling and cheapness.

In Edmonton, a budget team was screwed over by a dumb GM selling top talent for scraps and giving out bad contracts, and fans are livid.

In Calgary, a budget team with competent management and ownership has seen them rise to tops in the west.

Here in Ottawa, worst record in hockey, no 1st pick, cheapness likely to run our best 2 players out of town, and seasons to go covering Ryan and Phaneuf money for no real return, and incompetent ownership and GM factor for the foreseeable future.

Just imagine if the emerging Zibanejad and Karlsson were simply retained, not traded for nothing of value on the current roster - we'd have 5 star players, a playoff spot, and some high potential prospects on the way. Instead, we likely will have 1 star and prospects after this season...oh and Bobby |Ryan...plus Pete Dorito's genius manning the steering wheel.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

This is the part that gets me, though I think I understand.

Given that those who are furious have come to realize that they can’t actually access the focal points of their frustrations, the team simply ignores angry belligerent folks, many have turned to trying to harm the next best thing in their minds: fans that are still looking to enjoy/support their team as best they can in spite of the obvious issues.

A few posters in particular do little besides argue and insult those of us who don’t dedicate our precious time to endlessly bashing management, coaching, ownership, etc...

Some make the best of tough situations, and some look to burn the whole thing down around them.

This will all pass eventually one way or another.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Given that those who are furious have come to realize that they can’t actually access the focal points of their frustrations, the team simply ignores angry belligerent folks, many have turned to trying to harm the next best thing in their minds: fans that are still looking to enjoy/support their team as best they can in spite of the obvious issues.

A few posters in particular do little besides argue and insult those of us who don’t dedicate our precious time to endlessly bashing management, coaching, ownership, etc...

Some make the best of tough situations, and some look to burn the whole thing down around them.

Please report any posts that you feel you are being insulted/flamed or trolled.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

This is a discussion forum.

Opposing points of view will be discussed.

Hopefully you’ll be able to accept that the Sens organizations recent track record is worthy of ridicule.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Just to seem fair and reasonable, it seems about time that the Avs fans start their own avspicktracker.com site. The Avs have been the worst team in the NHL since the beginning of December (like around a 55 point pace).

I believe that the Avs noticed that the Sens seemed reasonably competitive at times and became concerned that the Sens would not take care of business, so the Avs decided to take care of things themselves.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
"Vocal minority" We really gonna open up that debate again?

This thread might hurt the feelings of the "other side of the argument" but giving away a top-three pick would be historically bad (and therefore, worth dicussion). The season is far from over, but it's obviously not looking good right now.

I don't really blame anyone for taking an early victory lap the way some people were hyping this team up earlier in the year.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Just to seem fair and reasonable, it seems about time that the Avs fans start their own avspicktracker.com site. The Avs have been the worst team in the NHL since the beginning of December (like around a 55 point pace).

I believe that the Avs noticed that the Sens seemed reasonably competitive at times and became concerned that the Sens would not take care of business, so the Avs decided to take care of things themselves.

Admittedly, the karma kicking in is nice :laugh:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
"Vocal minority" We really gonna open up that debate again?

This thread might hurt the feelings of the "other side of the argument" but giving away a top-three pick would be historically bad (and therefore, worth dicussion). The season is far from over, but it's obviously not looking good right now.

I don't really blame anyone for taking an early victory lap the way some people were hyping this team up earlier in the year.

Mmm, I’m not convinced that taking a ‘victory lap’ of misery and bitterness is going to make fans who enjoyed the team’s play to start the year feel bad dude, lol. It does sound like behavior that we try and weed out in preschool though... :)

Some people aren’t the type to dwell or be perpetually doom and gloom about a sports team, no matter how hard the ‘other side of the argument’ tries. The release of endorphins from a few ‘victory laps’ might make folks feel a little better in general though... ;)

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Getting two top 10 picks isn't the worst thing in the world.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Mmm, I’m not convinced that taking a ‘victory lap’ of misery and bitterness is going to make fans who enjoyed the team’s play to start the year feel bad dude, lol. It does sound like behavior that we try and weed out in preschool though... :)

Some people aren’t the type to dwell or be perpetually doom and gloom about a sports team, no matter how hard the ‘other side of the argument’ tries. The release of endorphins from a few ‘victory laps’ might make folks feel a little better in general though... ;)

As always, the extremists on either side of an argument end up looking silly. The "sky is falling" crowd are just as nuts as those who choose to bury their head in the sand and ignore the realities around this organization.

I just don't happen to blame anyone for taking joy in being "right" when so many others we're doing it early in the year when the team was clearly playing above it's head.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As always, the extremists on either side of an argument end up looking silly. The "sky is falling" crowd are just as nuts as those who choose to bury their head in the sand and ignore the realities around this organization.

I just don't happen to blame anyone for taking joy in being "right" when so many others we're doing it early in the year when the team was clearly playing above it's head.

So we have at least three teams right now!

We have extremists on either side of whatever it is you’re talking about, and we have sensible you in the middle somewhere....

We should design jerseys and start a league!

Honestly though, I think if we were looking at facts, like real facts, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that the entire fanbase is basically in agreement concerning the ‘realities’ of the organization.

I think things diverge when it comes to the idle speculations, the extrapolations, and most importantly, the emotional responses to all of the facts and speculations. We all have the same base of information to react to, no one is burying their heads in the sand in my opinion. That’s far to simplistic way of discarding whole sets of perspectives. You’re not actually being any different than the two extremes you describe, you’re just doing it to both sides.

We see this kind of divisiveness all the time in politics, religion, and family stuffing recipes...

I think the hardest thing is taking the time to try and understand opposing perspectives, and not just the opinions, but the perspectives. It’s an investment, especially when emotions play a part, but you really can get a pretty clear understanding of people, and see that we’re all pretty rational for the most part, we just experience the same set of information differently. Of course, some people are just crazy.... ha!

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Update

Ottawa Senators

19-28-5 | 43 Points
On pace for : 67.8 points
Division Rank : 8 out of 8
Conference Rank : 16 out of 16
League Rank : 31 out of 31
Point Percentage :
41.3% (31st)
Goals Per Game :
3.058 (12th)
Goals Against Per Game :
3.731 (31st)
Even Strength GF/GA Ratio :
0.7899 (29th)
Powerplay Percentage :
21.1% (14th)
Penalty Kill Percentage :
76.4% (27th)
Shots Per Game :
29.3654 (24th)
Shots Allowed Per Game :
36.4231 (31st)
Shooting Percentage :
10.4% (8th)
Save Percentage :
.898 (23rd)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
So we have at least three teams right now!

We have extremists on either side of whatever it is you’re talking about, and we have sensible you in the middle somewhere....

We should design jerseys and start a league!

Honestly though, I think if we were looking at facts, like real facts, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that the entire fanbase is basically in agreement concerning the ‘realities’ of the organization.

I think things diverge when it comes to the idle speculations, the extrapolations, and most importantly, the emotional responses to all of the facts and speculations. We all have the same base of information to react to, no one is burying their heads in the sand in my opinion. That’s far to simplistic way of discarding whole sets of perspectives. You’re not actually being any different than the two extremes you describe, you’re just doing it to both sides.

We see this kind of divisiveness all the time in politics, religion, and family stuffing recipes...

I think the hardest thing is taking the time to try and understand opposing perspectives, and not just the opinions, but the perspectives. It’s an investment, especially when emotions play a part, but you really can get a pretty clear understanding of people, and see that we’re all pretty rational for the most part, we just experience the same set of information differently. Of course, some people are just crazy.... ha!

While I certainly appreciate you putting words in my mouth, this has gotten a little too off-topic for me. If you have any interest in getting back on topic and discussing the Senators possibly gifting a top-four pick to the Colorado Avalanche I'll be more than happy to respond, otherwise we can probably just let this die.

Regards,

Your sensible friend in the middle

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
While I certainly appreciate you putting words in my mouth, this has gotten a little too off-topic for me. If you have any interest in getting back on topic and discussing the Senators possibly gifting a top-four pick to the Colorado Avalanche I'll be more than happy to respond, otherwise we can probably just let this die.

Regards,

Your sensible friend in the middle

There was some cheekiness in there on my part, on purpose, my intention wasn’t to offend you.

Yeah the pick spot is not ideal, though I would not have guessed we would have been this bad at the time of the trade. As much as I enjoy the thought of picking so high again as a consolation prize to yet another lame season, I would be totally fine with the situation if Duchene is signed. It is not likely, though not impossible, than any of the top 4 players picked will ever end up as good as Duchene, and I think between him and Stone this team can develop well over the next few years.

I also think that they should be retained at all costs, even at the risk of potetially being derided for another Ryan type deal in a few years, if only to repair some of the lost fan confidence in the team’s ability to retain players. EK should be an oulier.

I think this season has made some strange bedfellows given the myriad of issues the team has suffered from. Singing Stone and Duchene would serve to separate those who have lost confidence in spending from those who hold a personal grudge against the owner and management.

Brining it back to your spectrum, the organization has to bring the moderates back into the fold, if only to regain trust.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There was some cheekiness in there on my part, on purpose, my intention wasn’t to offend you.

Yeah the pick spot is not ideal, though I would not have guessed we would have been this bad at the time of the trade. As much as I enjoy the thought of picking so high again as a consolation prize to yet another lame season, I would be totally fine with the situation if Duchene is signed. It is not likely, though not impossible, than any of the top 4 players picked will ever end up as good as Duchene, and I think between him and Stone this team can develop well over the next few years.

I also think that they should be retained at all costs, even at the risk of potetially being derided for another Ryan type deal in a few years, if only to repair some of the lost fan confidence in the team’s ability to retain players. EK should be an oulier.

I think this season has made some strange bedfellows given the myriad of issues the team has suffered from. Singing Stone and Duchene would serve to separate those who have lost confidence in spending from those who hold a personal grudge against the owner and management.

Brining it back to your spectrum, the organization has to bring the moderates back into the fold, if only to regain trust.

Can't really disagree with anything you stated here. Maybe slightly on the pick not being better than Duchene, as I haven't really followed the top of the draft enough to make an informed case either way.

Certainly ownership management spending money on Stone and Duchene (regardless of overpaying) will be key to regaining the trust of a large majority of the fan base.

The next few weeks will be interesting around here as you figure, regardless of the outcome, the board should be more "united" than it has been for the last year. Either against ownership (if Duchene, Stone and Dzingle are shipped off unceremoniously) or with a renewed sense of optimism (those three being signed). It'll certainly be nice to have clarity one way or the other.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Can't really disagree with anything you stated here. Maybe slightly on the pick not being better than Duchene, as I haven't really followed the top of the draft enough to make an informed case either way.

Certainly ownership management spending money on Stone and Duchene (regardless of overpaying) will be key to regaining the trust of a large majority of the fan base.

The next few weeks will be interesting around here as you figure, regardless of the outcome, the board should be more "united" than it has been for the last year. Either against ownership (if Duchene, Stone and Dzingle are shipped off unceremoniously) or with a renewed sense of optimism (those three being signed). It'll certainly be nice to have clarity one way or the other.

Just to clarify, the pick could turn out to be better, it’s just not statistically likely, and as good as these guys are being touted, non are on the level of a Crosby type generational guy. If Duchene stays around ppg as a #1 Centre, as he’s done for the last 100 games or so, he’s in very elite company.

I agree... with Duchene and Stone gone it will become exclusively a prospect/pick watch team for the next several years.

The Lebreton situation will also solidify shortly which could shed some serious light on the situation, past, present, and future. The absolutely worst case scenario for me would be a continuation of the status quo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad