Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Oilers

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
We lost to the Oilers tonight.

And the Leafs lost all three games to Columbus this season by a combined score of 13-3 and they're in a playoff spot.

SO WHAT?

Scrivens was riding high and played a good game, we came up just short in the third. I'm not losing sleep over it.

We bounce back tomorrow and then go to Winnipeg and we always play them well. Relax and breath.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
That's actually quite doable. Have you seen our schedule??

Winnable games against:

Flames X2
Jets
Preds
Stars
Panthers
Hurricanes
Isles X2
Devils
Leafs (we have to beat them eventually right?)
Habs X2 (we own them lately)

To guaratee a playoff spot they'd have to win all of those...

Av's
Rangers X2
Blackhawks
Lightning X2

and two of those. They're not going to do that. You might as well put the Leafs and Canes in the tough games list too since the Sens can't seem to beat either of them.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Pittsburgh will be resting players for the playoffs and playing their backup. I wouldn't classify that game under the hard category. It feels like the season is over but you never know. The past two seasons the team looked dead in the water and then went on a run to make it in. Even in Clouston's first full season we were in danger of falling out but went on an unexpected run. The bottom line is the team isn't done until they lose 7 more in regulation. After that you're pretty much praying for no 3 pts game and the west to beat the east if you think 91 is enough.

One way to look at it is the team needs to win 2 out of 3 the rest of the season. Call it operation string together 7 2-game winning streaks if you want to get in. I hope the team looks at it this way. Really they have their fate in their hands since playing at a 14-6 or 15-5 pace will get a playoff spot.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
And the Leafs lost all three games to Columbus this season by a combined score of 13-3 and they're in a playoff spot.

SO WHAT?

Scrivens was riding high and played a good game, we came up just short in the third. I'm not losing sleep over it.

We bounce back tomorrow and then go to Winnipeg and we always play them well. Relax and breath.

I'm not panicking. In fact I've accepted this season is a throwaway, but things will need to change if we want to get back on track next season. You should probably lower your expectations as well.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
That is so inaccurate it's ridiculous. I love how you present your opinion as fact. I'm not sure why you are so convinced Ryan was only here for one season. That's why he said about 357 times how much he loved Ottawa as a city, the fanbase, the organization, a lot of the guys on the team. You don't BS that stuff. Someone who wants a quick stay with a team says as little as possible, does his job and then makes a quick exit as soon as he can. Instead, Ryan has made it known every chance he could get that he'd be open to re-signing here.

And do you honestly believe that players make their decisions on a whim based off ONE season? No, because then a year or two later that team can make a deep playoff run, maybe win a Cup and then they feel stupid and regret their decision. Most players, especially the younger ones with many years left in their career....tend to give an organization a chance.

I could easily see Ryan signing a 2-3 year deal here if he got the right $$$ and then re-assessing things after that contract where he would still be young enough and in his prime years to go elsewhere.

You're wrong.....Ryan very well could move on in the summer....but I can guarantee he's a professional and is not thinking about that right now. He wants to break out of his slump and help this team make the playoffs.

I never thought he would be gone after this season barring a trade. He's UFA after next season. He'll be off to a big market contender at that point.

Look, Ryan seems to be a good guy. Of course he's saying the right things. They all do. He's probably not even thinking about his next contract.

Nonetheless he is a highly sought after commodity (young PF) and when he's a UFA do you think he's going to hang around a team with limited resources? No, he will get his money from a team that can pay him top dollar and surround him with other good players.

It's just what happens in sports.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
There's much a lot of good we can pull from this game, Spezza showed up and actually played great! A goal and a couple moves that's what I like to see. I really liked the lines out there minus condra on the first, he needs to be replaced by skill. Scrivens also played amazing. You win some you lose some.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
K so. The captain set an example tonight. For the whole team to follow, this is what people wanted no? A team Ottawa desperately needed and the captain came through with probably his best game of the season. And who followed? I mean. He has the letter c on his shirt? That means teammates automatically follow his example does it not? Spez came to play. No one else did. Where was Ryan. Where was Turris. Even karlsson. Yeah I know he scored that goal which pretty much only works against the Edmonton oilers. Doesn't matter what the captain does. Good or bad. Players are gonna play the way they're gonna play.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
WE'RE FOUR POINTS OUT OF A PLAYOFF SPOT, BATTLING THE ****EN BLUE JACKETS, DEVILS AND AN OLD, BANGED UP RED WINGS TEAM.

Say that to yourself a few times. Just do it. You'll feel better!

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
K so. The captain set an example tonight. For the whole team to follow, this is what people wanted no? A team Ottawa desperately needed and the captain came through with probably his best game of the season. And who followed? I mean. He has the letter c on his shirt? That means teammates automatically follow his example does it not? Spez came to play. No one else did. Where was Ryan. Where was Turris. Even karlsson. Yeah I know he scored that goal which pretty much only works against the Edmonton oilers. Doesn't matter what the captain does. Good or bad. Players are gonna play the way they're gonna play.

??? Karlsson was walking players all day. Ryan was robbed on a save of the month by Scrivens. Turris played as consistently as he has all season. All of these players have shown up more thoughout the season than Jason Spezza. Maybe they're just tired of his ********?

CFlat91

Oct 8, 2013
Ottawa
Last two games are against Toronto and Pittsburgh.

simpsons-awkward-collar-pull-o.gif

Back to back too

simpsons-awkward-collar-pull-o.gif

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
??? Karlsson was walking players all day. Ryan was robbed on a save of the month by Scrivens. Turris played as consistently as he has all season. All of these players have shown up more thoughout the season than Jason Spezza. Maybe they're just tired of his ********?

Turris was getting tossed around. Wow. Goalie stopped Ryan from scoring a goal, that must mean Ryan played great. My point is captains example means little on the ice for grown men.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Has Ryan really earned his ice time recently? Everyone calls for accountability but I think they're caught up in past performance. Ryan hasn't done much of note lately. It doesn't bother me so much that he's not getting time...it bothers me more that we have paid a premium for a guy that has completely disappeared.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
they get too cocky. Thats the problem with PMac

Yep. First year, he takes a team many predicted to challenge for dead last and gets them into the playoffs, pushes the top seed to game 7 in the first round. Finalist for the Jack Adams.

Second year, takes a team riddled with injuries to its stars and gets them to play above their heads and into the playoffs. Knock out the division leaders in the first round. Jack Adams win.

Hard to not get a bad case of ego when that's your first 2 years as an NHL head coach. Perhaps this is why he plays underperforming players he has mancrushes on so much? Thinks he's so good his hunches must be right? Just throwing the idea out there. Alas, I don't have a direct line to MacLean's brain.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Has Ryan really earned his ice time recently? Everyone calls for accountability but I think they're caught up in past performance. Ryan hasn't done much of note lately. It doesn't bother me so much that he's not getting time...it bothers me more that we have paid a premium for a guy that has completely disappeared.

He hasn't had a good 60 minutes since the Olympic snub.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

His ice time was way down even when he was still scoring on the Turris line. This is not a new thing. Plus reducing his ice time gives him less of a chance to score and get going again.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

He hasn't really.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
in MacLean's interview, the difference tonight was that we didn't score enough goals.

So offense was the problem this game according to him.

SenatorArmy*

You tend to disappear & not do much of note when you're put on the 3rd line. MacArthur-Turris-Ryan were one of the best lines in the league. Why mess with that? Putting your star players in positions to not succeed doesn't strike me as Jack Adams caliber coaching. Seems to me as though MacLean can't grasp the reality of his own team. He thinks he can constantly mix & match lines like it's musical chairs & expect results. I'm not on the fire MacLean bandwagon though, I just think he tries to be too edgy & unpredictable instead of embracing simple fundamentals.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
in MacLean's interview, the difference tonight was that we didn't score enough goals.

So offense was the problem this game according to him.

at least he has a plan for next game. 'have to do more'

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
You tend to disappear & not do much of note when you're put on the 3rd line. MacArthur-Turris-Ryan were one of the best lines in the league. Why mess with that? Putting your star players in positions to not succeed doesn't strike me as Jack Adams caliber coaching. Seems to me as though MacLean can't grasp the reality of his own team. He thinks he can constantly mix & match lines like it's musical chairs & expect results. I'm not on the fire MacLean bandwagon though, I just think he tries to be too edgy & unpredictable instead of embracing simple fundamentals.

Funny...that third line consisted of Mike "Ready to be our #1 Centre" Zbad and Mike "Pure Speed, purer scorer" Hoffman. Their first games together, people were getting moist from their excitement over their play. They even scored against Detroit.

Today, line struggles, Maclean is teh sucks and he needs to put him back with Turris and Mac.

The only other time he's been split from them was to play with Spezza. Which is another move people demanded when he was slumping.

And everyone is still ignoring how he said himself that he's been playing thru a bad injury for quite some time. Maybe he can't handle more ice time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad